Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who works on their own bikes and who takes them to the LBS?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 04:38 PM
brucelee
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today we’re going to talk about the guy that owns this bike, the scourge of the professional bicycle mechanic. A man that doesn’t care what happens to his bike or his mother. A godless man who tips 4% and eats the last cookie without even asking.
The most uninterested man in the world.
He doesn’t always clean his bike, but when he does, he throws it in the ocean and waits for it to wash back to shore.

I want to make a case for working on your own bike. At least give it a try!
I jotted down some other reasons in a recent blog article, you can find it here if you feel like an informational laugh.

Keep the rubber side down! Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
old rusty bike.jpg (95.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-17-14, 04:54 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 70/30. 70% work on my own stuff, 30% bike shop. Depends on how much time I have to mess with it myself.

Things I do myself:
swap cranks
swap pedals
adjust brakes
cassette change
chain install
change chainrings
etc

I am moron when it comes to adjusting the derailleurs so I ALWAYS take that to the shop.
I aint cutting no steerer tube myself.
Old 01-17-14, 05:22 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do about 98% and let the shop handle the 2% that requires tools that I don't have.

My bike tools consist of a $150 tool kit from bikeisland.com
Old 01-17-14, 05:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
I'm sorry, but your movies are overrated.
Old 01-17-14, 05:35 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do 90% of mine.

Derailleur adjustments
Brake install/adjustments
Chain install/cleaning/etc
Swap Pedals/Cassettes/Cranks

I don't have a wheel truing stand so I go to the shop for that.
Old 01-17-14, 05:36 PM
cerealkilla

Bikes: Scott Addict RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll do everything but BB replacement and anything that requires a pressing tool.
Old 01-17-14, 05:37 PM
MagicHour

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In my 20 years or so on/off again cycling I've found LBS mechanics in NYC can be hit or miss. For example-I just recently picked up my bike and had crank arm fall off 1/2 block from shop; so switched to another shop they neglected to resize chain after a crank/cassette change and also gave me back my bike covered with greasy fingerprints. These are just recent experiences. Of course there's been good experiences too, but mostly this has left a bad taste in my mouth and tends to make me distrustful of LBS mechanics.

The good news is from each of these %&% ups I've bought the tools and taught myself how to properly do that particular repair.
I just built up a new bike last week and feel like I have a good handle now on the basics of modern road bike mechanics - Hollowtech II cranks, torque specs for carbon fiber, cutting steerer, derailleur set up etc. I did need help from the LBS for one task and that was setting the crown race on fork as I didn't have tool - cost me $5.

So I say learn some basic repair mechanics! - it's nice to know when riding around what's going on with bike and what bearings are where etc.
Old 01-17-14, 05:47 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100% do my own work from tuning drive trains to wheels. Have built up a good set of bike specific tools over time. I have a good place to work and I get a tool to do the job if needed rather than pay for the work. Most recent addition was a kit for bleeding brakes on the 29er. Only time I have taken a bike to the shop was for a rear wheel that kept coming out of true on a new bike. They ended up replacing the wheel after trying a few times.
Old 01-17-14, 05:49 PM
Gatorfreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I can (or think I can) do it myself, I do. That's about 95% of things. Usually I figure driving to and from the LBS will take more time than just doing it myself. Same goes for non-bike stuff. I change the oil on my cars because it takes less time than going somewhere to have it done. But I pay a neighborhood kid to mow my lawn because I hate that $4!t.
Old 01-17-14, 06:24 PM
cycledogg

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I do 100% of my maintenance on bikes. Have been for over 15 years. Pop into my LBS from time to time just to shoot the BS and purchase an item to keep a good rep with the folks for new bike buys.
Cheers
Old 01-17-14, 06:41 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
I used to work in, then manage, then own an LBS, over the course of 15 years or so. Therefore I tend to do things myself, and in fact I've sometimes volunteered my time to help out at shops.

I don't own frame cutting tools, meaning things like reamers and such, and so I paid a shop to do that stuff. I bought the cutting blades since the shop didn't have them ($300? for two blades), the owner did the work.

The rest of it is pretty straight forward, at least on a road bike without Di2 or hydraulics, so what I know applies virtually all the time.

To put things in relative terms I usually do the car brakes (pads or/and rotors), oil changes, install/remove the snow tire package (and actually install tires when I lived closer to my friend that has the tire mounting and balancing machines), etc. I don't do timing belts. I've done axles, regular belts, some other stuff.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-17-14, 06:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Also I try to share what I do so that other people can learn. It seems that the things I link to most are how to do handlebar tape, how to clean the whole bike, and how to clean the drivetrain.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-17-14, 06:50 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I tend to work on my single speeds, retrofriction and etc. bikes about 100% at home. Modern drivetrains and I just don't seem to understand each other so I'd say it's about 50-50 for modern multi-geared bikes.
Old 01-17-14, 06:56 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 75 Times in 62 Posts
I do virtually all the work myself on my own bikes. Over the years, I've bought tools as needed and now have a pretty complete tool inventory.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 01-17-14, 07:06 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I do all my own work. I build my own wheels, assemble my bikes from parts. I can't remember the last time someone else worked on one of my bikes.
Old 01-17-14, 07:23 PM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experiences like Vicegrip's have led me do what Magichour does. I've let the lbs do things I did not have the tools for and had to fix what they did. Most recent: New bike has a press fit bb - I dont have press fit tools. I had an occasiona clicking noise in the BB, took it in for BB service. Got it back with a continious creaking - problem: one crank bolt was over torqued, the other loose. Next time I will get the tools and do it my self. (For a bit of humor - after I fixed the creaking due to the improperly torqued crank, I discovered the clicking noise that was coming from the BB was occuring while I was WALKING AROUND THE GARAGE IN MY BIKE SHOES! Seems the unused cleat thread was moving around in the sole. I'm sure you have been there and done that.) Regardless, not tightening the crank properly is just not acceptable and next time I'll do it my self.

Good riding (and wrenching) to all of you!
Old 01-17-14, 07:49 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Another do-it-yourselfer. Done pretty much everything, including framebuilding (steel & aluminum) except carbon layup.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-17-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 07:56 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
DIY'er here. The only thing I haven't done is build up and true a wheelset. The last DIY project I had was drilling (3) holes on the De Rosa to accommodate internal EPS wiring, along with modding the EPS battery bottle cage holders to fit them differently on both bikes.
Old 01-17-14, 08:08 PM
BR46

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do all my own work.
Old 01-17-14, 08:15 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Liked 799 Times in 397 Posts
I do all my own work, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.jpg (100.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-17-14, 08:19 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,813 Times in 1,664 Posts
I do my own, but generally buy wheels from the professionals.
Old 01-17-14, 08:43 PM
SSRI

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
almost all work
except for a few areas
would like to learn
wheel building. ( got a video VHS from performance a lot of years ago but haven tried it)
frame prep, ( no reaming tool)

just pick up a 1" 24 tpi thread die with handle
going to try to extend a thread on an old fork.
Old 01-17-14, 09:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SSRI
just pick up a 1" 24 tpi thread die with handle
going to try to extend a thread on an old fork.
Use cutting oil, or at least some kind of oil.
1/4 turn cut, back off to cut the chip, repeat......

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-17-14, 09:14 PM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never built a bike...but I have done all of the changes/adjustments on my own. I download a user manual and do my best. I bought a good torque wrench and some other tools. I do need a set of chain tools and a good bike stand though.

last night is got pretty "courageous" and swapped from 105 to Ultegra brakes. That was the first time doing that.

if I ever have to do any BB work, I'll leave that to my LBS I think...
Old 01-17-14, 09:15 PM
Kuotient

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Since I work at a bike shop...I take my bikes to the LBS and work on them there =P Towels, grease, and lube galore!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.