Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Portland <-> Walla Walla Route Help

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 07:57 PM
2frmMI

Bikes: Erickson Signature, Paketa D2R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking about bringing a group of midwestern friends to ride from Portland to Walla Walla and back. Looking for route advice: everything from general ("You know it rains out here, right?") to very specific ("watch out for the gravel at mile nnn.nn"; "must get the poached eggs at ____"). Would prefer a plan that achieved 50-75 miles per day +/- (depending on terrain), so about 10-12 days RT? Have not decided if we will share duties in a SAG van or if we'll strictly credit-card tour. It will NOT be camping, however. Want to include wine tasting in Horse Heaven Hills and Walla Walla Valley (recs welcome), and would consider a side trip to Prosser since my high school buddy lives there.
-Is Highway 14 on the Washington side pleasant for bikes?
-Seems like some long stretches without likely motels…
-What about Highway 30 on the Oregon side? Map makes it look like sometimes you have to ride on I-84?
-How about looping up around Mt Hood on the return (always an optimist, thinking my flat-land legs will be better by the return…)?
A pointer to a published route description would be OK, too. We have the Lewis and Clark Trail map from Adventure Cycling, but think there might be good community wisdom out there.
Thanks for the help.
John
Old 03-02-15, 10:38 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2frmMI
Thinking about bringing a group of midwestern friends to ride from Portland to Walla Walla and back.
John
Whenever I'm looking at a route in an unfamiliar area, I do the same as for a familiar area, which is to repair to Strava Route, and turn on the Heat Map button. That shows what's the most popular.

I just did that for Portland to Walla Walla (having never been there and not the foggiest), here. This won't be what you'll do after all your research, but its certainly helps frame the discussion.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 03-02-15, 11:30 PM
reiker

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.4, "Francis" a 1979 Santana Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oregon's Cycling Resource - Ride Oregon Ride is Oregon's bike tourism website, it can be useful.

Highway 30, where it still exists, is pretty popular with bikes. Not much of a shoulder in places, but people are generally very aware of the cyclists on the road. There are also sections of the historic highway that are only open to bikes. There are sections where you would have to ride on 84, but it has very wide shoulders. Still not super pleasant.

Once you get past The Dalles, your civilization options will be very spaced out. I'm not sure if you'll be able to avoid camping (I haven't biked it, just driven the route for work).

Once you get past the Cascades, the climate changes and becomes high desert.

You might post in the PNW section and get more responses there.
Old 03-03-15, 10:49 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
When do you plan on going? In the summer, the winds scream up the Colombia River Gorge, so going west to east is easy. I remember coasting at 25+ mph for miles and miles. Where it exists, Hwy 30 is nice. On the Washington side, Hwy 14 is okay.

I would look for an alternative route, other than the river/gorge, for the return to Portland. You'll still most likely have headwinds, but not as severe.
Old 03-04-15, 09:16 PM
robmitchell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I would suggest the Cycle Oregon web site for older routes from prior years.
If you can not find anything listed you could try e-mailing them for a route suggestion.
They also have a forum where you could post the route and ask.
Always a fun week long ride in early September that changes every year.

Rob
Old 03-05-15, 06:23 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
Whenever I'm looking at a route in an unfamiliar area, I do the same as for a familiar area, which is to repair to Strava Route, and turn on the Heat Map button. That shows what's the most popular.

I just did that for Portland to Walla Walla (having never been there and not the foggiest), here. This won't be what you'll do after all your research, but its certainly helps frame the discussion.
Fully shamed, I will now learn how to use Strava. Thanks Ritterview.
Old 03-05-15, 06:29 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reiker
Once you get past the Cascades, the climate changes and becomes high desert.
Thanks Reiker. Although I live in the midwest, I grew up in Washington and went to college in Walla Walla back in the prior century, so have a pretty good idea about climate and general characteristics. I've never attempted this particular ride however and your tip regarding Oregon's bike tourism website should be quite useful. And I did not know that there was a PNW section at Bike Forums, so thanks for that tip, too. Thanks.
Old 03-05-15, 06:31 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
When do you plan on going? In the summer, the winds scream up the Colombia River Gorge, so going west to east is easy. I remember coasting at 25+ mph for miles and miles. Where it exists, Hwy 30 is nice. On the Washington side, Hwy 14 is okay.

I would look for an alternative route, other than the river/gorge, for the return to Portland. You'll still most likely have headwinds, but not as severe.
Hmmm. THAT is a good reminder. Will take wind into consideration. Thanks.
Old 03-05-15, 06:34 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robmitchell
Hi,
I would suggest the Cycle Oregon web site ...
Thanks Rob. Is that different from the site that Reiker mentioned: Oregon's Cycling Resourse? Well I can try both right now and answer my own question, but thanks anyway.
John
Old 03-05-15, 07:48 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reiker
You might post in the PNW section and get more responses there.
OK Reiker, you got me on this one. I must be an idiot. I can't find a "PNW section" here on bikeforums.net or at the Oregon Cycling Resource link you posted. Can you give me a more explicit pointer, or better yet, a link?
Thanks, John
Old 03-05-15, 08:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4866 Post(s)
Liked 4,019 Times in 2,611 Posts
Last year's Cycle Oregon spent days 1 and 2 riding from The Dalles north to Glenwood, WA at the base of Mt Adams and back the next day. Some very nice riding. I'd go to their website and look at the route. The old highway between Hood River and The Dalles is spectacular, high above the Columbia River. (Not flat! But it is God's country.)

I have only done the past 6 COs and only last year applies to your ride, but a call the their office might get you some sweet info on say roads between Portland and Hood River and east.

Ben
Old 03-05-15, 09:31 PM
reiker

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.4, "Francis" a 1979 Santana Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Reiker, you got me on this one. I must be an idiot. I can't find a "PNW section" here on bikeforums.net or at the Oregon Cycling Resource link you posted. Can you give me a more explicit pointer, or better yet, a link?
Thanks, John
No worries!

It's under Regional Discussions> Pacific Northwest:
Pacific Northwest
Old 03-05-15, 10:09 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
SR 14 westbound is beautiful because of the road, views of gorge, mountains, transition to forests. The gorge is all about wind (speed..direction...strength). 84 sucks, noisy freeway. Lots of trains both sides 24-7. Take ear plugs.
Old 03-06-15, 12:07 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fully shamed, I will now learn how to use Strava. Thanks Ritterview.

Uh, encouraged? Inspired?

And while you're at it, join Strava Tandems as a tandem team!

Strava Tandem Club
Old 03-06-15, 10:19 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Adding a link to the pot: Historic Columbia River Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding Gorge winds, the primary website used by kiters & windsurfers (I am the latter and have sailed in the Gorge) is iWindsurf. Gorge winds are created due to pressure differences between the cool ocean air and hot inland plains. The Gorge is an incredible wind tunnel, with summer winds frequently blowing 25-50mph. The prevailing summer wind is west to east, but there are times when it blows like hell from the east too. Also time of day plays a huge factor. For current winds and forecasts, see this link iWindsurf.com - OR- Columbia River Wind Data
Old 03-06-15, 02:49 PM
2frmMI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
Thanks Twocicle. That Wikipedia site is great! The iWindsurf site requires membership for useful function, it seems.