Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help to identify a Pinarello frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need help to identify a Pinarello frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 07:19 AM
EgoretZ

Bikes: '89 Titan Exklusiv, '13 Cube Curve Pro Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help to identify a Pinarello(??) frame

Hi all from Belarus) Today I've got this Pinarello frame. I should say that my knowledge about foreign frames is very poor, 'cause I'm mostly working with USSR rides, thats why the question is - what can anyone say about this frame, and does it worth to be completed back? I don't know anything about it's history, but looks like it was chrome plated + blue colour.

PS there's no numbers, except "59" on a BB (I suppose it's sizing, 'cause seatpost tube is exactly 59cm high).
PPS is this fork original or not??

Appreciate any responces!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Resize of DSC_0389.jpg (91.1 KB, 42 views)
Resize of DSC_0391.jpg (89.9 KB, 38 views)
Resize of DSC_0392.jpg (87.0 KB, 38 views)
Resize of DSC_0393.jpg (95.1 KB, 38 views)
Resize of DSC_0394.jpg (89.7 KB, 41 views)
Resize of DSC_0395.jpg (94.3 KB, 37 views)
Resize of DSC_0396.jpg (95.1 KB, 40 views)
Resize of DSC_0397.jpg (88.5 KB, 36 views)
Resize of DSC_0398.jpg (91.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by EgoretZ; 03-10-14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 07:45 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That frame looks made from parts coming from different bikes. The only pinarello part is the brake bridge, all of the other details are all wrong.

For example the seatstay tops are wrong, the fork is wrong, the BB shell is wrong, lugs are wrong and no panto anywhere but the brake bridge?. Nothing looks like any pinarello I have ever seen. Could be a low end model? Even if it was a low end, the FD tab doesnt make any sense, in low end generally speaking they were not even bothering brazing one in the frame.

If that's a pinarello it must be like a super low end one, or maybe a super old one with some upgrades done to it like the fd tab.

Some pinarello experts?
Old 03-10-14, 12:22 PM
EgoretZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ultraman6970, that's embarrassing.. Anyway, this frame doesn't look like selfmade, it's fully chrome plated. Maybe, it's a kind of replica from Poland or maybe Hungary, or anywhere else? I've seen replicas of USSR road bikes made in Poland..

I've took off the fork to look for any labels. And there is one! Just take a look.
Attached Images
Resize of DSC_0405.jpg (102.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-10-14, 02:44 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,900 Times in 1,834 Posts
Hello, EgoretZ. Welcome! I don't know what you've got there, but I agree with Ultraman that it doesn't look like your average Pinarello. It looks like a decent enough frame that has been repainted at some point and had a pretty rough life after that. What is the diameter of the seat post?

Old 03-11-14, 02:11 AM
EgoretZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Hello, EgoretZ. Welcome! I don't know what you've got there, but I agree with Ultraman that it doesn't look like your average Pinarello. It looks like a decent enough frame that has been repainted at some point and had a pretty rough life after that. What is the diameter of the seat post?
Hi) Yeah, I've found this frame at bicycle sport school They've used it for trainings..

Seatpost is 27.2 mm.
Old 03-11-14, 02:50 AM
zazenzach

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if this is or isn't a Pinarello, but i do know the former Soviets (particularly the hungarians and poles) really enjoy "refurbishing" things.

If you go on ebay you'll see tons of "Rolexes" and other higher end brands being shipped out of there. What they usually do is find an old nonworking 60's timepiece, polish all the damage from the outer case, then replace the dial/hands and whichever nonfunctioning movement parts with non OEM stuff.

So based on ultraman's comment, that could be what happened here. Someone salvaged tubing from many sources and decided to fabricate a frame with it. Makes sense if you are at a school.

Last edited by zazenzach; 03-11-14 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 03:11 AM
EgoretZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zazenzach, I agree with You =) Nope, I'm not a student at that school, i'm 29 years old)) but their coach is my friend's friend, and that is how we've get aquainted and that is how I achieved this frame.

Well, I think that the best solution would be to save the fork and to throw the frame out. I have an interesting soviet chromoly frame to make a oldie ride =)

However, welcome more opinions
Old 03-11-14, 10:13 AM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pinarello used various contract builders for professional team bikes that do not exactly match Pinarello production bikes, being that a lot of Euro ex-pro bikes made it to the Soviet Union I could see that this is possibly one of them, especially since it came from a "Sport School".

Use paint remover and strip it down, curious to see the brazing quality. Also, I believe that is a generic replacement fork.
Old 03-11-14, 11:57 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,900 Times in 1,834 Posts
I wouldn't throw out the frame just yet. It looks well-made and the 27.2 seat post diameter suggests high-end tubing. Like [MENTION=55791]vjp[/MENTION] says: strip and have a closer look.

Old 03-11-14, 12:04 PM
EgoretZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vjp, non-fixie, thank You guys for advices! I'll post new photos of this frame after stripping it =)
Old 04-13-14, 03:01 PM
EgoretZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone! I was out of forum for some time.. Well I've tried to strip this frame with a paint remover, but failed - that paint is really solid. I think the only way to remove it is to sandblast. So I decided to remove a BB, and found that it has an ITALIAN thread! OK, I've said to myself, and spent some nights googling around frames with italian-threaded BBs. I've found some frames with the same BB shells - they are Fausto Coppi:
Fast, Free Image Hosting - ImageBam

something Colnago-labelled (Polish auction, seller said that he found this frame at a service in Belgium):

Torelli:

and Iride:
The New IRIDE Track Bike Frame Kit, fixed gear, fixie, or pista light steel bicycle frame, complete with carbon fiber fork and sealed bearing headset.

All these frames have Columbus tubing, so I've googled around columbus lugs, and have found this:
https://www.ciclicorsa.com/en/negozio...ssico/?lang=en

Well, it seems that my frame has at least Columbus lugs =)

But manufacturer's name is still undetermined. Brake bridge seem to be a generic Columbus one, the only question is why is it Pinarello-labeled =)
Old 04-13-14, 03:23 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,010 Posts
I think the frame if straight and it fits is usable. I too think the fork is a replacement, note the different terminations at the dropouts, not of the same style. The PINARELLO typography is different than any I have seen before. Curious.
So, a mystery frame and fork. I think I have seen ABT before somewhere, but could not reference it usefully just now.
I want to say the bottom bracket shell is a Silva unit, used by a number of builders.

Paint it plain and ride it.