Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Really serious taillights

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 11:50 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

OK, the place I work is moving though my department won't be moving for another year so I have time to plan. However, they're moving to a place where from what I can tell, the drivers are seriously horrible. It's only 12 miles away from here, where I have no trouble, but it's got me worried. Three cyclists have been killed in the last year within 2 miles of the place, and a friend who lives nearby says she's jogged on those roads and she runs in foot high grass because all the drivers are staring at their phones all the time and weaving all over the road and into the gravel.

So I'm thinking I need to have a ludicrious amount of taillight.

At first I was thinking I'd go ahead and get the Dinotte 400R, but I think I might even go beyond that. I can go onto Amazon and pick up emergency vehicle light bars in 18 to 36 inch lengths. Those have pretty intense flash patterns.

I really don't want to go to this extent, but if it's this or get killed, I'll do what I have to. I will only be turning it on in the bad spots; it's going to be a 25 mile commute and all but about 5 miles of that are on road that I have no trouble with, and there are 2 miles of MUP (unfortunately spilling out onto the road that I need to take the last mile to work and it's the worst road of the route).

I'm going to need this day and night.

BTW what's the difference between the Dinotte 400R and the "daylight visible" one? They have ZERO specs on their website on the daylight visible light, just "it's daylight visible"

Looking at videos online, DesignShine looks like a better choice than Dinotte. Or heck, I actually design LED stuff as a hobby, I might just do my own.

What do people who live where they have no choice but to ride on 2 lane roads with no shoulders, no bike lanes or paths, and highly distracted drivers do?
Old 01-16-15, 01:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
If the drivers are the problem, a tail light is not the solution.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-15, 01:56 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I like the cygo hot shot and a side mirror.
Old 01-16-15, 02:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
I have seen this one: "daylight visible" .It didn't seem any brighter to me.

i use 2 Dinotte's on strobe.

Old 01-16-15, 02:11 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Started this way at First.

Old 01-16-15, 02:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,701 Times in 2,176 Posts
I've been using the light and motion vis 180 rear light on the seatpost, a rear blinkie strapped to my bag, and a rear blinkie mounted to my rack. Plus I have reflective material on my fenders, pedals, reflective leg straps etc.

Vis 180 Brown Shugga - Light & Motion
Old 01-16-15, 02:39 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
I am thinking maybe weld on a rear bumper from a 1972 Chevy Impala that has the tail lights embedded within the steel parts of the bumper. That way toy get good lighting and the protection you badly need all in one. Stay safe!
Old 01-16-15, 03:11 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Sounds like just an evil place to ride, no matter what. I'd go with a Dinotte (either the 300R or 400R) for the down range long view and then a Redzone 8 for the wide angle view. That ought to make you very visible.

The difference in effectiveness of the Dinotte 300R to 400R is probably not huge.

The ones to look at are the Nightflux Redzone, the Dinotte tail lights, Lupine's new tail light (Rotlicht).

J.
Old 01-16-15, 03:30 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 740 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Three cyclists have been killed in the last year within 2 miles of the place,
I wouldn't ride.
Old 01-16-15, 06:15 PM
GuyDebord

Bikes: No.22 Great Divide Disc Custom Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is your light: NiteFlux RedZone 8
I ride in NYC, home of the dreaded yellow cabs and apart from the vis180 on my helmet I use the RedZone 4 on my backpack and it is brighter than the Dinnotte 400R, plus its much lighter, super rugged and shines at full power beyond 180 degrees. This is the without doubt the best rear light available. The RedZone 8 takes it to airport level lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1477.JPG (76.5 KB, 593 views)
Old 01-16-15, 08:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I like the cygo hot shot and a side mirror.
Hell, I want more than a hot shot on my CURRENT route. I run a pulse 60 in addition to a hot shot now. The Hot Shot is by current standards, IMO, an average taillight.

What I want is so much light that it attracts the attention of someone who is only barely glancing at the road in front of them.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 01-16-15 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:15 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I wouldn't ride.
Yeah, I'm not that smart.
Old 01-16-15, 08:39 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
OK, after watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Nh_i2iz8E

I think I want what this guy has. A Niteflux Red Zone 8 on the helmet, a Dinotte 400R (or maybe a Designshine) on the bike, and a pair of Trek Beacons. Looks like about $400 in taillights, maybe $500. I have a year to save up for them.

I think there's a lot to be said for having a large surface area lit rather than a point source of light. I always insist on at LEAST two lights, at night I want a constant and a flashing one.

EDIT: Ordered a Designshine DS500 taillight. Looks like it kind of fries the Dinotte 400R.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 01-16-15 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:41 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Sounds like just an evil place to ride, no matter what. I'd go with a Dinotte (either the 300R or 400R) for the down range long view and then a Redzone 8 for the wide angle view. That ought to make you very visible.

The difference in effectiveness of the Dinotte 300R to 400R is probably not huge.

The ones to look at are the Nightflux Redzone, the Dinotte tail lights, Lupine's new tail light (Rotlicht).

J.
Thanks. The Lupine is only 2 watts. Heck I *HAVE* several 2 watt lights. They're pretty bright but I'm looking for a whole next level thing here.
Old 01-16-15, 09:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
The Las Vegas of bikes. I'd be embarrassed to go out like that. He must have to spend more time charging his batteries than riding...
Old 01-16-15, 09:23 PM
Ball Bearing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do people who live where they have no choice but to ride on 2 lane roads with no shoulders, no bike lanes or paths, and highly distracted drivers do?
That's me to a T. Designshine DS-500 is what you want. I figure the cost is akin to an insurance policy. The only problem is that once I saw with my own eyes how serious this light is I had to buy a second one for when I ride with my kids and wife. Figure in the currency exchange and postage to Australia and it ain't cheap.
Old 01-16-15, 09:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
....... it's got me worried. Three cyclists have been killed in the last year within 2 miles of the place,
That's crazy! That would have to be the most bicycle-dangerous two mile stretch of road in the history of American traffic. You must not have another soul on the planet that you think might miss you... if you plan to ride that.
Old 01-16-15, 09:26 PM
Ball Bearing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
If the drivers are the problem, a tail light is not the solution.
Phones have turned many otherwise good drivers into mobile accidents. I figure that when they glance up every few seconds a really bright tail light might make all the difference.
Old 01-16-15, 09:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
Phones have turned many otherwise good drivers into mobile accidents. I figure that when they glance up every few seconds a really bright tail light might make all the difference.
Some difference, sometimes, yes. All the difference you need every time, no. ItsJustMe describes a dangerous place. Tail lights alone won't make it safe.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-15, 10:49 PM
Ball Bearing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Some difference, sometimes, yes. All the difference you need every time, no. ItsJustMe describes a dangerous place. Tail lights alone won't make it safe.
Nothing will ever make we cyclists 100% safe. My strategy is to try and even up the odds a bit.
Old 01-16-15, 11:00 PM
vol

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I had the hotshot for a while, liked its small size, but it was not bright enough, so I replaced it with this one. It's much brighter. The main complaint about this is it can't be mounted to the rear rack (the manufacturer claims it can, but the tinny short screw is a joke--its length is barely the thickness of my rack mounting tab).
Old 01-16-15, 11:04 PM
Ball Bearing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I had the hotshot for a while, liked its small size, but it was not bright enough, so I replaced it with this one. It's much brighter. The main complaint about this is it can't be mounted to the rear rack (the manufacturer claims it can, but the tinny short screw is a joke--its length is barely the thickness of my rack mounting tab).
Amazon: "The Brightest Taillight on the Planet producing over 60 lumens" You could probably call Amazon customer service and get a freebee.
Old 01-17-15, 09:57 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
vol, FYI I had a Serfas as well, lost it due to the fabric clip it comes with being the worst design on the planet. The Axiom Pulse 60 from Performance Bike is pretty much exactly the same light and costs less. When I bought my Serfas it was $60, I think the Pulse 60 must have forced them to reduce the price.

The Pulse 60 is often on sale for $30. Since I have a Performance Bike store in town it's def the way to go. Now that Serfas has dropped the price on theirs it's not that much of a no-brainer as when they charged $60+ for the light though.

Axiom Pulse 60 LED Tail Light

BTW I designed a rear rack (reflector) mount for mine and printed it. I'm not really sure if the mount would be identical between the two though, I think they're a little different.

https://youmagine.com/designs/bicycl...0-to-reflector
Old 01-17-15, 10:49 AM
vol

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
"The Brightest Taillight on the Planet..."
the worst design on the planet.

It seems the Axiom light is only available for sale at that one website? Your design looks superb for quick release. What kind of mountings does the original light come with? The picture on their website doesn't show any, nor does it state.
Old 01-17-15, 11:44 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vol

It seems the Axiom light is only available for sale at that one website? Your design looks superb for quick release. What kind of mountings does the original light come with? The picture on their website doesn't show any, nor does it state.
FWIW, the light itself is very nice. The seatpost mount (basically identical between the Serfas and the Axiom) is the best seatpost mount I've ever seen. It's excellent.

Both of them have mounts for putting the light on a fabric strap, for instance on a backpack. Both of them completely suck rocks. A slight bump will cause either of them to just fly off and be lost. There's no retention at all.

On the Serfas it's a clip that snaps on. On the Axiom it's integrated but still horrible.

Yeah, the Axiom may only be available via Performance, it's probably a house brand. So for a few bucks, probably not worth it unless you're already ordering something. Back when I bought mine though, I had just lost my Serfas and they were still charging > $60 for that light.

I agree with the assessment though, anyone who has seen the Serfas/Axiom side by side with a Hotshot would not ever buy another Hotshot. They're basically the same price and the Serfas/Axiom is in all respects a better, brigher light with a better beam pattern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.