Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Impossible? Not too upright mixte or step through IGH?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 01:54 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Greetings,

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding a utilitarian city bike for running errands, and generally getting around town which has a step through or mixte frame, an internal gear hub, flatish riser bars, and does not encourage me to sit bolt upright. I'm asking here because although I won't use it for commuting, I will be riding year round in the Northeast, dealing with lights, lot's of traffic, and uneven pavement. I'm not a really aggressive rider, but I do make left turns in traffic, will take the lane when I need to, and refuse to ride in the door zone. If there's a better place to ask this, please let me know.

I currently ride a cheap single speed bike, the SE draft lite, which has been great, but I'd like to have the same type of ride with easier on/off and more gears. I did find a bike like this, the 2013 Specialized Globe Work 3 step through, but it was not in my size has been discontinued for 2014, and Specialized does not allow the bike to be shipped. It seems like the trend now is to make "ladies" bikes which make one sit very, very upright and almost always have very swept back handlebars. I feel like I need to be more stretched out, lower, and have my hands in a more forward position to have more control. I live in Boston and have been surprised at my inability to find this kind of bike. Budget is under $900. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Oh, forgot to add that fenders and a chain guard would be nice, too, but at this point I'll take something without those and add them myself.

Last edited by degoydegoy; 05-03-14 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 05-03-14, 03:09 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No hub or chainguad, but the Jamis Coda Comp Femme is a nice contender...
Old 05-03-14, 03:13 PM
dazevedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can also check out the GREEN 8 | KHS Bicycles . They have a step thru ladies model. Not sure on sitting position but that can be adjusted to you at the LBS . Seem to meet what you are looking for.
Old 05-03-14, 03:37 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dazevedo
Can also check out the GREEN 8 | KHS Bicycles . They have a step thru ladies model. Not sure on sitting position but that can be adjusted to you at the LBS . Seem to meet what you are looking for.
+1 ^ This ^

Just switch to Bull handlebars and you'd be very close!
Old 05-03-14, 03:47 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put the seat up high enough on my Jamis Hudson Sport where I end up leaning over as much as most hybrid riders or most people on the top of drop bars. It does come in step through, and with either a 3 or 7 speed IGH.

Most Jamis hybrid bikes come in S/T models if you don't need anything larger than a medium.

I know Trek has lots of "Women Specific Design" bikes, might look at their website as well.
Old 05-03-14, 06:16 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Civia might work: Civia Cycles Twin City Step Through 5 Speed
Old 05-03-14, 06:46 PM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
How about the Linus Mixte 8?

You could lower the bars to get a more aggressive position and add a Civia chain guard if you wish.
Old 05-03-14, 07:13 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Originally Posted by blakcloud
How about the Linus Mixte 8?

You could lower the bars to get a more aggressive position and add a Civia chain guard if you wish.
These bikes, plus the Green 8 KHS mentioned above appear to be the best Candidates. The Linus Mixte wins in my book!
Old 05-03-14, 07:27 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
These bikes, plus the Green 8 KHS mentioned above appear to be the best Candidates. The Linus Mixte wins in my book!
If you can, try to test ride the bikes. I tried the Linus and it felt weirdly insubstantial to me. I know that's not a terribly helpful description, but it's the closest I can come. It might work perfectly for you. I know the bike is popular with lots of people. It just wasn't a fit for me.
Old 05-03-14, 09:42 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks very much for all the responses!

I did try the Linus mixte and was so distracted by the high, swept-back handlebars that I couldn't really evaluate anything else on the bike. I may need to give up on trying to find something that works for me as is, but I am not sure I want to buy a bike that feels totally wrong for me and hope that a different stem and handlebars will fix it. I worry that if the bike was designed to be ridden upright with swept-back bars that trying to change it into something else won't work very well, but maybe I'm wrong in this assumption? Is it a good risk to buy something like the Linus or the KHS Green (I think I might be able to find that one locally, too) and assume that changing the stem and bars will work?

I've been forced pretty far out to try to find something, and have been considering this Cooper Oporto on ebay Oporto | Bikes | Cooper Road Bikes , which seems like it's not so upright and the bars not so swept back as most of the other "lady" bikes I've looked at. It certainly was very expensive before it hit ebay and has a great reputation, but again it seems risky to buy something without trying it first, and it might be too girly and attention-getting for me (It would be safe in a garage at night, but left locked up by itself for a few hours at different places around the city during the day).

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
If you can, try to test ride the bikes. I tried the Linus and it felt weirdly insubstantial to me. I know that's not a terribly helpful description, but it's the closest I can come. It might work perfectly for you. I know the bike is popular with lots of people. It just wasn't a fit for me.
Old 05-04-14, 01:25 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by degoydegoy
Thanks very much for all the responses!

I did try the Linus mixte and was so distracted by the high, swept-back handlebars that I couldn't really evaluate anything else on the bike. I may need to give up on trying to find something that works for me as is, but I am not sure I want to buy a bike that feels totally wrong for me and hope that a different stem and handlebars will fix it. I worry that if the bike was designed to be ridden upright with swept-back bars that trying to change it into something else won't work very well, but maybe I'm wrong in this assumption? Is it a good risk to buy something like the Linus or the KHS Green (I think I might be able to find that one locally, too) and assume that changing the stem and bars will work?

I've been forced pretty far out to try to find something, and have been considering this Cooper Oporto on ebay Oporto | Bikes | Cooper Road Bikes , which seems like it's not so upright and the bars not so swept back as most of the other "lady" bikes I've looked at. It certainly was very expensive before it hit ebay and has a great reputation, but again it seems risky to buy something without trying it first, and it might be too girly and attention-getting for me (It would be safe in a garage at night, but left locked up by itself for a few hours at different places around the city during the day).
Checkout the Raleigh Alysa i8. All you'll have to do would be to install an aftermarket chainguard

* I don't think you're desired cycling position in the saddle is gonna be aptly accommodated with a Mixte. Therefore, there are gonna be some trade-offs. The Alysa i8 gives you everything, except for the more effeminate looking step thru feature and the chainguard. I think that your past experience with the SE Draft has given you your preferred saddle position. You can keep that position with the Alysa i8.

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-04-14 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 01:48 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This might pique your interest?

Breezer Bikes - Downtown 8 - ST - Bike Overview

The 5 is also available in a low step frame.

I have ridden both, and they are great for the price point in my opinion.

Good luck & keep us posted?

- Andy
Old 05-04-14, 04:17 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Here is mine. Byron, a Soma Buena Vista with a Nuvinci CVT. VO fenders, rack and chaingaurd with Albatross bars. I love it.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102411114907_01.jpg (31.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0248.JPG (28.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-04-14, 05:38 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by irwin7638
Here is mine. Byron, a Soma Buena Vista with a Nuvinci CVT. VO fenders, rack and chaingaurd with Albatross bars. I love it.

Marc
Now this bike seems to have everything. You'd even get to sit less upright in the saddle, as well!

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-04-14 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 06:35 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Now these bikes seem to have everything, except for the chainguard. You'd even get to sit less upright in the saddle, as well!
It has a chaingaurd, but it's not off the shelf, I built it up from the frame. It does have a pretty aggressive geometry a really fun commuter.

Marc
Old 05-04-14, 06:39 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by irwin7638
It has a chaingaurd, but it's not off the shelf, I built it up from the frame. It does have a pretty aggressive geometry a really fun commuter.

Marc
Hey! You're right! Well there you have it! It's just perfect then!
Old 05-04-14, 09:25 AM
dazevedo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest seeing which brands are sold locally that you are interested in and riding to each one on your bike so they can see what position you prefer, and see what they will do for you to sell you a new bike.You shouldn't settle for what you will not be happy on. Most shops will work with you and change items to get you into a good fitting bike.Most of what I've seen suggested so far look to only need to replace the handlebars and adjust cable/housing lengths. Good luck and please update.
Old 05-04-14, 09:38 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I think I would love that too if I could afford it and knew how to build it myself! Very nice bike!

I actually tried a Novara Gotham with the Nuvinci hub today, boy that was fun. At $1400 and with a ridiculous paint job it's not going to happen for me. But I am seriously considering it's little brother, the Arkham which meets all of my requirements, but I worry about maintaining the disc brakes and the belt drive, and also worry about theft because of these distinctive features, too. I also feel like it's "too much bike" for me as in someone who will only ride it a few miles for errands, visits, fun does not need/deserve such a machine. I feel like I need something more low key.

Earlier I went back to try a Globe work 2 in a large and a medium to see if the large is really where I need to be (and therefore a different bike since the large is sold out in the work 3) or if I judged the medium too harshly. After another ride I now think the medium will be ok, the large just seemed too...large and unwieldy. Maybe I'll take out some of the spacers to lower the bars, maybe even get a slightly longer stem or reverse the angle on the current stem. While part of me does like the idea of the Arkham, the Work 3's utilitarian look and components will fit well with how I intend to use it; I don't want to be the doofus on the "too good" bike.