Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jack Taylor help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Jack Taylor help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 11:27 AM
benkezza123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jack Taylor help

Hi,

New to this board so please go easy on me. If I've posted this in the wrong section (or even the wrong site?) I do apologise. Advice would be appreciated.

My name's Ben and I'm from Stockton-on-Tees in England.

I've recently purchased a Jack Taylor bike that was described as a 50th Anniversary model. Please see the photo's below.

https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153934.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153901.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153851.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153837.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153831.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153821.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...817_153756.jpg
https://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...815_220337.jpg

This is where the confusion starts.

The serial # is 6801. This suggests it was built in 1974, not 1984 when the 50th anniversary was. My best(?) current hypothesis is that it was taken back to the Jack Taylor Cycles shop for some work in 1984 and this is why it has the 50th Anniversary decal on. Or perhaps it was built in '84 with the left rear drop out (which has the 1974 serial number on) being used.

Any ideas or similar situations cropped up? Any help or expert opinions would be hugely appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions. The guy I purchased it from knows his stuff about bikes (his shed was a treasure trove of English classics) and he doesn't think it's had any work done to it. He bought it off a woman in Scotland.

Many thanks!
Old 08-17-14, 01:17 PM
redcaymatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get In touch with Robert Freeman at Elliot Bay Cycles in Seattle https://elliottbaybicycles.com He has the build book for all Taylor frames. The Parts sure look to be from 84. Good luck.
Old 08-17-14, 01:24 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pics of the guy's shed please!

Nice bike. I imagine you're pretty pleased to get a bike from the town you live in, I sure would be.
Old 08-17-14, 01:37 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 24 Posts
The brake levers and pedals on the bike are both aero-style components that were not introduced until the 1980s. Maybe the bike went in for a refresh of paint and components a decade or so after it was originally built?
Old 08-17-14, 01:42 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 3,086 Times in 1,571 Posts
50th anniversary of what? Jack Taylor? That 105 group looks more like '90 or '91 to me.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-17-14, 02:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Yea you should be able to walk by where their store and shop was.
Old 08-20-14, 04:54 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello Ben, welcome to the forum.

I believe that prior to wrapping up business at their shop Jack Taylor Cycles offered a refinishing opportunity for their previous frames. The 50 year anniversary (1936-1986) decal is quite nice. Does the Reynolds decal above the shifters state your frame's model type diagonally?

It appears that your bike had sported a Jack Taylor rear rack, perhaps a later addition?
Old 08-20-14, 05:34 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just saw your photos, them racks do turn up occasionally. Perhaps the fellow you purchased it from could put you onto a Taylor made rack and stem. That's a nice Tourist you have there Ben, check out this link for an eyeful of the brother's great works: Jack Taylor Cycles - Serial # Registry
Old 03-07-15, 03:51 AM
benkezza123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very late response but thanks guys. I've been away for a long time and only just got back to ride my JT properly.

Typically for me, riding home from work last night my chain snapped and rear derailleur broke. I'm now completely confused as to what parts to buy for it. My knowledge level of bicycles is not exactly expert. Im worried about taking it to a local bike shop and then getting modern, out of character parts on it. I'm also keen for mudguards (fenders) and lights, but again I don't know what parts would suit a 70-80s bike.

Any help on the above would be hugely appreciated guys!

I've been reading through the forum and hope to become a regular poster now
Old 03-07-15, 06:41 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Definitely a set of white bluemel fenders. I'm not sure how available these are, but a shop local to me has them. Shipping across the pond would probably make that an unattractive alternative.

On the parts...do you just want a derailleur that fits the other parts on the bike, or are you looking to restore this to what it "should" be?

If you want a reasonably appropriate derailleur that fits the other parts, you're looking for a Shimano 7sp gruppo 105, or tricolor. Good news, they can be had on ebay for a song. I'll dare say a member here can help you out with one. I'd send one myself if I had one in reserve.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Shimano parts on there - they work quite well. In fact they likely work better than the "correct" parts I'm going to recommend. To me, that bike is just AWESOME. There aren't many bikes I've come across as nice as Jack taylors are, and I'd probably build it up with period appropriate higher end parts. I'm not sure what the hills are like near you, which would determine some of what I did, but I'd probably go with Campagnolo nuovo record and a triple crank on front. That would likely be the time appropriate direction, though 84' also saw the release of shimano's dura ace 7400 group. A 7400 group would not be out of place here at all.

There are a lot of different directions you could go here. The star of this show is the frame, and regardless of parts, the frame is a beaut. I'd also consider Suntour superbe. I might even Frankenstein it (using a mix of parts)...a TA triple crank, campagnolo NR levers, tektro dual pivots, Suntour cyclone derailleur, or maybe Shimano deerhead. You could even modernize it with some nice silver campagnolo centaur 10 speed.

It really depends on your needs, wants and budget!
Old 03-07-15, 09:32 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 948 Posts
I love the aesthetic of the Taylor Brothers' bikes. I don't think I could ever own one because I'd want to tinker with the hardware and turn it into something that it's not. If you've got a beautiful candidate for turning into a bike that suits what you want... that's an incredible opportunity.

As I recall, from looking over the Taylor Brothers' bikes- it seems a lot of the bikes were brazed, and even put together before they were sold. I recall that late 60s model with the Cyclo derailleur system- as well as a few "new in the box" bikes.

Were the Jack Taylor bikes prohibitively expensive? If the bikes were really pricey, they may not have sold like hot cakes (despite being hot bikes)- so they kind of got moved to the back- as new orders came in, and then rediscovered and sold as a "current" model.

BTW Ben, that's a really great bike!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 03-07-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 03:16 PM
redcaymatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As far as parts go, most of the Taylor bikes you see won't have a complete group from any one manufacturer on them. The Taylor's were pragmatic and used what worked best. Often TA or Stronglight cranks with any number of gear systems. Check out the Flickr Jack Taylor group and you'll see what I mean. Also for a 70's bike look at the derby king site. He's got a few bikes from the era and his parts choices are smart and functional. For fenders I'd go with modern Honjo or VO. As to Bluemels although period correct for some older bikes I don't think they were in wide use in the 70s. On fine bicycles. Also the quality on those is lousy. If you want plastic fenders get a set of esge. The hardware is top shelf and they really hold up. And golden boy go for it if you get the chance. Taylor's unlike many other bikes from the golden age lend themselves to customization. I've seen many really odd builds and I love that. The thing of a Taylor is its beauty, build quality and durability. They really are the ultimate do it all bikes.

Last edited by redcaymatt; 03-07-15 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Typo