Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Gios came in the mail...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 09:39 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mother's good friend, who has been an avid cyclist his entire life, has become more and more ill in the past few years and has been forced to stay off of his bicycles...

A while ago, for my birthday, he sent me some old retro style jersey's and some other cycling gear... He also had mentioned that he has a bicycle that he would want me to have if he didnt end up riding again. Its exactly my size and even moreso a fit because of the shortness in the top tube... I have long legs and a short torso...

Im saddened by the circumstances, but truly honored and elated to have been given such a beautiful bicycle ( one that would fit into my even most extensive fantasies).

He told me he had bought the frame from a friend of his, then sent it to Gios for repainting. Then built it up with NOS 8speed Dura Ace with Isidis tubulars and never rode it once.

Here are some pictures of the process and the build, so far. Sorry for how terrible they are, cause unlike the bicycle, the camera is a total POS.

All of my Mom's little knick knacks and treasures are kind of distracting, but they are also pretty cool. : )

Until I buy some Tubular tire cement progress will be at a halt, which shouldnt be long because I am already just dying to get on this thing.

Needles to say I am extremely happy, alot to think about and appreciate. : )
Old 12-18-09, 09:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
Goodness, that's a heck of a gift. Do whatever you can for this man.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-09, 10:05 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beautiful bike. You will remember your friend every time you ride it.
Old 12-18-09, 10:10 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Honor your buddy by riding the heck out of that bike.
Old 12-18-09, 10:18 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story and bike.

Jake
Old 12-18-09, 10:34 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Look at the 'container' it came in!!
Old 12-18-09, 10:42 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
What a nice gift!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 12-18-09, 10:56 PM
Holokai
Mung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous! You'll need to send him some shots of you around town on it.
Old 12-18-09, 11:09 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
It sounds like Santa came early over there Enjoy it, appreciate what you got, give kudos to the one who gave it to you and follow his example...

Great bike, ride it hard!
Old 12-19-09, 03:14 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy effin' crap! That's a sweet deal. Take care of it, but most of all, ride it.
Old 12-19-09, 08:56 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,574 Posts
that was very nice of your friend. I certainly hope he recovers and demands this back from you. in the mean time enjoy your friends fabulous gift.

yes that is the best packaging job I hve seen for the mail

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-19-09, 09:17 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I'm so happy for you! I really felt bad when the Grandis deal fell through all those months ago. So much so that I didn't dare post other Grandis photos. Now I can post photos of my recently assembled Grandis without feeling bad about it ;-) (I still have a second Grandis frame still to build up)
Old 12-19-09, 10:06 AM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes, this bicycle is definitely getting ridden as soon as the glue dries...I'm going to be a nervous wreck about chipping the paint though, haha .

Bianchigirll- He is a die-hard packager, the top photo is only after I pulled out enough foam to fill a gymnastics pit, on top of the frame and forks being held down by quick release mechanisms inside the box. He also sent the wheelset, bars and seatpin / saddle in a completely separate box. I gladly and willingly paid shipping, it was the least I could do.

Citoyen- Its funny you should mention the Grandis... Its hard not to believe that everything happens the way it does for a good reason, in this case things just seem to have fallen full circle. Dont worry about me, post pics of your beautiful Grandis'!

There will be more pictures when the tubulars are ready and the brake cables routed, and when I go on the first ride Ill post it up in "Where did you ride today."

Thanks everyone, for appreciating and sharing this with me.
Old 02-03-10, 01:50 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the last few weeks of rain here in California I have had the time to get the Gios dialed and ready to roll...

There was a break in wetness for a few days, I got in about 100 miles on her before it started up again. I wanted to take my camera but seemed to forget to grab it before each ride this week, too bad really because the clouds and light were beautiful... The green grass out on the countryside this time of year is really something else also.

The ride is really quite amazing, swift and reactive. The short top tube really does me all kinds of favors. The gearing could be a little friendlier on the climbs around here, which sometimes reach 20% grade, But I am young so there is no problem with that extra kick in the ass up the hill... On the way down is another story, this thing goes FAST.

Other then that it is by far the most fitting and comfortable bicycle I have ridden to date. I'm looking lavishly forward to a long and healthy relationship.

*THANKS EVERYONE*

Last edited by Dyermaker; 02-03-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 02:22 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 963 Posts
Stunning, to say the least. Though the circumstances are less than one would hope for, at least this lovely old bicycle was passed on to a good home.
Old 02-03-10, 02:39 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wow.

I'd wager a bet that it brings the greatest joy to that gentleman to know that the bike has gone to someone who will appreciate it, care for it, and honor it. I'd also wager that he'd really like to see it all built up and in riding condition....even if he can't ride it.
Old 02-03-10, 02:47 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the conditions of me getting this are extremely sad, and personal as well. The whole story will not be given out of respect. He is a really great guy, but I will say that being talented and successful and having all the nicest things in life wont make you healthy or happy necessarily...especially in the long run.

I am so grateful, for this and everything I have...Bicycles are great for that, but it is always easy to forget such happy feelings and get lost in the sadness of the world, or the loss of people you love.

Last edited by Dyermaker; 02-03-10 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 03:01 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
That bike is beautiful, I'm sure you'll do what you can for your moms friend. Be ride the bike like the classic that it is and clean her up after every ride! not only will it keep the bike in tip top but it will help honor not only the bike but the kind man that gave it to you.
I truly hope your moms bud has a full recovery. =0)
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 02-03-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 03:10 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyermaker

All of my Mom's little knick knacks and treasures are kind of distracting, but they are also pretty cool. : )

What knick knacks? I can't see them, that bike is in the way and too distracting.

Man, that's not the best way to get a bike, but it's also cool. The guy wanted it to go to someone who would ride it and take care of it. Remember to do both... it's a beauty, in more ways than one.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-03-10, 03:28 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ohhh my... Dyer, bittersweet moment, but I'm sure he'd want someone to ride the heck outta that thing. So prettyyyyy
Old 02-03-10, 08:36 PM
RhodeRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that is a gorgeous bike. Suddenly my centurion build leaves something to be desired....
Old 02-03-10, 09:17 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That is truly a treasure! Don't EVER sell it. Whatever you do. To do so would not honor the man that gave you this treasure. And for him to give it to you, means that he is a man among men.... we, lesser mortals.
Old 02-04-10, 12:26 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
Don't EVER sell it. Whatever you do.
I wouldnt dream of it...

I am hoping that both me and this bicycle make it long enough to enjoy to the fullest extents, then pass on to another deserving young person... Who knows, maybe Ill have a son by then.
Old 02-04-10, 12:32 PM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyermaker
..... maybe Ill have a son by then.
Make it your duty... to paraphrase one of those fancy watch adverts: "You never truly own a [GIOS], you merely look after it for the next generation."
Old 02-04-10, 12:33 PM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Good stuff. That old Dura Ace is light and precise shifting. Don't forget to go inside and repack the hubs. The old grease is likely a little dry. Go for the Phil grease...she deserves the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.