Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Cannondales considered good bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 01:32 PM
HawkeyeCubs34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been researching long and hard about the next big big purchase for road biking, road races and cirts. (I currently have a 2012 Schwinn Paramount 5, just to offer a point of reference). One brand I have always wanted was Cannondale. However, I don't want to get a Cannondale for the sake of having one. I'd rather get the right bike for the aforementioned activities. If a Cannondale is equal to that of Colnago or Trek just to name a few, I might just go with what I aspired for. Otherwise, I would certainly keep an open mind. Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-14, 01:36 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
This is a very broad question.

In other news, you're from Iowa, like the Cubs (and the Javy Baez call-up from Iowa), and Walter Payton is your favorite Bear.
Old 08-05-14, 01:43 PM
HawkeyeCubs34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are incredibly astute. #BearDown .

I would be happy to provide some clarification. I would definitely go for a carbon frame, pay within the 2500-3000 range...before the sale price is applied. An example of one I looked at is the Cannondale SuperSix EVO 3 Ultregra D (yes, I copy and pasted that from a shop's page).
Old 08-05-14, 01:49 PM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubs34
I'd rather get the right bike for the aforementioned activities. If a Cannondale is equal to that of Colnago or Trek just to name a few, I might just go with what I aspired for. Otherwise, I would certainly keep an open mind. Any thoughts?
Yes, Cannondale is like Trek, Specialized, etc. It's a "real" bike brand, not a cheap Walmart bike brand. They make all kinds of models, just like the other brands. The Cannondale Synapse is their latest popular "endurance" road bike, fyi.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 08-05-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 01:54 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
Cannondales, like Trek and Specialized and some others, offer a complete range from beginners to what the top pro's ride in the TdF. Just don't expect a $600 Cannondale to be equal to a $8,000 Specialized or Trek. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-05-14, 01:56 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are incredibly astute. #BearDown .

I would be happy to provide some clarification. I would definitely go for a carbon frame, pay within the 2500-3000 range...before the sale price is applied. An example of one I looked at is the Cannondale SuperSix EVO 3 Ultregra D (yes, I copy and pasted that from a shop's page).
It's more about price point than brand. Remember that bike makers, much like car makers, don't really manufacture a lot of what goes into a bike. Frame production is generally centered in Taiwan among a relative handfew of companies and the components are the names that we're all familiar with, although some bike makers contract with these companies to make products with specific characteristics under their own brand.

But generally, a certain amount of money will get you a fairly consistent end product across all the major brands (e.g. Cdale, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Fuji, etc.)
Old 08-05-14, 01:56 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a caad10 and it worked out nicely.
Old 08-05-14, 02:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
The CAAD10 is a well regarded race bike.
Old 08-05-14, 02:35 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been researching long and hard about the next big big purchase for road biking, road races and cirts. (I currently have a 2012 Schwinn Paramount 5, just to offer a point of reference). One brand I have always wanted was Cannondale. However, I don't want to get a Cannondale for the sake of having one. I'd rather get the right bike for the aforementioned activities. If a Cannondale is equal to that of Colnago or Trek just to name a few, I might just go with what I aspired for. Otherwise, I would certainly keep an open mind. Any thoughts?
There are four "big" brands, which, taken together, probably account for something like 80% of the "serious road bike market" (as in, everything above the Sport Chalet / Big 5 level, sold in dedicated bike shops). These are: Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant. They compete directly with each other, their model lines are pretty well matched in features and prices. Specialized and Trek are the biggest two, and both of them are full-spectrum manufacturers (making everything except for drivetrain - from frames to saddles to wheels). Cannondale is a bit smaller but still significant, and primarily focuses on bikes. Giant is the biggest of all in terms of worldwide sales, but it's not as well known in the U.S. because it's not an American company (unlike the first three, which are formally American but make most of their bikes in Taiwan, Giant is Taiwanese through and through.)

Colnago is Kim Kardashian of road bikes. It is famous because it's famous - but no one is quite sure why any more. It's been around forever (it was a major manufacturer of high-end racing bikes in the 60s and 70s, before Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale even existed) and it built up huge brand recognition which it uses to sell unremarkable bikes for 2x the price of matching Cannondales. The same describes a few other brands like Pinarello and Orbea.

Then there are some "specialty" brands (e.g. Cervelo, which specializes on light aerodynamic carbon frames, and Surly), and a bunch of smaller brands that try to compete with Trek/Specialized/etc but lack the market share (e.g. GT or Raleigh).

If you're interested in a carbon bike and you live in Iowa, you should pay extra attention to aerodynamics. Cannondale is good but it does not make any aero-specific frames. Take a look at Specialized Venge and Giant Propel.

Last edited by hamster; 08-05-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 02:48 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think of it this way (I like to refer to cars)...

You've got your exotics (Ferrari, Lambos etc) - Crumptons, Paketas... custom carbons with DI2/super light weight

You've got your euro/Asian luxury (MB, BMW, Audi, Acura) - Cervelo, Colnago, Bianchi

You've got your Asian/domestic normals (Honda, Ford, Chevy, Dodge) - Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Kona

And you've got your cheap asian's (Kia, Hyundai's) - Schwinn, Fuji, Mongoose
Old 08-05-14, 04:54 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Just don't expect a $600 Cannondale to be equal to a $8,000 Specialized or Trek. You get what you pay for.
I thought you wrote "dont expect a 6,000 dollar cannondale to be equal to a 8,000$ specialized or trek"

carry on

Old 08-05-14, 05:29 PM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in a word... No
Old 08-05-14, 05:32 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Is the Pope, Catholic?
Old 08-05-14, 05:47 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet, didn't know my Bianchi was a luxury brand!

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-05-14, 05:48 PM
osiris419

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Allez, Trek Farley, Trek Crockett, Deluxe Team dirt jump BMX, SE Draft, S&M ATF, S&M L.A.M.F., S&M PBR, BSD TrailOrPark, SE Vans PK Ripper

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cannondale makes a good bike. Their aluminum frames are some of the best you can buy, I'm not sure about their carbon but I'll guess they are just as good. I work at a Trek and Specialized dealer. I suggest checking out the Trek Madone. It will work for your type of riding, you can also customize the bike to your liking using Trek's Project One.
Old 08-05-14, 05:57 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Sweet, didn't know my Bianchi was a luxury brand!
Only if it's celeste
Old 08-05-14, 07:08 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale makes an excellent bike. The CAAD line is one of the most versatile and durable on the market. The EVO, well, Peter Sagan rides it. it's one of the best made, period.
Old 08-05-14, 08:40 PM
Will Goes Boing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is like asking whether Kate Upton is a hot babe..... or whether a Ferrari is a nice car..... or Kobe beef is good beef. You get my drift.
Old 08-05-14, 09:37 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
taken together, probably account for something like 80% of the "serious road bike market" (as in, everything above the Sport Chalet / Big 5 level, sold in dedicated bike shops). These are: Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant.
On the second thought, it's more like 50%.

Current eBay road bike listings (excluding low-end like Schwinn and very rare brands):
Trek: 169
Specialized: 169
Cannondale: 113
Giant: 90
Scott: 71
Marin, Cervelo, Colnago, Fuji, Pinarello, Bianchi, Felt, Jamis, Raleigh, Orbea, Look, BMC (together): 468
Old 08-05-14, 09:48 PM
scplus5

Bikes: 2009 caad 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing
This is like asking whether Kate Upton is a hot babe..... or whether a Ferrari is a nice car..... or Kobe beef is good beef. You get my drift.
Pics needed.
Old 08-05-14, 09:56 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy one.
Old 08-05-14, 09:57 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone's an expert....
Old 08-05-14, 10:04 PM
Farhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 04 cannondale saeco, cadd 3 or 4 I think. I really like it, its held up to my overweight self. I'm just not sure about the SI cranks though.
Old 08-05-14, 10:44 PM
rousseau

Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cderalow
Think of it this way (I like to refer to cars)...

You've got your exotics (Ferrari, Lambos etc) - Crumptons, Paketas... custom carbons with [strike]DI2/super light weight[/strike] Super Record

You've got your euro/[strike]asian[/strike] Canadian luxury (MB, BMW, Audi, Acura) - Cervelo, Colnago, Bianchi

You've got your Asian/domestic normals (Honda, Ford, Chevy, Dodge) - Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Kona

And you've got your cheap asian's (Kia, Hyundai's) - Schwinn, Fuji, Mongoose
Fixed that for you. But otherwise a stellar delineation of how to look at bike brands in motoring terms.
Old 08-05-14, 10:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Adequate. some brands have cashe' see the 'why are roadies snobs' threads..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.