Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

St Louis area C&V ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

St Louis area C&V ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 12:33 AM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
St Louis area C&V ride

I would love to get some of the regional members, and anyone else who is interested, together for a short ride and lunch. It's always nice to put a face with a name and show off our bikes in person. Some folks have already expressed interest so let's make it official.

March 21 was the date I had mentioned in another thread so I'll stick with that. We will ride from Creve Coeur Lake Park to Trailhead Brewery on the Katy Trail. Total length will be 24.5 miles. We will meet in the parking lot of Creve Coeur Lakehouse around 9:45 and ride will leave at 10:15. The route will circle Creve Coeur Lake once on the way out, and again on the return to get our total mileage. I know this is a rather short ride for some, but for others it might be on the long side, in other words it's probably about just right for our purposes.

Who is in?

Disclosure: I am not overly familiar with the Creve Coeur Park, so if anyone knows a better place in the park to meet I am open to changing it. I do know that that parking lot has been mostly empty every time I have parked there, the lot is large, and the location is easy to put in a gps and get directions.
Old 02-09-15, 01:12 AM
buldogge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might be in...Hard to say that far in advance...depends on family plans/etc. Any ides on how many to expect???

-Mark

Originally Posted by acoffin
I would love to get some of the regional members, and anyone else who is interested, together for a short ride and lunch. It's always nice to put a face with a name and show off our bikes in person. Some folks have already expressed interest so let's make it official.

March 21 was the date I had mentioned in another thread so I'll stick with that. We will ride from Creve Coeur Lake Park to Trailhead Brewery on the Katy Trail. Total length will be 24.5 miles. We will meet in the parking lot of Creve Coeur Lakehouse around 9:45 and ride will leave at 10:15. The route will circle Creve Coeur Lake once on the way out, and again on the return to get our total mileage. I know this is a rather short ride for some, but for others it might be on the long side, in other words it's probably about just right for our purposes.

Who is in?

Disclosure: I am not overly familiar with the Creve Coeur Park, so if anyone knows a better place in the park to meet I am open to changing it. I do know that that parking lot has been mostly empty every time I have parked there, the lot is large, and the location is easy to put in a gps and get directions.
Old 02-09-15, 06:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've put it on my calender!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-09-15, 07:05 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I would love to do it, but I won't be able to on that date.
Old 02-09-15, 08:28 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 235 Posts
St. Louis is a bit far away from us (and we'll still be under 5ft of snow on Mar 21). But is sounds like fun. I like the "Trailhead Bewery part. I'd need a designated tandem captain for the run back though.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-09-15, 10:08 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I'm in. See you then.
Old 02-09-15, 10:25 AM
bumbles

Bikes: '02 Waterford RS-11 & 85' Colnago Superissimo, '99 LeMond Tourmalet, '97 Trek 470

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting in on this thread so I will remember! Did you post anything over at stlbiking?
Old 02-09-15, 11:48 AM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Originally Posted by buldogge
I might be in...Hard to say that far in advance...depends on family plans/etc. Any ides on how many to expect???

-Mark
There may have been 4 people interested when the subject was brought up in an unrelated thread. It will be interesting to see what kind of response this thread gets. Few or many, it will be a fun time either way.
Old 02-09-15, 11:55 AM
acoffin 

Originally Posted by bumbles
Getting in on this thread so I will remember! Did you post anything over at stlbiking?
I never think about that forum, maybe I should. It looks like they have done some updates since I last visited. You are welcome to post it there if you want. I have always thought of that as a race based forum, but if there are other types on there I look forward to meeting them.
Old 02-09-15, 02:48 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Depends on schedule for me

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-11-15, 08:09 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who is in?

That is a great starting point for rides. Lots of parking, and the lot has direct access to the path. It might be best to designate one end of the lot; if the weather is nice, there will be many groups heading out from there. My riding group meets up at the North end so if we have new people, or if riders don't know each other, they have a spot to check if this is the right group. I'm looking forward to the ride.
Old 03-10-15, 03:33 PM
acoffin 

-Mark
Originally Posted by CV-6
Depends on schedule for me
Mark, Lynn, hope you guys can make it. Ride is 11 days out.
Old 03-10-15, 03:42 PM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Remains to be seen...Saturdays are hard, with "family" stuff usually winning.

I wouldn't mind putting some faces to names...but...the 24 mile flat ride to St. Chuck isn't a huge draw IMHO...FWIW.

We'll see...

-Mark

Mark, Lynn, hope you guys can make it. Ride is 11 days out.
Old 03-10-15, 03:49 PM
acoffin 

Remains to be seen...Saturdays are hard, with "family" stuff usually winning.

I wouldn't mind putting some faces to names...but...the 24 mile flat ride to St. Chuck isn't a huge draw IMHO...FWIW.

We'll see...

-Mark
I totally understand. My hope was the easy ride might appeal to more people, we'll see. If the sun is out it will at least be a scenic ride.
Old 03-19-15, 07:22 PM
acoffin 

Looking forward to the ride on Saturday, should be perfect weather. I've sent PM's or emails to everyone who expressed interest. Let me know if you plan on being there.
Old 03-20-15, 06:33 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Too bad that I'm signed up for a 10K race over here in Illinois tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be good enough to ride.
Old 03-22-15, 01:03 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Ride report?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-22-15, 06:40 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Four riders total showed up. Once we figured out that *someone* parked on the opposite side of the lake, we grouped up and headed out. The day was made to order for a ride like this, and there was a lot of rider position shifting as folks yacked it up. Lunch was excellent, and the ride back in the sun was even better (warmer) than the ride to St. Charles. Creve Coeur park was a zoo - at least to someone not indoctrinated to city crowds. While the parking and access to the trail was very convenient, the best plan is to escape the park crowd ASAP. I invited my new riding buddies over to the IL side where no trails are needed to explore the miles of country roads (but extra gears can be a plus).

Maybe I'll meet you on the next go-around. :-)