Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 02:14 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
If you're paying typical garage sale price, why does there need to be a decisiion as to which to keep? Why not keep them both?
Old 07-11-09, 02:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
If you're paying typical garage sale price, why does there need to be a decisiion as to which to keep? Why not keep them both?
My deal with my wife is to only keep one of each type. That way, I do not have a garage full of keepers. I have bent this rule on a couple of bikes.

But it really has helped keep the fleet to a manageable level.
Old 07-11-09, 02:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
It has been a good week...

Sold a good amount of stuff at the gear swap this am and picked up a few goodies for myself...

I love it when I find boxes like this...

... and they still contain their original parts and not what they replaced.

Thios bb is as smooth as butter on glass.

I also scored a like new Araya 700c red label laced to a buttery smooth Suzue hub.. and have another rim just like this to lace up to a track hub which will make for a very nice set of vintage road wheels.

Old 07-11-09, 03:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
PS - I paid far less than $108.00 for the Superbe bottom bracket... that was some pretty expensive kit in it's day.
Old 07-11-09, 05:18 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My deal with my wife is to only keep one of each type. That way, I do not have a garage full of keepers. I have bent this rule on a couple of bikes.

But it really has helped keep the fleet to a manageable level.
That sounds like a great arrangement... but who gets to define what a "type" is and how many "types" there are? In my fleet, a different COLOR qualifies as a different type!
Old 07-11-09, 05:57 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by Ivandarken
That sounds like a great arrangement... but who gets to define what a "type" is and how many "types" there are? In my fleet, a different COLOR qualifies as a different type!
I keep redefining "type". I started with road bike and mountain bike. Then touring bike, road bike, and mountain bike. Then road bike triple, road bike double, touring bike and mountain bike (there are a lot of hills around here). Then classic road bike, modern road bike, ..... Then there is the vacation home, I have to have a bike or two there as well....
Old 07-11-09, 07:21 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
More bikes please!

You know I've never heard of Eaton's or Gliders but it started with the eaton's road king then many Gliders. well look. yet another one. but it's a 3 speed and it's red! also a single speed and another 3 speed. whats that odd rack thing?

Old 07-11-09, 09:14 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I slipped through the demilitarized zone (Toledo) yesterday to go visit the Ann Arbor gang in the great blue north. Got to hang out with Old Fat Guy, and Mrs. OFG, redxj, and finally got to meet Roadfan.

Brought home a few of the incredible finds that OFG and redxj seem to have an uncanny ability to uncover, including on of my personal "Grails" a very early 60's Raleigh Gran Sport, and a second Bobet!

The Bobet is a real time capsule.

The Raleigh is original and complete, but in pieces.

Old 07-11-09, 10:16 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Not really sure what to do with it now, the test ride indicated that it needs a new shifter (s), derailer, and chain. Solid, nice ride besides that. Might sell it because the frame is more suited for a fixie than anything.
Old 07-12-09, 08:22 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"the frame is more suited for a fixie than anything"

What does that even mean?
Old 07-12-09, 09:10 AM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets

horizontal dropouts?
That's funny because my fixie is a Nishiki (62-64 cm?) too
Old 07-12-09, 10:07 AM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went dumpster diving at the lbs last night (old habits die hard) and found some 8 speed shimano sti shifters (105 or 600 i think, the cover caps are both missing!). When I got them home I saw they werent working of course, I could tell the factory lubing had its day in the sun so after a good WD40 injection and soak time they seem to be working a-ok now. I had a set before that I sold and always kinda regretted selling them so kinda neat to get a set again.. though these ones have white colored hoods which I don't really like too much, but whatever. Perhaps I will build a new commuter up and use them.
Old 07-12-09, 10:49 AM
infinityeye
Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
Went dumpster diving at the lbs last night (old habits die hard) and found some 8 speed shimano sti shifters (105 or 600 i think, the cover caps are both missing!). When I got them home I saw they werent working of course, I could tell the factory lubing had its day in the sun so after a good WD40 injection and soak time they seem to be working a-ok now. I had a set before that I sold and always kinda regretted selling them so kinda neat to get a set again.. though these ones have white colored hoods which I don't really like too much, but whatever. Perhaps I will build a new commuter up and use them.
Peel up the hoods. The part number will be under there.
10xx is 105
64xx is 600
Old 07-12-09, 11:07 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sold a few dragged a couple home. The wife's Mixte found a loving home with a a girl that was just thrilled with it. I didn't even advertise it. She was asking about the trek (forgot to list the size and it was too big) and told her about the Mixte my wife said to sell (she for some reason doesnt feel she needs 4 bikes). Sent her a link to Sheldon's site she is digging through it and really excited about getting back into riding.
Sold the Trek 500 to a gentleman that again was getting back into riding and upgrading from a Hybrid to a road.
Sold the Raleigh Technium to a Gentleman that is also getting back int riding and already logged nearly 100 miles on the Silver Comet if he got the ride he was telling me about. Put a set of Vittoria's on it.

Very please with the new owners I had on those 3.

Picked up a 63cm Puch that looks to be early 80's. Says the frame was made by Araya. It is hurting. Somebody put a set of straight bars on it mismatched brake levers. Cranks are old SR's where the chain guard was the support of the gears. The 42 gear was missing the correct bolts and somebody put some junk on it wallowing out the holes. A 70's non functioning Schwinn RD (I believe it had a Suntour ARX originaly). Wheels are actually in good shape. No dents in the frame. I hate this but I think this will be the first single speed hipster I build. I don't have the heart to scrap the frame. There is enough there that a BMX cog and set of brake levers would get it on the road. I'll put some really insanely high price on it like the guy in town and see how it sells. Picture is after I started pulling it apart.

Saturday I was yard sale hopping. Bought a Paslode Pneumatic framing gun for $5 and after a little clean up and adjusting it woks just fine. Guess I need to build the storage shed now. I also scored two BMX bikes for $8 for the pair that I was going to rob the BMX cog off the one and the brake handles off the other for the Puch. The black one is a Mosh Method 1. I may have to clean it up and flip it. Looks like it has market value. Other then being left in the weather it is in surprisingly good condition.

Today I rode the inaugural 400 Century https://400century.com/ They actually shut down GA 400 a major multi lane hwy that connects North GA to down town Atlanta and let 1500 of us ride about 3 miles down it. That was a ball!

On the way home I almost caused a multi car wreck when I slammed on the brakes after spying a vintage bike at the curb with the trash. I need to figure out the build date but I guess mid 70's. It is a 60cm Raleigh Grand Prix with cottered cranks. It looks awful. I have no idea where it was sitting but it has the nasty coating of grunge that is resistant to brake cleaner. The paint is in really good shape under that grunge. Missing the seat and post (bet it was a brooks or something like that) but that Pacific will donate the post and I have a decent vintage seat I can put on it. Rims are not bad shape. Very rust free. It will clean up nice. The Simplex RD is hurting though. Cage is bent (I think I cane straighten it) and the Jockey wheels broken (but I have some). The Plastic body is good shape if I can straighten the cage.

Last edited by Grim; 07-12-09 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 12:30 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't resist...sorry.
I found it in the alley behind my neighbor's house. I find a lot of these - nothing too classy yet.
this bike really cracks me up though - EVERYTHING is pink - its like barbie exploded
the rims are pink, the brake calipers are pink, the inside of the tires is pink...
Old 07-12-09, 02:39 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets

No braze ons or derailer hanger, wrecked drivetrain, lower-end but still fairly nice frame.
Old 07-12-09, 02:59 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infinityeye
Peel up the hoods. The part number will be under there.
10xx is 105
64xx is 600
Cool thanks for that info.. 600 they are!
Old 07-12-09, 03:50 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I think I know what happened to your Grand Prix: (I am a psychic forensic cyclist)

So, Bubba-Joe, who was an excellent cyclist back in the mid 70's had gone off to college, married young, and had a few kids. The Grand Prix was stored underneath the main part of the barn below where the rider mower and old Pontiac were kept. The combination of dust and grass and oil sprinkled over the frame through the cracks in the old wide boards and over time hardened into a compressed epoxy-like coating.

Bubba-Joe, the kids long since gone, looks at his wife, Fannie-Anne, and says: "Darlin', I gots to find that there ol' bi-C-cal I rode when we was a' courtin'.

"Don't be daft BJ" she replied, "yer too ol' yerself, an' sides... yer fatter than a pregnant coon!"

"Now don't let's start Fannie! I'm settin on takin' that bike out and randonneeeeerin'.

Well, Bubba-Joe started to the back of the barn and, moving away decades of old tires and steel drums and cast away "Ron-co" products, passing by boxes of carefully packed Precious Moments figurines and Beenie Babies that were put away for safe keeping until they sold on ebay for their retirement--- Bubba spied his old faithful Raleigh Grand Prix bi-C-cal. It was there leaned up against batts of unused insulation and shone dully in the dust-speckled ribbons of sunlight that squeezed through the uneven boards.

"Ther's my baby" Bubba thought to himself.

And with that, Bubba drugged the machine out to the gravel drive. Using a lawn ornament for support, and using his other hand to lift his pudgy leg over the top tube, Bubba straddled her for the first time since Disco.

Feeling encouraged, Bubba-Joe spun the cranks to a good starting position, and with the confidence of a man with a shotgun, he jumped up upon the saddle and... CRACK!!

The seat post broke clean off and the force of the impact sent both feet onto both pedals at once. Bubba's 400lb frame was no match for mid level components, and the cottered cranks failed immediately and completely.

Fannie-Anne was watching from the Kitchen window, and saw Bubba-Joe roll himself and his pride off the gravel drive, brushing off numerous stones imbedded in his soft flesh. Outraged, Bubba threw what remained of the broken saddle and post and it landed square into the pond, sending geese and frogs in all directions. As the large, defeated man wheeled his youth down the drive and to the curb, to be discarded with all the other items that were no longer relevant, Fannie-Anne, watching from the kitchen window, started a stew.
Old 07-12-09, 04:03 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken

I think I know what happened to your Grand Prix: (I am a psychic forensic cyclist)

So, Bubba-Joe, who was an excellent cyclist back in the mid 70's had gone off to college, married young, and had a few kids. The Grand Prix was stored underneath the main part of the barn below where the rider mower and old Pontiac were kept. The combination of dust and grass and oil sprinkled over the frame through the cracks in the old wide boards and over time hardened into a compressed epoxy-like coating.

Bubba-Joe, the kids long since gone, looks at his wife, Fannie-Anne, and says: "Darlin', I gots to find that there ol' bi-C-cal I rode when we was a' courtin'.

"Don't be daft BJ" she replied, "yer too ol' yerself, an' sides... yer fatter than a pregnant coon!"

"Now don't let's start Fannie! I'm settin on takin' that bike out and randonneeeeerin'.

Well, Bubba-Joe started to the back of the barn and, moving away decades of old tires and steel drums and cast away "Ron-co" products, passing by boxes of carefully packed Precious Moments figurines and Beenie Babies that were put away for safe keeping until they sold on ebay for their retirement--- Bubba spied his old faithful Raleigh Grand Prix bi-C-cal. It was there leaned up against batts of unused insulation and shone dully in the dust-speckled ribbons of sunlight that squeezed through the uneven boards.

"Ther's my baby" Bubba thought to himself.

And with that, Bubba drugged the machine out to the gravel drive. Using a lawn ornament for support, and using his other hand to lift his pudgy leg over the top tube, Bubba straddled her for the first time since Disco.

Feeling encouraged, Bubba-Joe spun the cranks to a good starting position, and with the confidence of a man with a shotgun, he jumped up upon the saddle and... CRACK!!

The seat post broke clean off and the force of the impact sent both feet onto both pedals at once. Bubba's 400lb frame was no match for mid level components, and the cottered cranks failed immediately and completely.

Fannie-Anne was watching from the Kitchen window, and saw Bubba-Joe roll himself and his pride off the gravel drive, brushing off numerous stones imbedded in his soft flesh. Outraged, Bubba threw what remained of the broken saddle and post and it landed square into the pond, sending geese and frogs in all directions. As the large, defeated man wheeled his youth down the drive and to the curb, to be discarded with all the other items that were no longer relevant, Fannie-Anne, watching from the kitchen window, started a stew.
Thats very creative.

But Grand Prix's are the Chuck Norris of old steel. If Bubba had left the tools alone, he would have been fine.
Old 07-12-09, 04:18 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguy
Final selling price: $250.

Man oh man oh man! Sometimes I hate checking this thread, I get green with envy!
Old 07-12-09, 05:08 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K8drums

I couldn't resist...sorry.
I found it in the alley behind my neighbor's house. I find a lot of these - nothing too classy yet.
this bike really cracks me up though - EVERYTHING is pink - its like barbie exploded
the rims are pink, the brake calipers are pink, the inside of the tires is pink...
i picked up a similar dora the explorer bike—flipped the stem and fork around, made myself a tiny upside-down bike.
Old 07-12-09, 05:18 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Schwinn World Sport

I added the Cyclone RD as I have a box full of them now and the old AR was trashed. New cables, bar tape, chain, switched to aero levers and voila!
Old 07-12-09, 05:23 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nishiki Modulus SRT

This one got Cyclone derailleurs, front and rear. Also, new bar tape, chain, and cables. I upgraded the brakes to RX100 dual pivots, added a Shimano 600 Tricolor crank (with a little polish action ) and voila!
Old 07-12-09, 06:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Nice job on the World Sport and the Nishiki!
Old 07-12-09, 10:44 PM
Nighteyez

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto, they both look great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.