Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I think I'm giving up on my Paramount

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 10:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts

I have a '76 Paramount P10-9, bought new by my dad. I'll be keeping it but I'm not sure I need to ride it any more to know it's not right for me. It's too big, and the components are too primitive, and the gearing is too narrow. Yesterday I rode my BIL's Diamondback Expert TG, which was the 1990's post-Ironman last hurrah of Centurion road bikes. In spite of it being worn out and its awful 90's paint job (neon orange with black slashes), the size was right, the high gear was higher, the low was lower, the handlebars were better shaped, the indexed downtube shifters were nice. The ride was harsher but not bad, and it's clearly mostly due to the difference in tire size / pressure.

Time to hang up the Schwinn and start looking for a bike my size. This makes me sad... I had high hopes it would be more wonderful.
Old 05-08-14, 10:24 AM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Time to hang up the Schwinn and start looking for a bike my size. This makes me sad... I had high hopes it would be more wonderful.
Most definitely hang into it and take it for a plooter once in a while as a tribute.

The most important thing about a frameset isn't the maker, the materials or the doo-dads: a proper fit trumps all.
Be very specific about your requirements and enjoy the search.

-Bandera
Old 05-08-14, 10:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,980 Times in 2,291 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Most definitely hang into it and take it for a plooter once in a while as a tribute. -Bandera
Some things have value, even when they are old and not quite the right fit. Dad's original, very nice bike might fall into that category. Glad you are keeping it.
Old 05-08-14, 10:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,261 Times in 997 Posts
My advice is don't be afraid nor overly conscience about modifying the gearing and the stem and bars in order to make it a comfortable ride for you. My '71 P-13 sports a tall Nitto stem with rando bars from a Sports Tourer/Super Sports/Continental, a Campagnolo NR crankset converted to a triple, a rear freewheel with a range of 13T-32T, a Rally RD, and barend shifters. All of which is to say, my Paramount is no longer a vision of its original race oriented self. But it is certainly a joy for me to ride.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-08-14, 11:04 AM
3speed

Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
If you can straddle the top-tube, you can probably make it fit at least enough to be comfy on fun, short spirited rides of ~20mi or so. And as pastorbob said, don't worry too much about swapping out that freewheel for something with a bigger cog on it. Indexed shifters are an easy, minor swap too. I bet you could change out just a few things and find that it's a fun ride and experience some of the joy your dad had when he rode it.
Old 05-08-14, 11:06 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
<snip>The most important thing about a frameset isn't the maker, the materials or the doo-dads: a proper fit trumps all.<snip>

-Bandera
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
My advice is don't be afraid nor overly conscience about modifying the gearing and the stem and bars in order to make it a comfortable ride for you. My '71 P-13 sports a tall Nitto stem with rando bars from a Sports Tourer/Super Sports/Continental, a Campagnolo NR crankset converted to a triple, a rear freewheel with a range of 13T-32T, a Rally RD, and barend shifters. All of which is to say, my Paramount is no longer a vision of its original race oriented self. But it is certainly a joy for me to ride.
+1

Great advice here.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 05-08-14, 11:12 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
+1

Great advice here.

Greater advice...send it to me
Old 05-08-14, 11:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Why don't you measure it and photograph it and put it on the "frame don't fit" thread? What you want is exactly the same frame in a smaller size. It may take a while, but I'm sure sooner or later you will connect with someone who has the inverse of the same problem.
Old 05-08-14, 11:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bob, I could do all that but I don't have the parts lying around and the cost of it all would be as much as an entire 1990's welded bike that addresses all my issues... and it would still be too big. It already has an 8cm stem and compact-ish handlebars, and still feels too long. It's a 23" and I probably need a 21". I know my Dad had similar problems (hence the 8cm stem) and must have gotten a bum steer on the sizing, way back when.
Old 05-08-14, 11:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by rhm
Why don't you measure it and photograph it and put it on the "frame don't fit" thread?
Family heirloom. I have the receipt.
Old 05-08-14, 11:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Family heirloom. I have the receipt.
Yes, I understand that.

.... It's a 23" and I probably need a 21". I know my Dad had similar problems (hence the 8cm stem) and must have gotten a bum steer on the sizing, way back when.
But it doesn't fit you and it didn't fit your father. He made a mistake. Of course you cannot fix all your father's mistakes, but nor should you feel you need to perpetuate them all. Here's one you can possibly fix.
Old 05-08-14, 12:14 PM
pedalnmetal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if the question is whether to part with it or not, that's not an easy call. but i'd say hold on to it if it has any sentimental value, unless you have a pressing need to let it go. maybe it'll fit someone else in your family at some point and can be passed along to the next generation.

more importantly, as a proud owner of a DB Expert TG in bright orange with black 'tiger' splatter, i'm trying not to take offense at your 'awful 90s paint job' reference.
Old 05-08-14, 02:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by pedalnmetal
more importantly, as a proud owner of a DB Expert TG in bright orange with black 'tiger' splatter, i'm trying not to take offense at your 'awful 90s paint job' reference.
Oh my God... it looks like a Genera Hypercolor shirt before you washed it
Old 05-08-14, 04:03 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
As someone who owns some faster bikes, I appreciate having a few slow ones too. Some of my bikes absolutely demand to be hammered every time I go out, and they are wonderful rides.

On days where I want to go for a ride but am not up for a hammerfest or multi hour ride, having something different is very satisfying.
Old 05-08-14, 06:07 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
It's a 23" and I probably need a 21". I know my Dad had similar problems (hence the 8cm stem) and must have gotten a bum steer on the sizing, way back when.
He probably got the "French fit", which was kind of common in some shops in the 70's as I remember.
Two inches is tough to fudge though.
Old 05-08-14, 06:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
I have a '76 Paramount P10-9, bought new by my dad. I'll be keeping it but I'm not sure I need to ride it any more to know it's not right for me. It's too big, and the components are too primitive, and the gearing is too narrow. Yesterday I rode my BIL's Diamondback Expert TG, which was the 1990's post-Ironman last hurrah of Centurion road bikes. In spite of it being worn out and its awful 90's paint job (neon orange with black slashes), the size was right, the high gear was higher, the low was lower, the handlebars were better shaped, the indexed downtube shifters were nice. The ride was harsher but not bad, and it's clearly mostly due to the difference in tire size / pressure.

If the bike is the wrong size it is the wrong size nothing to do there however.....

You need to adjust your way of looking at the bikes. You need to think of the Paramount as sort of '57 T Bird with a manual shift and no AC. The Diamond Back is more like early 70s 442 or Judge with one of the selective transmissions where you can either shift it or put it in automatic plus air power windows and all the other goodies.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk