Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What lock(s) do you use? How do you carry them?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 03:48 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not have a secure indoor storage and must lock it outside during work. It is a relatively safe location, though. I have a nice u lock but it is really heavy and does not have a bracket. It can get bothersome to carry it in my backpack.

What kind of lock do you use?
Old 05-19-14, 03:53 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
inside flat at home.

at work, in a shared faculty bike locker (24 bikes max) with 24/7 cctv

still use a Kryptonite U-lock for pub runs and such and in the bike locker at the uni.

i roll with a 20L rucksack and it fits easily.
Old 05-19-14, 03:55 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ry-u-lock.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...k-my-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...le-u-lock.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...your-lock.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...arry-them.html
Old 05-19-14, 03:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Can you leave it locked to the rack?
Old 05-19-14, 04:04 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I guess where you live or the risk factor matters. We don't have professional bike thieves in our small town. We do however have an occasional crack head who will make an opportunistic easy grab. I use a cheap, light weight lock, just enough to not make it so easy. About the only time I lock my bike is at the coffee shop where there are lots of honest folks around.
Old 05-19-14, 05:08 PM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I leave my 3 U locks at work so I don't have to carry them. If I have to bring a lock I throw it in my basket. For my son, I just purchased the Transit Bracket from Kyrptonite so he can carry his U lock as he hated it in his back pack.
Old 05-19-14, 06:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 493 Times in 386 Posts
I keep a NY Fugheddaboudit U-Lock at work, where I can park inside and don't really need it. I leave the lock on a bike rack on the street rather than indoors, which is frowned upon. For non-work use I have a lighter weight Kryptonite U-lock with cable combo. The cable locks the wheels and I always use the U-lock on the frame. I don't ever leave it for very long, just for stores, bars and such.
Old 05-19-14, 10:48 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do what most others do: I carry a good-quality U lock, which I have in my panniers wherever I go. I use a shorty, so it's less heavy, and slightly harder to break open, and I don't see it as a burden. (What's another two hundred grams when you're riding a Disc Trucker?)

I wouldn't feel quite comfortable leaving my bike locked up out in the open all day, every day. Is there no way the OP can lock the bike inside?
Old 05-19-14, 11:32 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
In my basket or clipped to my rack. (No backpack for me)
Old 05-19-14, 11:36 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At work I can keep my bike inside with me, so I bring a cheap combination cable lock, just in case I need to run a quick errand afterwards.

If I know I'm going to be parking my bike around town for a while, I have a U-lock.
Old 05-19-14, 11:38 PM
Sci-Fi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use 2 locks..well actually 3. U-Lock front wheel to downtube and chain around seat tube thru rear wheel and around bike rack or steel pole. U-lock has its own bracket on the seat tube and the chain is cross wrap around top tube, around the seat, and locked thru the rear rack top loop to keep it from making any noise. Both locks are kryptonite but not the super hd ones.
Seat has a cable lock that is looped tightly several times and is slightly difficult to lock and unlock. But I dont generally remove the saddle often anyways...just to condition the leather every few months or sooner depending on weather conditions. It is the weak link since a cable, any cable, can be cut easily. Seen a lot of those expensive hd kryptonite cables cut off and laying on the ground lately. Major part of the reason why I choose to haul the extra weight around and spend few more mins to lock up. Need my bike to get around and want to make it as difficut as possible to steal.
None of that "I'll be back in a few mins so skip/shortcut the routine". The front wheel will be gone. Have basically the same setup for all my bikes. The chain offers the most flexibility, esp if a thick streel light pole/lampost or concrete encased handicap pole is all there is for a secure lockup.
Old 05-19-14, 11:40 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an Abus Granit 54 U-lock with an EaZy KF mounting bracket, which is by far the best U-lock mounting bracket I've ever used. The lock is top of the range, and the mounting bracket is simple, solid, and has many different positions it can be mounted on a frame.

Mine is mounted similar to this one.

About the mount.
Old 05-19-14, 11:41 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a kryptonite evo mini u-lock. It is very light weight (2 pounds?). 99% of the time I carry it in my back pocket. Jeans, khakis, suit pants, you name it. I don't think I own a pair of pants with pockets too small to fit the evo mini. There are faint wear marks in most of my jeans, but they are barely noticeable. However, most of my rides are in the 1 mile to 5 mile range. If I regularly biked 20-mile trips, I imagine the u-lock would wear through my pants faster. I've been doing this almost daily for over two years now.

I literally can not feel the u-lock in my back pocket as I'm riding. Sometimes I reach back to make sure it's actually there! As soon as I dismount the bike, however, I can feel the two pounds of weight while on foot. I've also seen some people slip u-locks between their belts and rear end. This makes it possible to carry larger u-locks.
Old 05-19-14, 11:44 PM
schiiism
Yogi on Wheels

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Diva Dura-Ace, 2012 Fuji Finest, 1986 Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mount my Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit to my Univega's top tube with a bracket. It's served me well for three years, the only issue I find is that it makes it so you can't carry a water bottle in the cage.

I don't lock my Fuji in any public places because it's valuable enough to be stolen. I store it in a shed in my backyard and in the warehouse at my work. Luckily I work for a construction company so we have plenty of space, but I know not everyone is that fortunate. I tuck it away near the company president's personal boat, so I know it will never get damaged
Old 05-19-14, 11:48 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more thing. The evo mini u-lock is not large enough to fit through my frame and wheel. This is not a problem, however, because I have locking skewers for my wheels and seat. The key for the skewers is smaller than my thumb and is fastened to my key chain. No theft issues in over two years.
Old 05-20-14, 08:03 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Liked 3,190 Times in 1,023 Posts
Kryptonite New York bungee corded to my front rack. For some reason I don't want to use the frame bracket.

Bike is outdoors, front wheel off and locked with the frame and back wheel to a rack embedded in the sidewalk.

Last edited by ascherer; 05-20-14 at 08:04 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 05-20-14, 08:07 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If anyone else uses the Masterlock Cuff lock (12 link version) I'd be curious how they carry it if not in a bag...
Old 05-20-14, 10:36 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I carry my lock in the bag on the back.

Just a simple steel U lock. I'd like to get another one, or 2 new to replace this one & have 2 total.

- Andy
Old 05-20-14, 10:44 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
If anyone else uses the Masterlock Cuff lock (12 link version) I'd be curious how they carry it if not in a bag...
I have the masterlock cuff lock (3 link). I use ball bungees to secure it inside the frame where the downtube meets the top tube. Fits nicely there.
Old 05-20-14, 11:55 AM
huizar

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Le Mans RS (stolen!), 2009 Bianchi Pista (48-16), 2014 Gunnar Sport (Arrived! Pictures soon!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also use the evo mini u-lock, BIG fan! Feels really secure. I also keep a cable on me to keep my saddle somewhat safer. Run them both through the back wheel/rear triangle and carry the lock either in my backpack or under my belt above my rear pocket and I can never tell it's there unless I check. Currently have 15 mm bolts on my wheels, but thinking about upgrading to the pit skewers for at least my front wheel and seat post since when my new bike gets here. I have to lock up outside of work a lot, which makes me paranoid, but then again I see people do the front-wheel cable lock ONLY method and they never get their bikes stolen.
Old 05-20-14, 11:56 AM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Kryptonite Evolution 4 U-lock, and carry it via a method I found on this forum:

The little green bungee that I had in that picture to keep the lock from rattling snapped after a few days of use, so I now use a velcro strip to keep the lock from rattling against my rack too much.
Old 05-20-14, 12:04 PM
brianinc-ville

Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
It really depends on the city where you live.

I live in a small college town where people don't bike much and the resale market for individual bike parts is weak. So, I just use a good U-lock (an OnGuard Bulldog) and lock the front wheel and the frame. I carry it with the bracket that came with it, on the seat tube, with the "U" pointing forward.

In a big city, or a bike-oriented college town, you need to worry more about parts getting stripped. In Boston, I used the OnGuard U-lock plus a cable through the seat rails and the rear wheel. I'd usually carry the cable either in one of my Wald folding baskets, or tied to the top of the rear rack with an old tire tube.
Old 05-20-14, 12:06 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
I have the masterlock cuff lock (3 link). I use ball bungees to secure it inside the frame where the downtube meets the top tube. Fits nicely there.
I was thinking of getting the cage holder, but I think that's only for your version, I take it your links don't hang down very far though?
Old 05-20-14, 12:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
1) Abus Bordo Folding lock , IT comes with a pouch that fits Via Bottle bosses or straps on the frame tube..

2) Axa Defender Ring lock + a security chain that uses the Ring lock to secure the front wheel and the bike to the rack .
Old 05-21-14, 11:46 AM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CompleteStreets
Jeans, khakis, suit pants, you name it.
suit pants, wow. Cannot believe the lock did not destroy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.