Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reason for my absence...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 05:11 PM
joshuat80

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi C-Sport 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reason for my absence...

Well I just received my bike on the 29th of December, and took her for a ride on December 30th. I loved it... That night I went in my Dad's bedroom and was showing it off ( he had a cold / recovering from the flu) anyways we were talking about the Hydraulic disk brakes and how smooth they were. It was an enjoyable conversation, I even was able to show him one of my Plumerias that was in bloom.
The next day I tried to go for a ride, Saddle sore and did not go very far... Came back home seen my dad had not left for work, I checked on him and he was sick and ditching work. well, then i went to work and started doing a few bills around 2 that afternoon, I called him and discussed a few things with him... every thing normal... Two hours later I get a call from my wife saying that she thought that my dad was dead.... After getting home i learned it was a Massive Heart and It happened quick and while he was watching a B rated sci-fi flick on his laptop... Earphones still in....(atleast he was enjoying himself) He was 59 years old... and this was totally unexpected... I really do miss him..

I do not write this so that i can get a bunch of I am sorrys, or anything like that... I write this because I luckily had a great relationship with my father, all things that should be said, I love you... I appreciate how you raised me.. and i appreciate the man you made me.... Those conversations were said... I still mourn for him and will always mourn for him, but I am at peace with his death... small regret is I did not happen to say I loved him that day... but it was said often enough for me to move on... I recommend everyone tell their love ones how they feel on a regular basis. It will not get rid of the pain but it can give you peace.....

On a different note.. I am almost to the 40 mile marker total on my bike with my highest ride is 9 Miles... I know I said i was going to post a pic of me and my bike... Will try to do that this coming weekend.
Sorry if this was drawn out a little and my grammar sucks.. but I just wanted to tell the story...
Old 01-11-15, 05:28 PM
gjhsu

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL6 | Litespeed Ultimate Disc | Chumba Terlingua, Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, but am glad to know you were on such good terms with your dad.
Old 01-11-15, 06:07 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear your dad and you had a good relationship. No one knows when its their time. Sorry for your loss, and I wish you many happy miles on that bike! Remember your dad for who he was, and do the best to be the man he would want you to be.

Thoughts to you and your family in this time of loss. And thanks for making me jealous the closest thing I get to a bike ride this time of year is to ride the rollers! The roads are literally white from the salt used here, no place for a bike. And its cold, too..
Old 01-11-15, 06:16 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My sincere condolences for your loss. That is great that you had such a great relationship with him. I miss my dad also he passed in '96.
Congrats on the new bike.
Old 01-11-15, 06:45 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well written-still miss my dad he passed at 57 of a massive heart attack at of places a health club. We had some good years together. I miss his advice and often think what I could of learned from him. Be comforted in your good memories.
Old 01-11-15, 07:18 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So sorry to hear that OP. It's pretty neat though that in his last days (even if nobody knew it was his last days), you got to show off your new bike. You're gonna make some memories on that bike!
Old 01-11-15, 07:37 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Reason for my absence...

Sorry for your loss. Not much else to say.
Old 01-11-15, 08:01 PM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To soon so sorry.
Old 01-11-15, 09:05 PM
wmforge

Bikes: 2015 Crosstrail Elite Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My deepest condolences for your loss.
Old 01-11-15, 10:29 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 01-11-15, 10:42 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad and I had the gift of a wonderful relationship. Good on you both. I miss mine, been almost 5 years now. I will continue to miss him. You will too. Not a bad thing, just what it is.

Godspeed to your dad. He was younger than I am, I hate hearing that.

Rod
Old 01-11-15, 11:16 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
My Dad also passed from a massive heart attack just shy of his 59th birthday. I was 22 and I finally crossed the line to become "older" than him this past year. We also always had a close and loving relationship. I can tell you that the great memories you have of him never fade and will stay in your heart forever. Pass those great stories on to your kids and he will become a part of their memories, too. I believe this is the only immortality we can achieve and it is good enough for me. Peace.
Old 01-12-15, 07:10 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My dad died of a massive heart attack at 46 years old, I was 22 years old then.

That leaves a mark...it is hard to not measure your life as x/46....but I am 50 now so my fraction is an improper one :-).

Bill
Old 01-12-15, 07:47 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing a lovely story. Glad you had some good final memories with him. Condolences to you and yours. Thanks for the reminder to take this stuff seriously and make some dietary changes (not saying that was his issue, but it's my biggest risk factor), 59 is too young and I'll be there myself before I know it.
Old 01-12-15, 08:48 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey Joshua,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing (relatively) well with it all. You sound like you're in a healthy place mentally, and it's great that you have so many good memories to hang on to.

I agree with [MENTION=365243]raceboy[/MENTION], pass those stories on to your kids so his legacy can live on with them.

At 6'3" and 420 pounds, I'm glad that you're out there riding your bike. It seems that you're taking the necessary steps to make sure that your kids don't have to lose their father earlier than they should! Keep up the good work!
Old 01-12-15, 09:53 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know whether to say condolences or congrats... take whether suit you best. I am glad you focus on having therelationship with your dad and not on your loss... keep riding; it will help keep your head clear...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-12-15, 02:49 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, but seems like you had a great relationship with your father. Cherish the memories.
Old 01-12-15, 06:05 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My condolences. Your story touched me where you described your chats with your dad about bike brakes. I have similar chats with my dad on similar topics (car repair) and its not about the content but about the experience of commonality. We can shoot the breeze for hours (even though hes 76 now), and will certainly miss it when the sad day comes.

Congrats on your biking
Old 01-12-15, 06:38 PM
joshuat80

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi C-Sport 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ty all for your kind words... Right now I can not wait till time changes.. longer hours means more opportunities to ride.. Keeping the mind and body busy is a good thing
Old 01-19-15, 05:19 AM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuat80
Ty all for your kind words... Right now I can not wait till time changes.. longer hours means more opportunities to ride.. Keeping the mind and body busy is a good thing
That is the same therapy I have used for the loss of my dad. Bicycle and (yes it is another forum) motorcycle rides. And fixing, improving, maintaining things. I still miss him, it just gets better.

Rod
Old 08-11-15, 05:33 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm also fortunate to have had a great relationship with my dad - aside from the "stupid years" between 16 and 20 anyway. He's still with us and recently he and my mom bought TerraTrikes and started riding. He suffered a mild stroke earlier this summer but they're back out riding as of last week. He's 67 and I'm hopeful we'll have him around for a few more years since my Grandparents lived to their mid-80s and Great Grandparents to their mid-90s.
Old 08-11-15, 08:10 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
I'm sorry. I lost my dad 3.5 years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

I have some friends whose relationships with their dads were so terrible that when their fathers passed away they were indifferent or even happy. I am so thankful that my dad and I had a great relationship. When I'm missing him I remind myself that I'm blessed that he was such a great father that I miss him every day. In fact when he was in hospice I joked with him that, "This would be a lot easier for me if you'd been a jerk." He understood what I meant and smiled.

I often think about him when I ride my bike. Not because he was a cyclist, but because riding gives me a lot of time to think.
Old 08-11-15, 08:18 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,120 Times in 7,568 Posts
FYI....This thread is 7 months old. And the post that resurrected it has been deleted. Hmmmmm.
Old 08-11-15, 08:21 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just noticed that. You're right.
Old 08-11-15, 08:26 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,120 Times in 7,568 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
I just noticed that. You're right.
The post just before yours was the one that resurrected the thread and then was deleted. Same guy resurrected another old thread in this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.