Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Flush water bottle boss?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Flush water bottle boss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 11:05 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 151 Posts
Flush water bottle boss?

I picked up a new project last weekend (from the early 90's), and one of the first things I've noticed is that the water bottle bosses don't match.

Bosses on down tube:

Bosses on seat tube:

The threading is the same, but the fasteners for the flush-mount were also fancy to allow the heads to be flush with the seat tube:

Anyone seen this before?

All I can figure is that the expectation that many riders only carry one bottle led to the design choice. I'm also curious if the seat tube bosses would be weaker since they don't have a shoulder.
Old 05-30-14, 11:16 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Never seen it before, but to me it looks home-made, like the previous owner just drilled and tapped holes.
Old 05-30-14, 11:24 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by brockd15
Never seen it before, but to me it looks home-made, like the previous owner just drilled and tapped holes.
Definitely not. I can see the boss inside the seat tube when I look down it (with a flashlight in the BB shell).
Old 05-30-14, 11:40 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
The seat tube bosses were home made by the PO. You cannot just tap the drilled holes as the tubing is too thin walled to accept any substantial amount of threads to hold the water bottle cage bolts securely. There has to be some special threaded inserts in there (I think they call them "Nutserts") that mates up with those bolts.
Old 05-30-14, 11:46 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Chombi
The seat tube bosses were home made by the PO. You cannot just tap the drilled holes as the tubing is too thin walled to accept any substantial amount of threads to hold the water bottle cage bolts securely. There has to be some special threaded inserts in there (I think they call them "Nutserts") that mates up with those bolts.
But something like a nutsert or rivnut would be visible inside of the painted hole (paint is original and in excellent condition), and/or would need some sort of shoulder for structural integrity. As you say, the tubing itself is too thin to be tapped.
Old 05-30-14, 11:47 AM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I've seen this on production bikes in the late 80's/early 90's. It's a cosmetic thing, and the reasoning was that the secondary bottle bosses on the seattube were rarely used by many riders (at the time) so they used flush bosses to make them as unnoticeable as possible... or something. Anyway, it was a subtle trend for some manufacturers.
Old 05-30-14, 11:49 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
Yes, I've seen this on production bikes in the late 80's/early 90's. It's a cosmetic thing, and the reasoning was that the secondary bottle bosses on the seattube were rarely used by many riders (at the time) so they used flush bosses to make them as unnoticeable as possible... or something. Anyway, it was a subtle trend for some manufacturers.
That was my guess. Any reason to be concerned about the strength of those bosses?
Old 05-30-14, 11:53 AM
Torchy McFlux

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nope. They're brazed on just like regular ones, it's just that the boss is mostly on the inside rather than the outside. If you bolt a cage to it, you're more likely to scratch the paint around it noticeably.
Old 05-30-14, 11:54 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
But something like a nutsert or rivnut would be visible inside of the painted hole (paint is original and in excellent condition), and/or would need some sort of shoulder for structural integrity. As you say, the tubing itself is too thin to be tapped.
I doubt if any bike manufacturer would handle their waterbottle bosses different from down tube to seat tube. Just does not make sense to do so cost-wise, and in terms of people wanting it not to be noticable, that does not make sense too, ad pretty much everyone would want to cover those holes with water bottle cage bolts, to keep moisture from going into the frame and also to protect the treads from corrosion damage.
If it seems like the paint covers any seams from threaded inserts inside the seat tube, the bike might have been repainted at one time and the re-finisher/frame builder(?) might have actually installed the second water bottle mount on the seat tube for the owner the same time it was refinished.....
There are many different types/styles of nutsert. I think I've seen some that do not have an outer flange visible on the surface for use in applications where you need a really flush surface to bolt you item to. That's what might have been used on your frame. Frankly, I would have used a shouldered nutsert just to make sure the bottle cage has something flat to bolt to so it's more stable.

Last edited by Chombi; 05-30-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 11:55 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

I'd probably scrounge some standoffs if I put a second cage on.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-14, 12:07 PM
Torchy McFlux

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you really need to use those bosses, I'd just use one of those old bottle cages with a resin base:

Attached Images
Old 05-30-14, 02:15 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
My thought was they are low profile to prevent interference with a pump...
Old 05-30-14, 02:35 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Exactly.
Old 05-30-14, 02:56 PM
Chombi

Uhmmm..... Per my experience, pump bodies usually do not contact the seat tube. They are usually a couple or of mm's apart from each other when the pump is mounted on the frame, Just the fact that the seat lug and the BB shell will push out the pump ends forward on the bike frame, you cannot expect the pump body to be contacting the seat tube, so I don't think a totally flush boss like those is not really needed.
Old 05-30-14, 03:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3619 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
More likely, brazed on standard bosses, then filed off the flange to make it flush with the tube.
Old 05-30-14, 04:34 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Chombi
I doubt if any bike manufacturer would handle their waterbottle bosses different from down tube to seat tube. Just does not make sense to do so cost-wise, and in terms of people wanting it not to be noticable, that does not make sense too, and pretty much everyone would want to cover those holes with water bottle cage bolts, to keep moisture from going into the frame and also to protect the treads from corrosion damage.
If it seems like the paint covers any seams from threaded inserts inside the seat tube, the bike might have been repainted at one time and the re-finisher/frame builder(?) might have actually installed the second water bottle mount on the seat tube for the owner the same time it was refinished.....
I would agree with you, but for the fact that I'm fairly certain (or as certain as one can be in the C&V world) that this frame is as-delivered from the factory. I think Torchy McFlux nailed it, even though it makes little sense to me (or you).

Here are the flush holes with their original fasteners installed - should be well-sealed from moisture:

Originally Posted by miamijim
This would make a lot of sense, except for the fact that there's a pump peg on the head tube (that brown smug on the upper lug is dirt, not rust):

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-30-14, 04:39 PM
Chombi

I guess it's just a case of "different strokes for different folks" with the builder of that frame. Certainly not the "normal"/"usual" way to handle seat tube water bottle cage mounting bosses,........ but there it is!
Old 05-30-14, 10:55 PM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My (ex) '89 Pinarello Treviso had this exact set-up…I ran small hard rubber washers between the bottle cage and the frame…FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 05-31-14, 05:36 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
My (ex) '89 Pinarello Treviso had this exact set-up…I ran small hard rubber washers between the bottle cage and the frame…FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis
I use hard rubber washers between all my frames and bottle cages.

As for the OP's bosses, he should finish the bike, market it to triathletes as having "aero" cage bosses, and double the price....
Old 05-31-14, 07:59 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
As for the OP's bosses, he should finish the bike, market it to triathletes as having "aero" cage bosses, and double the price....
Actually, hoping to make this one a keeper. We shall see . . .