Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pay Attention to Your Body As You Age.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 10:00 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

First, I'm thankful to Him, for watching over me. I think He took notice, of all of the prayers offered up to Him, on my behalf.

Then, come the doctors and their staffs. First, to my Cardiologist, Dr Chua, for listening to me, rather than all of the tests which were coming back negative. He took me as a new patient, literally within minutes, from my Internists telephone call. And for arranging an emergency heart catherization the very next morning(angiogram), even though all of he tests were sayin there was no problem.

Then, to Dr Sayeed, the Interventional Cardiologist, for putting an amazing 4 stents in the left side of my heart, and restoring 100% flow. 4 stents is very unusual, per the docs themselves. A 40 minute procedure turned into over 2 hours.

The Doctors say that there is no damage to my heart, which is amazing by itself. They say that I should have had massive heart attacks from any of those three severe blockages, and maybe from the one that was 75% blocked . The ICU nurses don't believe how well I'm doing.

I was told the next day, that the Doctors fully expected me to be on the operating table that night, for, at least, a four way by-pass. Even after the 4 stents.

I walked yesterday, without any pain or discomfort, so they let me go home. One day in intensive care, and I'm home.

And, I really do feel fine! (even though my groin is kinda sore, and much uglier than normal - looks like he operated on me with baseball bat!)

I had to promise that I wouldn't do anything stupid today! Of course, I'm the only one home today, so I get to decide what's stupid.

Now, the pharmaceutical companies will make a mint off of me.

I like to think that bicycling has made my heart very strong, which contributed to my good luck. The Cardiologist says I am very strong for an old guy.

Pay attention to changes in your body, any unusual aches or pains, shortness of breath, or any strange symptoms. Even ED can be a symptom of cardiovascular disease. LOL.

My case was recent chest pressure, and unexplained severe shortness of breath. A month ago, I was able to shovel snow for 7-8 hours nonstop. Last Sunday, I couldn't go 7 minutes without wanting to take a nap on the driveway!

Make sure you bring problems to your doctor's attention, and even seek out a Cardiologist for old age use........ find a young one!

Now, to find out when I get to get back on the bike...........................
Old 03-07-14, 04:10 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Wow, so glad you're ok. The immediacy of these event is what always strikes me. We're cyclists doing our best to exercise and all of a sudden you're on the table getting stents to ward off something that could have been much worse. Thanks for sharing your story and my best wishes for a rapid and strong recovery.

When can you ride again? Have the Docs said anything about easing off , do they think you'll be able to resume normal riding?

All the best......
Old 03-07-14, 04:14 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Glad you're on the mend.

My cardiologist in Atlanta said cycling was the best thing I could do for my heart.
Now that we live in FL I'm going to see cardiologist #2 . The first guy I saw last year DID NOT impress me. I hope the new one is better.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-07-14, 06:20 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was the shoveling snow that did it.. Stay away from that stuff!

That was what I had just finished when I had "My Trauma" that, if you are bored, you can read about in past posts.

Glad, no, Very Glad, you are OK and pushing on with life.
Old 03-07-14, 07:39 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Scary stuff, very happy it turned out alright. I'm sure you'll be back on the bike soon enough.

Good thing you took note of your symptoms; not sure I would be that smart.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-07-14, 07:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 890 Times in 540 Posts
We moved far enough south in FL. so there is no snow, result, problem solved.

Wishing you a speedy road to recovery.
Old 03-07-14, 08:05 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I didn't take note of my symptoms, until they got really bad - dumb, dumb, dumb!

I was out with the snow blower, and had to stop many times, hands on knees, gasping for breath, pressure on chest. It finally got so bad, that I literally wanted to lay down on the driveway, and go to sleep........... That's when I finally realized that something was seriously wrong.

I'm very lucky, that I now know better! The alternative being never to know anything again.
Old 03-07-14, 09:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Well, you should have at least a few weeks of crummy weather for rehab before Spring will demand that you ride your bike. Which should be good rehab too. Assuming you behave yourself now.
Congrats on a good outcome.
Old 03-07-14, 11:59 PM
mht7159

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear your doing so well and that you found a Dr that listened to you, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 03-08-14, 06:25 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I didn't take note of my symptoms, until they got really bad - dumb, dumb, dumb!

I was out with the snow blower, and had to stop many times, hands on knees, gasping for breath, pressure on chest. It finally got so bad, that I literally wanted to lay down on the driveway, and go to sleep........... That's when I finally realized that something was seriously wrong.

I'm very lucky, that I now know better! The alternative being never to know anything again.
Wow, I mean just plain old wow.
Old 03-09-14, 04:22 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God speed for a quick recovery.
Old 03-09-14, 04:51 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Glad you're on the mend.

My cardiologist in Atlanta said cycling was the best thing I could do for my heart.
Now that we live in FL I'm going to see cardiologist #2 . The first guy I saw last year DID NOT impress me. I hope the new one is better.
Hi Ron, Hope your second doc is better. I had the same thing happen when I found myself in Citrus Memorial a couple of years ago. The first cardio guy was not only NOT impressive but down right offensive! Anyway I ended up going to Shanes in Gainesville to see Dr. Karen Hamiltion at Cardiology at Spring Hill https://cardiology.medicine.ufl.edu/u...at-springhill/. I was lucky in that the first guy sent me to Shands for placement on the heart transplant list to finding Dr Hamilton and she agreeing to take me on as a patient. Because of the folks at Shands and my local GP I'm able to do things that someone with an EF (ejection fraction) of 20% should not be able to do and am now in class 1 heart failure. Of course some of that is due to good DRUGS, lots of riding and lack of salt oh and my little electronic box (ICD). Good luck.
Old 03-09-14, 08:05 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great life lesson. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 03-09-14, 02:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well written and inspiring story, glad that you found a physician that listened to your complaints, had the knowledge and that your Prayers were answered. Glad that things are working for you, be safe and don't rush things just because you can do them again, it isn't worth the anguish a set back causes you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-18-14, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
Of course pay attention to your body BUT dont let some little ache or pain keep you from being active. If you use them as an excuse not to ride or do other things, you will set and rust. I am 75, and a great believer in use it or lose it. Once you use age as an excuse, you are on the long down hill slide to the old dirt bed. Stay active it can wait!!!!
Old 03-18-14, 10:42 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paying attention to my body as I age is not a choice for me! It speaks to me loud and clear on a regular basis.
Old 03-19-14, 09:44 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I'm just thinking back, and the first time it happened, a few weeks before ------- went to urgent care, and they threw me in the hospital. After an almost complete battery of tests, over three days, they found nothing wrong, and sent me home without restriction.

Three days later, I have more severe symptoms than before. At this point it would have been easy to chalk it up to being old, and maybe out of shape........

Instead, I listened to my body, and pursued more care ----- luckily, my Doctors listened to what I was telling them, even though they had all of the negative test results at their fingertips.

I'm glad I listened to what my body was telling me, and very glad they listened, too!

Hopefully, I will be able to resume a full regimen of bicycle riding - once I get thru this cardiac rehab.

Gotta keep my heart strong................... and ready for pedal oscillations........... as I still have plans for many years, and many miles, of bicycle travel.
Old 03-21-14, 11:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
thank you for sharing. been to the docs a lot lately for checkups and other stuff and everyone keeps asking me about "shortness of breath" and they don't say why they are asking.
Old 03-21-14, 03:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Hi Ron, Hope your second doc is better. I had the same thing happen when I found myself in Citrus Memorial a couple of years ago. The first cardio guy was not only NOT impressive but down right offensive! Anyway I ended up going to Shanes in Gainesville to see Dr. Karen Hamiltion at Cardiology at Spring Hill UF Health Cardiology ? Springhill » Division of Cardiovascular Medicine » College of Medicine » University of Florida. I was lucky in that the first guy sent me to Shands for placement on the heart transplant list to finding Dr Hamilton and she agreeing to take me on as a patient. Because of the folks at Shands and my local GP I'm able to do things that someone with an EF (ejection fraction) of 20% should not be able to do and am now in class 1 heart failure. Of course some of that is due to good DRUGS, lots of riding and lack of salt oh and my little electronic box (ICD). Good luck.
Saw the new doc yesterday. He wants to do a couple of tests (nuclear stress, etc.) and wants me to lose 15 pounds. My wife went in with me and heard this. My cardiologist in Atlanta wanted me to lose 20 pounds. When I told her that she said I looked better than most of our male friends -- you know, with the big belly, that look like they'll be delivering any day. Before she said I didn't need to diet. Now she says its ok to diet.
He also said he didn't like my blood pressure going up and down. Sometimes its 140+/75, sometimes its 115+/75, but he did like my pulse -- 55.
Anyway, I'll see what he says after the tests.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-24-14, 02:01 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If there really was a "Him" to talk with I'd certainly give him a piece of my mind but more to the point I figure if you're over 50 and can ignore your body then more power to you, but virtually every friend I have in my over 60 crowd has no choice but to pay close attention to all the issues with their poorly evolved body. It's great for living long enough to reproduce but the second half of a century is way past it's expiration date. Science has done a remarkable job figuring out the patching and repairing needed to live longer than evolution alone would have provided for and without science neither I nor most of the over 50 crowd would be alive so I'll tip my hat to our researchers, scientists and the medical community and thank my cardiologist again when I see him in a week or so.
Old 03-24-14, 10:05 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is best to not only take care of your body when over 50, it is important at any age. What a person lives with over 50 is what they built many, many years ago.

When you think of it successful recovery from an illness or trauma depends on three things. First, pre-event physical and mental fitness. Second, hiring an excellent technician to work on your most important possession, your body. Last but not least, as aggressive rehab and continuing lifestyle care as possible.
Old 03-26-14, 12:40 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by RonH
Saw the new doc yesterday. He wants to do a couple of tests (nuclear stress, etc.).....
Did the nuclear stress today and whipped that mean treadmill.
They took a "before" scan and then another scan "after" the treadmill workout. The nurse practitioner and NM tech said my gallbladder was in the way in some views in the "after" images.
Now sit down and hold onto your chair before you read the next paragraph.

They said to go out and eat a greasy cheeseburger and fries and come back and they'd do the scan again.
Seems that the fat does something to the gallbladder so it gets smaller while its doing whatever to the fat.
We got a greasy burger and fries and went back. The gallbladder was smaller but still was in the way just a little. They said they'd work with what they had.
The doctor will call me tomorrow with the results. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by RonH; 03-26-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 01:53 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I'll be thinking of you Ron - take care, and hope all is well!