Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rapha rain jacket for cool/cold weather riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 07:20 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How versatile can a light weight rain jacket be? I don't do much riding in the rain but there have been times that I've been out riding and gotten caught in it.

I have a rapha pro team jacket but it isn't waterproof. The rapha rain jacket appears to be light like their wind jacket. Basically wanting to know if I get a rain jacket, will I also be able to use it as a light wind jacket for cold days?

I have a century ride next Saturday and as of now the weather is showing rain, rain and more rain. I dont want to buy a rain jacket (especially at a rapha price) for only 1 ride, but if i can utilize it also as a wind jacket, i can possibly justify the purchase.

Anyone have a large rapha rain jacket they are looking to sell?
Old 05-08-14, 07:48 PM
Adrianinkc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli Gabba
Old 05-08-14, 07:51 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
Castelli Gabba
castelli doesn't fit me. I'm in between sizes. Plus I don't like cross branding gear.
Old 05-08-14, 08:09 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
castelli doesn't fit me. I'm in between sizes. Plus I don't like cross branding gear.
If you are Rapha boy and you live in Oregon how are you not destined to own their rain jacket?
Old 05-08-14, 08:26 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I don't go out to ride when its already raining. I have gone out when I knew there was a strong chance of rain and got caught in it though. There are times where I wish I had a light weight (lighter than my insulated pro team) for cooler dry days. If I knew it would be versatile for chance of rain days and cooler morning rides, I'd be more interested. If it turns out to be not a good idea, than I'd hold off.
Old 05-08-14, 08:26 PM
Judge Mental
Banned.

Bikes: Bianchi RC, Redline Conquest, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand. Only the most expensive products produce an acceptable fit on me as well.

I read that Sky riders actually wear tailored Rapha gear. That makes sense to me. Why pay $425 for a jacket when $850 gets you bespoke street cred with 1cm of better fit?

Further, did you know that if you wear Nishiki shorts purchased from Dick's on sale for $35 that you will go straight to the fifth layer of hell immediately?

I only regret that Rapha doesn't make cranksets...
Old 05-08-14, 09:18 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, when I say I dont like castelli because it doesn't fit me, I mean it doesn't fit me. Medium is too tight and Large is too lose. But thanks for contributing. Nice to see you broke all of 10 posts.

You're gonna be "that" new guy aren't you?

Last edited by no1mad; 05-09-14 at 10:34 PM. Reason: removed insulting language
Old 05-08-14, 09:26 PM
Judge Mental
Banned.

Bikes: Bianchi RC, Redline Conquest, Cinelli Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dear elitist, prancing, egotist, name calling friend with several thousands posts confirming thou honor, I can see you're "that" kind of typical, tenured BF contributor.

Best of luck on your 2014 Rapha purchases. And here's to 2015 as well!!
Old 05-08-14, 09:34 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to see we understand each other
Old 05-08-14, 09:43 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Plus I don't like cross branding gear.
Damn, is that a thing? Crap, then I fail that too. Hell, my components don't even match!
Old 05-08-14, 10:00 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does that mean? Is that like it's some fashion faux pas to wear say PI bibs and a Sugoi jersey? I do that all the time. What a tool I must be. Time to get my act together.
Old 05-08-14, 10:05 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not a Faux pas, its just something I personally don't like doing. I like to match on or off the bike. Never judged anyone else for not matching.
Old 05-08-14, 10:14 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like wasted energy.
Old 05-08-14, 10:19 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Sounds like wasted money.
Ftfy.

Sorry bianchi10, I just couldn't pass that one up.
Old 05-08-14, 10:24 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol no worries. I don't see why wearing same brand gear is such a snooty thing. Oh, its because its regarding rapha. Anyone who wears rapha must be a pertinacious prick right?
Old 05-08-14, 10:38 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well duh. haha
Old 05-08-14, 11:01 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-08-14, 11:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
What does that mean? Is that like it's some fashion faux pas to wear say PI bibs and a Sugoi jersey? I do that all the time. What a tool I must be. Time to get my act together.
Yes, but only because of the PI bibs in the first place.

And hot damn! I had to look up a word on BF!

pertinacious - holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action.

That's beautiful, and well-applied too. I'd like it if I could, and I'm not even being sarcastic. Well done, sir.
Old 05-09-14, 04:04 AM
canam73

OP, I have no experience with the Rapha rain jacket. But I personally find fully waterproof gear fairly useless for everything other than heavy rain for cycling if you are going to be sweating. I don't care how well they claim to breath, if they are able to keep rain 100% out it's going to MUCH harder for sweat to get out, too.
Old 05-09-14, 04:26 AM
Weatherby

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How versatile can a light weight rain jacket be? I don't do much riding in the rain but there have been times that I've been out riding and gotten caught in it.

I have a rapha pro team jacket but it isn't waterproof. The rapha rain jacket appears to be light like their wind jacket. Basically wanting to know if I get a rain jacket, will I also be able to use it as a light wind jacket for cold days?

I have a century ride next Saturday and as of now the weather is showing rain, rain and more rain. I dont want to buy a rain jacket (especially at a rapha price) for only 1 ride, but if i can utilize it also as a wind jacket, i can possibly justify the purchase.

Anyone have a large rapha rain jacket they are looking to sell?
You get 50 inches of rain per year and you don't cycle in the rain nor own proper raingear and yet, you are worried with cross dressing concerns?

A good rain jacket can go both ways: cold or cold/wet. Warm/wet is not good combo for any of the rain gear that I own. I find that Goretex jackets, even the cheap $150 ones, keep me dry for a couple hours.
Old 05-09-14, 06:27 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Weatherby
You get 50 inches of rain per year and you don't cycle in the rain nor own proper raingear and yet, you are worried with cross dressing concerns?

A good rain jacket can go both ways: cold or cold/wet. Warm/wet is not good combo for any of the rain gear that I own. I find that Goretex jackets, even the cheap $150 ones, keep me dry for a couple hours.
I gotta admit, I chuckled when I saw that. It's mighty hard to ride in OR without getting a lot of rain action. Most recently yesterday.

In response to the original question, you do not need a rain jacket to ride in the rain. I've been cycling distances in rain for well over 30 years and have used a rain jacket for less than 2 of those years despite being a Gore-Tex product tester since 2007. Most rain gear designed for cycling is way too heavy so unless the temps are in the lower 30's, you'll just swamp it out.

Some of the newest and lightest rainwear is now usable and easily stuffs in a jersey pocket, so I can recommend it for wet and dry in 50's and lower. This stuff is outright awesome in below freezing temps because it's totally windproof and is especially nice for rain in the 30's and 40's.

BTW, you can significantly improve the water repellancy of windbreakers by treating them with products designed to revive the DWR on waterproof clothing. Nikwax makes some decent products. The advantage of having the water shed is comfort issues aside, you lose less body heat through conduction since your jacket/clothing isn't full of water that robs body heat.
Old 05-09-14, 06:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No dumb ass, when I say I dont like castelli because it doesn't fit me, I mean it doesn't fit me. Medium is too tight and Large is too lose. But thanks for contributing. Nice to see you broke all of 10 posts.

You're gonna be "that" new guy aren't you?
Oh thank goodness I can now get out from under the stigma. We have a noob to take my place. Being "that" new guy gets really old after awhile. The trick will be to not just move from being "that" new guy to "that" guy. I'm working on it!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-09-14, 07:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Lol no worries. I don't see why wearing same brand gear is such a snooty thing. Oh, its because its regarding rapha. Anyone who wears rapha must be a pertinacious prick right?
No Nick, it is not that matching the stuff is snooty. It is because there is no point to it (for most folks). Especially if the kit design isn't all matchey-matchey, what difference does it make if the brands are the same. For example if you are wearing plain black bibs (notice I didn't say shorts, I'm learning ) and a red and yellow charity ride jersey, what difference does it make whether they are the same brand or not. No one can tell by looking anyway. Please take no offense, but HAVING to match shorts and jersey brands at all times isn't too far away from not stepping on sidewalk cracks, washing your hands 101 times a day, and saving every newspaper you have ever come across for the last 30 years. Just a little OCD. But hey, those of us who have been here a while already knew you were like that, and we love ya anyway. You're one of the good guys.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-09-14, 07:08 AM
canam73

I think all my cycling clothes have at least one bit of black on them somewhere. So for me they match.
Old 05-09-14, 07:31 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally get that. Its tough though off the bike. I'm not going to look like some simpleton wearing a Levi's brand watch so I have to go the hard route and find Rolex brand pants. Its not easy or cheap but totally worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.