Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nite Rider Battery

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nite Rider Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 11:47 AM
R1ceboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nite Rider Battery

I just got a Nite rider battery on Ebay that didn't come with a battery. I was wondering if you guys could help me identify what kind of battery i would need and where would be the cheapest place to get one. Thanks

The connector on the micro-brute charger
Old 04-07-05, 12:24 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.niterider.com/contact.php
Old 04-07-05, 04:06 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Should've asked that question before buying it off ebay methinks...
Old 04-07-05, 08:46 PM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Niterider is very helpful, we use their products on our police bikes. Warning, batteries are expensive!
Old 04-07-05, 09:27 PM
Ohio Trekker
Passing!

Bikes: Trek 1988-520 & 2003-7500, 2004 Specialized Allez Sport & Stumpjumper Comp

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My digital uses that same charger, but my connector is different. That's the biggest problem I have with their products is the range of connectorrs they use. If you don't want to drop the bucks on a NR brand battery, you might just consider a battery warehouse type of place and make your own connector.

I can also tell you, make sure you plug in the adaptor and wait for the light on the charger to glow steady, otherwise you end up in a flash mode and it will not charge the battery. That's also one of their better chargers and is not time based, but senses the level of charge on the battery, beyond that, I had a remote switch on my digital that went back, phoned them up, they sent me a new one, no questions asked, and didn't even ask for the old one back. To me that type of service warranted another purchase from them.

Last but not least, you may want to order a bulb too if you order the they seem to be proprietary type of bulbs, but I haven't had to replace one yet!
Old 04-07-05, 10:52 PM
R1ceboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I ended up just going to radio shack today to pick up a 4 cell holder and a 2 conductor plug. I tired using 4 NIMH and Low and behold, it some what works. It just seems to go flicker on and off. If i go straight to the bulb, by passing the electronics, it is pretty bright. I think once i add another battery and acutally solder everything down. I'll have myself a new battery and light for under 30 bucks. Gotta love Ebay and circuits.
Old 04-07-05, 10:57 PM
Ohio Trekker
Passing!

Bikes: Trek 1988-520 & 2003-7500, 2004 Specialized Allez Sport & Stumpjumper Comp

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Way to go!!
Old 04-07-05, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Do you think this light is any good? I got it at the close outs at the Chicago bike show. I haven't used it yet, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Koffee

Old 04-07-05, 11:16 PM
Ohio Trekker
Passing!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
From what I have read, the micro-brutes were provided with the better lights, and the digials were the better of the halogens. I have since gone with their top of the line HID, kinda spendy for my taste, but with the hours I work I have to ride at night or not ride almost 1/2 of the year. I know the DIY'ers would think I was crazy, BUT. My kids are thrilled to use the Halogen when they ride at night with me although I put off enough light for cars to follow me down the road if they want. The HID is overkill for urban riding, and I have to be careful not to blind people.

The halogen is bright but not as "offensive" as the HID, and the only reason I upgraded was for the run time. If your only going for about an hour to an hour and a half it's plenty, and if you slow down and run it on a lower setting, thats fine too, but I had a tendency to over-ride it even on high. My new one also has the LEDs across the bottom which I tend to use on lit streets, plenty of visibility, and the battery will last all night, even if I won't!

I think the biggest difference between the newer ones and the one pictured is a clear on-off button with indicators for battery level.

At any rate, I can GUARANTEE, as long as it's working, it's better than the best LED's out there. Wink Wink!!

If it's a close out, did you get it in the box?
Old 04-08-05, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yup. Came with the box. I am so lucky to have gotten a great light! I couldn't believe my good luck to find the only digital light they had, so I snatched it up as quickly as I could.

Thanks for the info.

Koffee