Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Hand fatique prevention?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Hand fatique prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 01:42 PM
troie
:\ ping of death

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hand fatique prevention?

Halfway through my decent yesterday, my hand started cramping and hurting big time. I used more brake than normal but is that the only reason why? When I say hurt I mean I had to stop and stretch my hand and rub my palms for the pain to go away. It was unbearable. Other than hand stretches could the problem be my brakes?
Old 04-08-05, 01:45 PM
CranxOC

Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troie
Halfway through my decent yesterday, my hand started cramping and hurting big time. I used more brake than normal but is that the only reason why? When I say hurt I mean I had to stop and stretch my hand and rub my palms for the pain to go away. It was unbearable. Other than hand stretches could the problem be my brakes?
It's all about conditioning bro. Spend some time in the gym using free weights where you're actually gripping someting heavy and you'll find that long descents become less painful. No doubt you'll still get somewhat sore but your conditioning will help mitigate the pain.

Also, if you're not using them already, consider going to disc brakes. You have a higher degree of modulation which allows you to achieve the greater braking efficiency with less effort. My $.02.
Old 04-08-05, 01:47 PM
PaulBravey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the position of your levers too - make sure you don't have to stretch your hand too much to grab the brakes.
Old 04-08-05, 01:48 PM
Karldar
SNIKT!

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More water might help, too-and potassium. Supposed to aid in cramp prevention. If it's a really long DH, it might take awhile to get accustomed to using the brakes. ^Conditioning and whatnot....
Old 04-08-05, 01:52 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CranxOC
It's all about conditioning bro. Spend some time in the gym using free weights where you're actually gripping someting heavy and you'll find that long descents become less painful. No doubt you'll still get somewhat sore but your conditioning will help mitigate the pain.

Also, if you're not using them already, consider going to disc brakes. You have a higher degree of modulation which allows you to achieve the greater braking efficiency with less effort. My $.02.
He knows what hes talking about...no need for me to add my 2cents
Old 04-08-05, 02:05 PM
troie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not going disc until next year when I get new hubs and a new wheelset. Im upgrading my stock tektro's to avid arch rivals and my crappy sh1tmano levers to avid sd7's. Im looking forward to this "one finger braking"

I drink plenty of water nearly 2 gallons a day and I lift weights 4 days of the week without gloves. Honestly, I think its my brakes/bad rims.
Old 04-08-05, 03:03 PM
camaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you wear gloves when you're riding?
Old 04-08-05, 03:21 PM
WorldWind
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a Power Ball, do some grip exercises.... and get off the breaks on the down hill.

Also there are many really good break pads available now, check with the LBS that the down hillers in your area frequent to get the word on what works best for your local terrain.
Old 04-08-05, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by camaddy

I second the gloves.

Koffee

Old 04-08-05, 03:26 PM
CranxOC

Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not going disc until next year when I get new hubs and a new wheelset. Im upgrading my stock tektro's to avid arch rivals and my crappy sh1tmano levers to avid sd7's. Im looking forward to this "one finger braking"

I drink plenty of water nearly 2 gallons a day and I lift weights 4 days of the week without gloves. Honestly, I think its my brakes/bad rims.
It sounds like you know what the problem is so, the only thing you can do now is get new brakes. It pretty much sounds like you're just going to have to live with hand pain for a while.
Old 04-08-05, 03:36 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
better brakes will definantly help. GO on ebay and you can find some nice V brake sets for reasonably low fees
Old 04-08-05, 03:49 PM
shane45
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drag your feet once in a while - give those hands a break.

Squeezing a rubber ball for 5 - 10 minutes a night while you're watchin' TV helps too.
Old 04-08-05, 07:27 PM
iamthetas

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got some LG erGOair gloves and it solved my problem. I figured WTHeck, Ive tried everything else so.... and they work great. supposedly the hands can get too hot with normal gloves and these are like coolmax for the hands only more hardy and very well padded. I got Xgels for warm weather(fingerless and Freddys for cold(full finger for temps. below30f). disc brakes will help tremendously but if you go Avid Mech. they will still get a little hard to hold on long descents. Hydro is the 1 finger braking you speak of for long, steep hills
Old 04-08-05, 08:37 PM
bruiser2
Ex Go-Kart racer

Bikes: Trek Bruiser 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your original post, did you mean you were having a decent ride as in one that was pretty god, or decsent with an "s" as in on your way back down a hill? I'm jw for my own curiosity because you spelled it decent and others were saying decsent.
Old 04-08-05, 08:42 PM
snakehunter
Local Genius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha I know haow to prevent it.....>STOP KILLING KITTENS
Old 04-08-05, 08:45 PM
bruiser2
Ex Go-Kart racer

Bikes: Trek Bruiser 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nvm on my previous post, I could have sworn i saw the word ride after decent, it's late and my eyes aren't all that good, I need glasses i think.
Old 04-08-05, 11:04 PM
.:MTB:.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you need to play around with bike fit some to take the weight off your arms?
Old 04-09-05, 07:39 AM
troie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you serious? I wear gloves everytime I ride.

Last edited by troie; 04-09-05 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 07:49 AM
Original 6
<<<<>>>>

Bikes: 2004 Kona Caldera "stock"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO,You should relax your hands while riding.
Old 04-09-05, 07:57 AM
troie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Original 6
IMO,You should relax your hands while riding.
Its kind of difficult to relax your hand and brake at the same time dontcha think?
Old 04-09-05, 08:09 AM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think he means relax your hands any time when not on the brake. If your hands are always clamped down hard they are bound to fatigue
Old 04-09-05, 08:27 AM
camaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your pretty defensive seeing as how you asked a question about hand fatigue. Maybe you should include more info next time so everyone doesn't have to try and guess what your problem is. And you should also quit being a baby about your hands hurting and just ride through it. Eventually your hands will be strong enough to take it.
Old 04-09-05, 08:38 AM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Honestly, I think its my brakes/bad rims.
Get new brakes then. That should help the situation.
Old 04-09-05, 09:04 AM
troie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your pretty defensive seeing as how you asked a question about hand fatigue. Maybe you should include more info next time so everyone doesn't have to try and guess what your problem is. And you should also quit being a baby about your hands hurting and just ride through it. Eventually your hands will be strong enough to take it.
I provided enough info, youre just ignorant to think that I (let alone anyone) would ride without gloves.
Old 04-09-05, 09:16 AM
Karldar
SNIKT!

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, people are stupid. Some of the people are stupid all of the time, but all of the people are stupid some of the time....

[edit] Been meaning to put that in my sig for a while now. Apologies to P.T. Barnum or whoever said that about fooling people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.