Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How and how easy for lithium battery to cause fire?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 03:43 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

The latest news reports, while reporting that Malaysia just admitted (belatedly) that the flight MH370 was carrying lithium batteries in its cargo hold, mention that lithium-ion batteries have caused 140 mid-air incidents in the last 20 years. I didn't know about this. How can the batteries be on fire by itself? How easy? Don't many passengers carry laptops/mobile phones with lithium batteries on airplanes all the time?
Old 03-21-14, 03:49 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LiOn is pretty reactive, and if you do things like put a overly discharged battery in series with a fully charged battery, they get pretty hot and vent a lot of gas and can flame on. On BudgetLight forums there are lots of warnings to just be nice to the batteries and take some precautions when charging. Over discharge, overcharge causes problems. Shorting them out really causes problems. High capacity and low internal resistance give them excellent high current capability.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-22-14, 05:47 AM
JB01245

Bikes: www.amoebalight.blogspot.com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't try this at home!!!

18650 cell -
overcharged then
crushed in vise
skewered with a screwdriver
pounded - crushed-mangled by heavy hammer

Old 03-22-14, 08:04 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JBO that's pretty radical. Reminds me of the T2 after it was shot with the explosive grenade. LOL. I like it.

Go to about 6:20 - 6:45 and see what happens when one actually does light up. Like poisonous fireworks in your house. Any high-current battery can be dangerous. And if nothing else, this guy is a pretty good hack.

FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 03-22-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 09:48 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every battery can blow when too hot, overcharged or damaged. Lithium batteries release gases, and that's why they shouldn't be in a closed containers.
If they blow, and they are in let's say metal body flash light - you have a pipe bomb, and it will hurt.
High quality lithium batteries will be relatively safe to use, but many of us are using batteries or light sets from China. EBay deals are so sweet that are too hard to pass.
I always charge mine on fire proof surface, never leave the house when they are charging, and I never overcharge them. Both overcharging and discharging to less than 5-10% is not a good idea.
When on my bike - I keep my battery pack under my seat, away from my face.
There is a ton of online resources about these batteries. Overall, they are considered pretty dangerous, but when tested its not always the case.
Old 03-22-14, 10:58 AM
vol

How could over discharge cause explosion/fire?
Old 03-22-14, 12:24 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
How could over discharge cause explosion/fire?
What I've heard is that one cell can easily discharge more than the others and go under nominal cell voltage, and they'll get a reverse polarity charge from the other, not-as-discharged cells in the pack. That seems to be a prime suspect in explosive discharge of some chemistries of LiIon (there are several). And the gases are -very- toxic (hydrofluoric acid?).

Some flashlight guys now insist on single cell LiIon lights, usually using 18650 cells.

Also, regular fire extinguishers won't put these out.

If you look at the TSA site, I believe passengers are limited to how much LiIon batteries they can carry on, by weight. I think this accommodates normal phone and laptop use. I suppose they figure at least they'll know if a battery fails in flight, although it would appear your problems aren't over.

People like pro videographers are forced to juggle their large LiIon packs between carry-on and luggage, I think.

These batteries are jugs of highly reactive chemicals. I'd hate to see a palletload in a plane get knocked around by an airpocket.

Last edited by Litespeedlouie; 03-22-14 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 03-22-14, 01:14 PM
vol

Thanks for the explanations. Never been aware of such dangers on flights (surprised there were not more accidents caused by the batteries).
Old 03-23-14, 01:54 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Thanks for the explanations. Never been aware of such dangers on flights (surprised there were not more accidents caused by the batteries).
I really don't know why people worry so much about Li-ion batteries. Everything made can malfunction. Take cars for example. Cars carry explosive fuel. Very rare for a car to burst into flames but it happens. I know this for certain because I've seen cars on the side of the highway sitting with flames coming out ( at least 3-4 times in my lifetime ). Does this mean I'm not going to drive a car because they can malfunction and catch fire. Of course not. You put all the facts into perspective and decide that because such occurrences are so rare you will continue to use the car, battery, heater, stove....whatever.

However....I do draw the line when it come to aircraft. Personally I'm not worried about the guy sitting next to me with the laptop unless the batteries in it are drilled out and filled with nitroglycerin. Not to mention I read just the other day that the airlines keep secret lists on which International airlines have poor maintenance standards. Oh I'm not saying I wouldn't get on a airplane to go somewhere but if I do I'm getting my Doc to prescribe me some heavy weight anti-anxiety drugs. ( or just use more of what I already have. ) In the mean time, until they figure out what happened with that "lost jet ) ehhhhhh, I don't think me's-a-getting on a plane anytime soon, capiche.
Old 03-23-14, 02:13 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I guarantee if ladies needed lithium batteries for personal hygiene they would be legal to carry on board. Note that acetone is not legal, but nail polish remover is!
Old 03-23-14, 06:02 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a cheap chinese battery "blow up" in a flashlight late one night
Middle of the night I hear a pop- and "see" a green or maybe blue flash-
wake up-some acrid smoke in room-and a flashlight burning(rubber coated) near the bed

What happened-the bulb suddenly went bad-no light-while I was using it a few hours earlier
But I didn't turn-push the rear switch-OFF
the bulb burned out-but somehow it shorted for a few hours until enough heat built up-and POP- it blew the headlight off the tube
Nasty surprise- cheap chinese 123 batteries- 3.0 or 3.7 volts
Nice-expensive flashlight unfortunately
Yeah they will sorta explode-produce plenty of heat if no reaction energy is removed(no light)-it all just sits in the battery
Old 03-23-14, 08:02 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Don't many passengers carry laptops/mobile phones with lithium batteries on airplanes all the time?
Yes, avoiding these batteries is about as hard as avoiding computers these days. They're all over these days, and usually don't cause any problems. And when they do, the batteries are either used in ways they weren't designed to or counterfeit batteries found in items like those too good to pass up internet deals like the $15 Magicshine clones.
Old 03-23-14, 12:36 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
Old 03-23-14, 12:38 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by 009jim
I guarantee if ladies needed lithium batteries for personal hygiene they would be legal to carry on board. Note that acetone is not legal, but nail polish remover is!
You know that they are the same?
Old 03-23-14, 01:45 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I really don't know why people worry so much about Li-ion batteries. Everything made can malfunction. Take cars for example. Cars carry explosive fuel. Very rare for a car to burst into flames but it happens. I know this for certain because I've seen cars on the side of the highway sitting with flames coming out ( at least 3-4 times in my lifetime ). Does this mean I'm not going to drive a car because they can malfunction and catch fire. Of course not. You put all the facts into perspective and decide that because such occurrences are so rare you will continue to use the car, battery, heater, stove....whatever.
I don't think anyone here is overly worried ... just a discussion and awareness. I use LiOn flashlight for night riding, and it's also my EDC in my backpack, but I chose a single cell partially to simplify / minimize the risks of multi-cell lights. I also use protected cells for the same reason. I don't suggest these lights to anyone that wishes to treat the cells like any-'ol-alkaline battery.

Regarding your comment about the dangers of cars catching fire - awareness of the danger is key. I just watched a couple-year-old Discovery channel doco that included info about cars catching fire. What I had forgotten, or was somewhere deep in my hindbrain, was how static potential differences between a gas can and the fuel nozzle can cause a spark just as you start to fill the can. Whoops! So I guess I will pay just a bit more attention from now on.

Old 03-23-14, 02:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
OK start a 1 to 10 scale Poll and then a vote can be taken.
Old 03-23-14, 03:04 PM
vol

I would hope the potential hazard of lithium batteries be more of an everyday common knowledge among all users of electrical devices.

Also hope the manufacturers invent some safer batteries.

I have some unused battery packs of 18650x4 sitting there and I just recharged all of them for about half hour to make them stay partially charged. I guess it's a good idea to periodically recharging them slightly if they have not been used?

Last edited by vol; 03-23-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 09:18 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
You know that they are the same?
Yes - nail polish remover is 100% acetone. Check it out next time you go to the drugstore!
Old 03-23-14, 09:58 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I would hope the potential hazard of lithium batteries be more of an everyday common knowledge among all users of electrical devices.

I have some unused battery packs of 18650x4 sitting there and I just recharged all of them for about half hour to make them stay partially charged. I guess it's a good idea to periodically recharging them slightly if they have not been used?

Yes, and hopefully you are using a balance charger. From what I have read the life span of LiOn is about 2 years no matter how many times they are charged, so best to check the voltages and keep them getting too discharged.

Old 03-23-14, 09:59 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
Yes - nail polish remover is 100% acetone. Check it out next time you go to the drugstore!
I don't know if 100% for all nail polish removers, but it sure is the active component. Ya can smell it a mile away. If I had any brains I will offer to refill my daughters nail polish for half-price, or at least dinner. But for some reason I think I already told her to just go buy a small can of acetone.

Old 03-23-14, 10:07 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by RoadTire
I don't know if 100% for all nail polish removers, but it sure is the active component. Ya can smell it a mile away. If I had any brains I will offer to refill my daughters nail polish for half-price, or at least dinner. But for some reason I think I already told her to just go buy a small can of acetone.
I use acetone to remove the mold release from my tubes before I patch them.
Old 03-23-14, 10:09 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by vol

The only time I have had a problem with one of my batteries is when I dropped it and it damaged the protection circuit. I just soldered on a new one.
Old 03-23-14, 10:12 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I use acetone to remove the mold release from my tubes before I patch them.
I was wondering about that. Good to know. Use acetone for cleaning wood just before staining to remove any traces of oils. ...wait, this is a bike forum and the post was batteries. How did we get to acetone?

Old 03-26-14, 12:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,490 Posts
How does one overcharge a LiIon battery? I wait for the LED to go from red to green. Is leaving it in with the green light sufficient to overcharge it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-27-14, 03:47 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How does one overcharge a LiIon battery? I wait for the LED to go from red to green. Is leaving it in with the green light sufficient to overcharge it?
As with most smart chargers, when the led goes from red to green the charging process is over. As long as nothing is wrong with the charger the battery will no longer be charging. Still, I only charge stuff ( mostly ) when I'm home. Chargers have been known to go up but usually when that happens it just means they will no longer charge.

A couple years ago I had a cheap Ultrafire WF(type) two bay single cell charger go up. I could smell the acrid smell of burnt plastic and decided to toss it. Last year my single cell ( 26650 ) charger went up in like fashion. This is one of the reasons why I always recommend using a charger with a surge protector. Now I just need to follow my own advise. In my area, voltage surges are pretty common place. I don't plug up any of my more expensive stuff without a surge protector.

Anyway Tom, I would take the batteries off the charger when done and then unplug the charger, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise the batteries should be fine once the light turns to green. Doesn't hurt to play it safe.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 03-27-14 at 03:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.