Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Snow Rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 09:53 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Snow Rant

I've had shoulders bursitis in both shoulders since I was 40. I can usually avoid activities that aggravate it. I've learned that it's better for me to hire someone to paint when it's time to repaint a room in the house. And I've learned to use slightly narrower handlebars, because the angle is less pressure on the bursa sac. In the last two weeks we've had over 36 inches of snow, all of which I've had to be removed from my driveway, and 220 feet of sidewalk. I called three places to see if I could get someone to do the snow removal for me, and was told that the earliest would be in three days. Unfortunately, the township has been issuing fines to people who don't have their sidewalks cleared within 6 hours after the end of a storm. So, it's been left to me to deal with the snow. Right now I can't lift either of my arms high enough to scratch the top of my head without piercing pain. I can't even lift any of my bikes off their racks without pain. So, continuation of commuting to work by bikes seems less likely for a bit. Long story short, I've had it with this winter! Those of you who like snow can take a flying leap into one of my 7 foot snow piles. And those of you who live in the "sun belt" or other warm climates, don't you dare. Don't even think about telling me how nice it is where you live. OK, end of rant.
Old 02-18-14, 10:03 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Would the purchase of a snowblower be out of the question?

If you bought one right now, it would guarantee an early Spring.

Old 02-18-14, 12:07 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking the same thing about snowblower . I bought one five years ago after hurt my back year after year from shove the snow off the driveway and sidewalk . Maybe you can hire one of the kids in your area to clear the snow .
Old 02-18-14, 12:18 PM
big chainring 

Liked 788 Times in 371 Posts
Snow Rant

Its 40 degrees at noon in Chicago. Its a freakin heat wave. Of course we hd 6 inches of snow that made a pinpoint hit at rush hour yesterday.

Now all we need is a few inches of rain(coming Thursday) and we still have all of March ahead of us too. I'm hoping to get out on my bike, maybe in April?
Old 02-18-14, 12:21 PM
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a snow blower, 200' driveway, and I still hate snow!

My next purchase will be a 4wd tractor with a 4' blower and heated cab.

My rant is over as well....

John S
Old 02-18-14, 02:33 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Liked 244 Times in 192 Posts
"Don't even think about telling me how nice it is"

Darn! You take all the fun out of life. Lots of us who live in warm places paid out dues in the past. I spent a lot of winters in Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We just learned to do different activities when it was cold so as to maintain sanity. I still own snowshoes and cross country skis but haven't used them in more than a decade. It's easy to go up into the mountains but this year has been pretty dry so there weren't many opportunities to enjoy snow. I think the worst winters I ever experienced were my early years near NYC. Cold, humid, wet, and sometimes windy. Since you didn't need exceptionally cold weather gear most of the time I suffered when it got really nasty there. My relatives still live there and are grousing just like you. NYC has had 51" of snow so far. I think there were 8 snowstorms in the past 30 days. You might as well be living in Syberacuse (Syracuse NY) where I once applied for a job - must have been insane at the time.

By the time I moved to the Midwest I could afford clothing appropriate for the coldest weather. I still remember the one bike ride I took to the store when the wind-chill was far below zero. I was so hot upon entering the store that I had to get my stuff and get out in a hurry.
Old 02-18-14, 02:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
After last night's 8" we are now at 150" on the season. With the big lake froze over it looks like biking will begin a month later than previous years.
Old 02-18-14, 04:30 PM
johnnywhale 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

I bought one a month ago, figuring we'd never get snow, great investment, right?
One thing I have learned is throw the snow with the wind, not into it!
Just like on a boat....
Old 02-18-14, 04:54 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If money is no object and I'm sure it's not.Consider this have a snow melt system installed.A boiler would be installed in your basement.Plastic lines run under the sidewalk and driveway.A n antifreeze water solution would be used in the boiler and pipes. Flip a switch and it's done.
Now I have to take the rock salt out of the safe throw it on the front steps and sidewalk.
I saw 2 on bikes today but I don't think it's safe yet,too much snow and ice on the road.
Old 02-19-14, 10:32 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmmm, snow thrower/snow melt system , or new bike stuff? Yeah, the new bike stuff is almost always going to win this. Typically, dealing with the snow is an issue I can handle, but this year we've had way more snow. This year we've had 36+ inches. Last year we had a bit over 4 inches. Even the year before, which was heavier than normal, we only had 23 inches. But, I guess I'll just keep taking deep breaths and thinking "this too shall pass."
Old 02-19-14, 11:04 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
NOS-sorry about the shoulders and I should have warned you that it was headed your way. We had the nicest foot of snow I could have hoped for. For the most part it was dry so no significant power outages in our area. It made terrific snow cream and the best part was it was melted off the roads and sidewalks within a day or two. I normally shovel the driveway but I remembered from the last snow the neighbors didn't shovel and their driveway cleared about the same time I was finished shoveling.
Old 02-19-14, 11:19 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Truism, as valid as bird droppings on a freshly waxed car.

I have a notion how you feel not commuting for a while. Not riding seems to mess with my emotional state. I'm sick of Winter, too. Just took three days off for my stupidity: frostbitten toes. DON'T GET THIS!

I got to do a few miles today again, but still am sportin' sandals & sox around the house. Ugly. Does fit the whole Fred thing, though.

C'mon Spring

Last edited by North Coast Joe; 02-19-14 at 02:38 PM. Reason: more stupidity
Old 02-19-14, 01:58 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
This is simply an opportunity to invest in a new pedal-powered device!
Old 02-19-14, 02:01 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm I would have gladly paid a fine if it meant I wouldn't have really sore shoulders. As I get older
I find myself worrying a lot about how to preserve my health.

Charlie
Old 02-19-14, 02:04 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,230 Times in 620 Posts
Send some of that snow down here. We're practically skiing on frost!

Attached Images

Old 02-19-14, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
OP ... I here ya. it's snowing here again. if I have to rake my roof tonight I will be pissed. seems like that's all I do now. shoveling wasn't enouh, someone had to invent the ice dam and the roof rake to further complicate my life. my lower back is gonna be so happy when spring comes!
Old 02-19-14, 05:39 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
OP ... I here ya. it's snowing here again. if I have to rake my roof tonight I will be pissed. seems like that's all I do now. shoveling wasn't enouh, someone had to invent the ice dam and the roof rake to further complicate my life. my lower back is gonna be so happy when spring comes!
Raking a roof is necessary.Here is one of many reasons why.my neighbor came over and said she can't get out of her house.How did you get here.I climbed out of the window.Iwent over and the weight of the snow on the roof over the front porch pushed down on the door frame preventing it from opening.So not only do I have to shovel my roof now another.This of course is going to knock out my idea of riding my bike today.
Old 02-19-14, 06:05 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Actually, you still have to work hard with a snow blower. Easier than a shovel, but still hard work to clear a big area. My snow blower can be either two wheel or one wheel drive. Switching between the two is a manual operation - moving a locking pin - so it's not something you want to be doing at the end of each pass (you'd have to be bending over almost as much as with a shovel). With one wheel drive, you can turn it fairly easily but you have to push pretty hard on the non-drive side. With two wheel drive (which I only use when the snow is so deep or heavy that I can't push hard enough), it's a bear to turn.

Bike content: I've been blowing and shoveling so much snow, I haven't ridden in a week. Finally got a short ride in today, in between taking the wife to the grocery store and trying to repair the snow blower! I'll probably spend all day tomorrow trying to find the right impeller belt.

- Ed
Old 02-19-14, 06:37 PM
Badgerjohn
Kittery Maine / NC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow sucks after a while. Up here in Maine, we have had 8 billion feet this year and it is getting old. It's pretty and fun, but dang, it's a lot of work. Get a snowblower.
Old 02-19-14, 07:00 PM
bruce19

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX, Guru steel & Guru Photon

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts
It warmed to about 36F today and there was a "melt" for most of the afternoon. Now it's iced up with the evening drop in temp. This REALLY sucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ice 2014 001.JPG (81.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
Ice 2014 003.JPG (79.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-19-14, 07:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Because of snowiest winter in Central IN ever - was off the bike since December 29 until I got out this evening for a ride. Good chance of flooding hereabouts because of melting snow plus expected heavy rain and 60 degree temp tomorrow! Then back to very cold temps next week.
Can't complain as much as others, tho, as we were in Phoenix for the first polar vortex early in January. No bicycling while I was there but plenty of non-wintry days.
Old 02-19-14, 07:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,230 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
It warmed to about 36F today and there was a "melt" for most of the afternoon. Now it's iced up with the evening drop in temp. This REALLY sucks.
^ Yikes. That looks like an ice rink!

Old 02-20-14, 06:33 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
No smart ass remarks here about the weather, just a concern for the 50+ gang, up in this current snow and ice storage facility called the northern US, please be careful with the shoveling and snow clearing and especially working on your roof clearing. Injuries and heart attacks must be rampant up there right now and I can almost see the posts about various shoulder injuries, like NOS, and all of the strained backs coming over the next few weeks. I know that clearing and deicing is necessary, but "Lets be careful out there" (channeling the late Sgt Phil Esterhouse on Hill Street Blues.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-20-14, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
I wouldn't mind raking my roof once a week, but the past 7 days I think I did 4 times. the last time, Tuesday, was the day of my colonoscopy. just couldn't catch a break that day ...! :-)
Old 02-20-14, 08:57 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 373 Times in 258 Posts
You'd better get that heavy snow off the roof NOW, because the rains are coming today. Here in the Cleveland area we are forecast with 1-2" of rain through tomorrow morning. Just what everyone needs is an inch or two of rain soaking in to the foot or more of snow on the roof... Here yesterday they actually aired a snow-load warning for flat roof buildings - warning people to clear the gutters, drains and downspouts. Also advised people to clear the storm drains in the street to prevent flooding.

A guy on my mail route had a heated driveway. It caused more problems than it was worth. The snow melted just fine, ran down the drive and caused a big ice jam in the street that the city plows could not cope with. That city WILL NOT approve of any more heated driveways!

One of the other cities that I delivered to painted a yellow marker at the crown of the road (which gets cleared/melts first) to denote where at the curb the storm drains are. Without the drains clear, the melting snow just backs up and turns into a sheet of ice that takes MUCH longer to melt/go away than if the drains are kept clear.

I was lucky in the snow-removal department. Four years ago I won a 30" 2-stage 14hp snowblower in a charity fundraiser raffle. Of course, we hardly got any snow those next winters. I've used it this year though... The bad part is that I have a gravel driveway, so unless I leverage it up a bit, it will throw rocks 50'! Maybe it needs ski-like guides to hold it up above the stones...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.