Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Royce hubs - any experience of F&R disc hubs?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 04:19 PM
barkersoldbean

Bikes: Canyon Dura ace, Pinarello Asolo Super Record, Holdsworth Nuovo Record, Duratec Di2 Tandem, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Looking at getting a 2nd set of lighter/sportier wheels for the (Ibis touché) tandem (32-36 hole, disc, 145 rear, 100 front). Current 48 spoke hope hub wheels are bullet proof but jeepers they are heavy (4.5kg incl discs, tyres, tubes) which is overkill when not ding loaded touring, given that we are ~120kg team and a ~20kg bike.

I have read the tandem geek blog regarding the Calfee build and the wheel choice (velocity rims, white ind hubs) - but I was wanting to use Royce hubs as they are high quality, good looking and English.

Can't seem to find anything on the web or blogs regarding reports?

Anyone got any experience of these hubs - are they robust/reliable?
Old 09-04-14, 12:44 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Royce make well-respected hubs, popular especially with English touring cyclists. I wouldn't go any less than 36 spokes on the rear, and since each spoke only weighs about 6 grams, I would be inclined towards 40 rear and 36 front spokes. We've used that setup (with NOS Shimano XT tandem hubs) for several years of unladen riding and some fully-loaded touring without any issues.