Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What a difference a proper tool makes!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 06:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts

Over some periods of time, including recently I muck a lot with my drivetrain and that can involve coping with shift cables, trimming those cables and their housing. After looking over various threads on this forum, I went ahead and bought myself a Swiss-made Felco C7 cutter for the purpose. That cutter cuts the cables and housings like butter. The cuts are clean and I can repeat them next to each other over and over in trimming.

To some extent now it is hard for me to think about living without that tool. Before, I used a Dremel cutting wheel. It was OK with housings although slow and melting the inner sleeve. It routinely left the cables frayed, though, by the time it was done. I soldered the ends, but once the threads were bent out of alignment it was hard to get them together. You could solder the threads together before cutting, but activating the soldering infrastructure just for a cut that might not be final was a bit of an overkill. Felco leaves the ends clean and together so that you even hesitate to solder those ends.

Well, anyway, it is not the first time for me to be in a shock when finally getting the right tool for the job. After a while, I will presumably not look back at the cost.
Old 06-08-14, 06:42 PM
Hopslam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Over some periods of time, including recently I muck a lot with my drivetrain and that can involve coping with shift cables, trimming those cables and their housing. After looking over various threads on this forum, I went ahead and bought myself a Swiss-made Felco C7 cutter for the purpose. That cutter cuts the cables and housings like butter. The cuts are clean and I can repeat them next to each other over and over in trimming.

To some extent now it is hard for me to think about living without that tool. Before, I used a Dremel cutting wheel. It was OK with housings although slow and melting the inner sleeve. It routinely left the cables frayed, though, by the time it was done. I soldered the ends, but once the threads were bent out of alignment it was hard to get them together. You could solder the threads together before cutting, but activating the soldering infrastructure just for a cut that might not be final was a bit of an overkill. Felco leaves the ends clean and together so that you even hesitate to solder those ends.

Well, anyway, it is not the first time for me to be in a shock when finally getting the right tool for the job. After a while, I will presumably not look back at the cost.

Amen good tools are a joy of life

welcome to the club

down side you can't go back

Ever