Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM's new electronic groupset will be WIRELESS!!! (not confirmed)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 01:04 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Analysis: SRAM Wireless Electronic Group | Cyclingnews.com

Finally, SRAM steps up their game and takes the technology lead.

I, for one, cannot wait for wireless components to remove clutter. I have absolutely no interest in wired electronic groups.

Last edited by link0; 05-13-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 01:09 PM
06SpiceRed
Powered by Di2

Bikes: Di2 this and Di2 that

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill stick with a wired gruppo like Di2 for now. Theyve got a lot of proving to do both in the reliability and functionality department especially with the success of EPS and Di2. Sounds like it means more batteries to charge and potential signal disruptions but it is an early product and it is very cool to see them join the banwagon.
Old 05-13-14, 01:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by link0
Analysis: SRAM Wireless Electronic Group | Cyclingnews.com

Finally, SRAM steps up their game and takes the technology lead.
How can they take the lead if they haven't even introduced it yet? As far as I can tell they finally got their mechanical drive trains up to par. It's nice that there's another choice and I personally like my sram but I would hesitate to call them "in the lead"
Old 05-13-14, 01:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Sweet, soon you'll be able to hack in to your rival's groupset network and make them drop their chain.
Old 05-13-14, 01:12 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sweet, soon you'll be able to hack in to your rival's groupset network and make them drop their chain.
Its SRAM so you can just wait till they just drop their own chain.
Old 05-13-14, 01:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts
Back in the day, you had to reach over and flick their D/T shifter; technological progress is great.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-13-14, 01:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SpiceRed
Ill stick with a wired gruppo like Di2 for now. Theyve got a lot of proving to do both in the reliability and functionality department especially with the success of EPS and Di2.
Presumably that's why they're racing it at ATOC. If the prototypes survive a race season that's a pretty good test

Originally Posted by 06SpiceRed
Sounds like it means more batteries to charge and potential signal disruptions but it is an early product and it is very cool to see them join the banwagon.
Batteries are definitely an issue. However, it looks like the batteries in the shifters could be very long lasting Lithium ion. The shifters don't need much power, and likely you could have disposable batteries there that last a season.

That leaves you with 2 batteries, one for each derailleur. If those come on and off easy, and plug in easily to the same charger, I'm not sure 2 batteries is much more of an issue than one.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-13-14, 01:53 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Presumably that's why they're racing it at ATOC. If the prototypes survive a race season that's a pretty good test

Batteries are definitely an issue. However, it looks like the batteries in the shifters could be very long lasting Lithium ion. The shifters don't need much power, and likely you could have disposable batteries there that last a season.

That leaves you with 2 batteries, one for each derailleur. If those come on and off easy, and plug in easily to the same charger, I'm not sure 2 batteries is much more of an issue than one.
I assume that the shifters will take a 2032 or similar type large watch battery, these are more than sufficient for a low-power transmitter and will last roughly a season, no problem. That doesn't make the batteries a non-issue, though; four separate batteries is kind of a PITA no matter how you slice it, though a dual charger for the derailleur batteries would help a lot.

Regarding the hacking thing - I don't know much about signal technology, but encryption and pairing technology is pretty well-established. Nothing is unhackable, but I'm not too convinced that this is a big deal. Maintaining reliable signals despite interference is a much larger concern. That is, the thing MUST shift when you hit the button. If SRAM releases something with a reputation for dropping the signal, they're going to be in a world of hurt.

And remember that, while this looks like solid research, there's still a lot of speculation here.
Old 05-13-14, 02:47 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's SRAM. No need to hack anything; they will drop the chain.
Old 05-13-14, 02:56 PM
pavemen

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't wait for the other guy in the competition (or some other hater) to somehow jam the signal or cause an unexpected shift by messing with the signal remotely. Unless they are doing revolving codes like garage door openers.
Old 05-15-14, 05:56 PM
Cni2i

Bikes: S-works SL"5" Tarmac, No. 22 Reactor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am all for technological advances in any industry. But I have to say that I am very happy with my DA 9000 mechanical gruppo. Buttery smooth upshifts and downshifts. Very dependable. No worries about battery life or charging issues. Keeps weight down. Clutter? With internal routing, really? I am not saying that the wireless concept is not cool, but I am not overly excited about it at this point in time.