Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 11:35 PM
chubbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which wheels?

Dear all

I have recently purchased my first "good" bike - Giant TCR Advanced - and loving it!

The bike comes with Giant P-SL1 Wheels, which I understand are the most basic wheels made by Giant. P-SL1 WheelSystem (WheelSystems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

So far the wheels have been fine for training, but I wonder how good they really are. Unfortunately, I could not find any proper reviews, and I do not have much experience to know how good wheels feel like. I signed up for a 160km sportive, and I wonder if I could improve the experience by getting new wheels.

I have been thinking about the following wheelsets:

* Campagnolo Zonda - wiggle.com | Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

* Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 - wiggle.com | Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

* Campagnolo Neutron Ultra - wiggle.com | Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Clincher Road Bike Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

* Zipp 30 - wiggle.com | Zipp 30 Clincher Wheelset 2013 | Road Race Wheels

My questions are:

1. At this price point, will I feel any noticeable difference between my P-SL1 and these wheels? Will 200-300g of weight really make that much difference?

2. Out of the above wheels, are the more expensive = better? If not, which of the four would you recommend?

3. Any other wheels I should consider (under about USD700)? I am looking for something what would roll fast and climb well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-14, 12:05 AM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know your current wheels, but really good wheels typically might gain you a minute or two per hour of riding, mostly in aerodynamics. Comfort issues are better addressed through tire choice and psi.

I am not saying it is worthless to upgrade your wheels. But it is unlikely to net you sinificant speed gains short of going to a deeper carbon wheel. Unless you are a having a specific and obvious durability or flex issue.