Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Beater Bike Smack Down

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Beater Bike Smack Down

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 08:18 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Beater Bike Smack Down

Hi All, Anyone ever have the same problem I'm experiencing? I'm currently working on a Cannondale T700 and I keep thinking I can polish part X or buy a better part Y when the mission statement is to have a bike that is just to be the beater on those rides where you don't want to use anything else in the fleet.

I'll post up the finished bike later, but in the meantime show us your beater!

Brad
Old 02-04-14, 08:28 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Yes, I'm currently completing a 1987-ish Trek 400 for my son. He needs a commuter bike for college. It will probably be stolen, so I'm trying to keep the investment low.

I have purchased new wheels for $125 (lower-end Treks came with lighter-duty wheels in the day). I didn't need new tires, I had a set of almost new Vittoria Rubino Pro-techs, but I purchased a new set of commuter tires with reflective side-walls. If this keeps up, I'll have 150% of market value in the bike.

I blame the winter weather. I should be riding, and I'm inside looking at ways to improve the bikes.

This is will be the second time I've overspent on a Trek 400, I do like the utility of these bikes. The last restored 400 I owned is pictured below. It became a 2x10 with Ultegra derailleurs and Dura-Ace bar ends. It also got Mavic Open Pro rims on Dura Ace hubs. I already had most of the parts from a drivetrain conversion on a modern bike. It sold for a loss after 2 years and 3000 miles of year-around riding. I shouldn't complain.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-04-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 08:41 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
When you become an addicted buyer, over time there are so many deals out there, how does one pick a beater? Like other BF members, I have a 1983 Trek 520, a pair of 1987 Tempo/Super Sports, a Motobecane Grand Touring, etc, all acquired for an average of $50. Too nice to be beaters, but the price is right.

On the other hand, I have a Fuji Sagres, found in a trash pile, sans a wheel, that was rusty. I'll have too much time in it, but why not? I sanded and resprayed, salvaging only the seat tube decal, but the clear coat crinkled the paint. So one more time, ugh. I won't buy decals for a beater.

The ARX RD fell off on Interstate 80, but is easily replaced. The steel crankset has been donated to the bike coop, but I have an alloy set ready to mount, from a hi-tensile Centurion Lemans RS. I'd love to add barcon shifters, but like you, why spend $$ on a freebie? It's a beater!

Old 02-04-14, 08:47 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
This is my beater - everything was done on the cheap except for the head badge and saddle. I have less than $250 into the complete bike (not counting badge/saddle) and I'm thrilled with how it came out. While it might have been a budget build, it doesn't ride like a budget bike. It blends in and I don't need to worry about scratches, so I love it as my commuter bike that gets parked.

Old 02-04-14, 08:55 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Beater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
370_1.jpg (95.6 KB, 370 views)
Old 02-04-14, 09:07 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This is my beater - everything was done on the cheap except for the head badge and saddle. I have less than $250 into the complete bike (not counting badge/saddle) and I'm thrilled with how it came out. While it might have been a budget build, it doesn't ride like a budget bike. It blends in and I don't need to worry about scratches, so I love it as my commuter bike that gets parked.

So regale us again about that "Huffy" frameset...

Oh and here's one of my many beaters.
Old 02-04-14, 08:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,091 Times in 1,575 Posts
Everytime I think I am just going to build a grocery getter or run about it starts turning out too nice.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-04-14, 08:17 PM
CustomSteel

Bikes: 50's-60's Ross Deluxe, 68 Schwinn, 83 Peugeot P8, 84 Jamis Durango, 85 Peugeot PH501, 86 Raleigh Grand Prix, 91 Maruishi RX-7, 92 Marin Bear Valley, 92 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Everytime I think I am just going to build a grocery getter or run about it starts turning out too nice.
True that
Old 02-04-14, 08:29 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 166 Posts
everything was done on the cheap except for the head badge and saddle. I have less than $250 into the complete bike (not counting badge/saddle)
Um... head badge? Ok, spill.
Old 02-04-14, 08:54 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
Um... head badge? Ok, spill.
Ehhhh - everyone's seen it. As stated above, I do over post this one.

Old 02-04-14, 09:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Hi All, Anyone ever have the same problem I'm experiencing? I'm currently working on a Cannondale T700 and I keep thinking I can polish part X or buy a better part Y when the mission statement is to have a bike that is just to be the beater on those rides where you don't want to use anything else in the fleet.

I'll post up the finished bike later, but in the meantime show us your beater!

Brad
Know it all too well: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post16423731
Old 02-04-14, 09:37 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 579 Posts
Yes, guilty here, too. I started with a rusty Nishiki I thought would make a decent commuter. But there was a lot of rust under the paint. I really didn't want to repaint it, but pretty soon I found myself stripping and repainting the bike. With new paint, new decals were in order of course. But then the parts needed some TLC to fit in. Now I worry about leaving it out of sight too long. Maybe it will look more like a beater in time...

Last edited by gaucho777; 02-04-14 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 09:41 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 166 Posts

Nice!!! I musta missed those posts!!! Hope ya don't rely on that badge "blending" at the rack out by the SEPTA stop!!! Oh sorry... what, you worry?
Old 02-05-14, 06:30 AM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
As I seem destined to buy new parts, in spite of myself and evidenced by others, any new parts other than consumables will go to the other Cannondale T bike and the beater garners a hand-me-down. So far that's maybe a new crank set if I can't extract and repair the threads on the cross threaded and then pounded in pedal. WTF?

Brad
Old 02-05-14, 06:46 AM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Yes, guilty here, too. I started with a rusty Nishiki I thought would make a decent commuter. But there was a lot of rust under the paint. I really didn't want to repaint it, but pretty soon I found myself stripping and repainting the bike. With new paint, new decals were in order of course. But then the parts needed some TLC to fit in. Now I worry about leaving it out of sight too long. Maybe it will look more like a beater in time...
A lovely build and you nailed the fender's fit!

You bring up a good point about leaving a bike unattended. I rode my T bike only once for a grocery run because I just fretted about it while shopping. While I'd hate for the beater to be nicked, it wouldn't be as great of a loss if that makes sense.

Brad
Old 02-05-14, 06:53 AM
iab

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 1,439 Posts
Gets me back and forth to work most days and subsequently the most miles out of the all of my bikes. This is an older pic, it is now a fixed gear.

Old 02-05-14, 07:26 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Gets me back and forth to work most days and subsequently the most miles out of the all of my bikes. This is an older pic, it is now a fixed gear.

How vintage is this?

Waaaaay to nice to be a beater, have a look at what people ride in Shanghai sometime for comparison.

The basket is comical, is it more practical then a rear rack?

BTW here is mine: (complete with beater camera phone picture quality)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
02052014034.jpg (100.0 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by SHBR; 02-05-14 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 07:51 AM
Pistard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is that a beater?, even I ( English as a second language) understood the OP...

Originally Posted by SHBR
How vintage is this?

Waaaaay to nice to be a beater, have a look at what people ride in Shanghai sometime for comparison.

BTW here is mine: (complete with beater camera phone picture quality)

Old 02-05-14, 07:56 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I have a big wald basket on my errand bike, it's way more practical than a rear rack. Lock? Toss it in the basket. Jacket? Toss it in the basket. Take out? Toss it in the basket? 18 pack of beer? toss it in the basket.
Old 02-05-14, 08:12 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistard
How is that a beater?, even I ( English as a second language) understood the OP...

The cannondale needs a better picture to show all of the wonderful scratches, more like seriously gouged metal around the chainstay bb area, due to serious chain suck issues in the past. It rides better than it looks, far more stable than the newer bike behind it, lower stance, longer wheelbase, stiffer wheels, frame etc.
Old 02-05-14, 08:16 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Beaters are so much more fun to work on. You can do anything to 'em, drape any part you want to on them. This one has multiple parts worth more than the actual bike.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 02-05-14 at 08:18 AM. Reason: gratuitous imagery
Old 02-05-14, 08:23 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
Rails to Trails and Grocery Sales...it now sports a yellow handlebar bag and tatty bar tap.....I often get confused with the homeless when I'm out and about..... a free cup of coffee is kinda nice some days!

Old 02-05-14, 09:33 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Some awfully nice beaters on this thread. No, I don't mean this one, although I do like the way it rides.
Old 02-05-14, 09:37 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

ROFLMAO, no I really meant regale us again. I also find it quite funny you think it belongs in this thread
Old 02-05-14, 10:11 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
ROFLMAO, no I really meant regale us again. I also find it quite funny you think it belongs in this thread
Heck, why not? Beaters are more of a spirit type thing. I once used an old Viner for a beater-- the decals were largely gone, the paint didn't all match, it looked ragged. Worked well, but then vintage stuff became better known and I noticed it getting an awful lot of second looks down by VCU, so I caved in and had it redone proper like. The "Huffy" stickers are an inspired hack and probably hide that bike better than the lack of decals did the Viner.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.