Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 10:13 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 74 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsjr
We're way past the first time she notices the additions. I just man'ed up, brought them in, and let her know who was boss!
Then I promised to get rid of some.
Yep. We all know how the game is played.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-20-11, 10:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsjr
We're way past the first time she notices the additions. I just man'ed up, brought them in, and let her know who was boss!
Then I promised to get rid of some.

Here's pics, the World Tourist isn't much, but the Houdaille has some very strange components.
Does it have a Suntour AG derailleur ?
Old 04-20-11, 11:02 PM
ecsjr

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yes the World Tourist has a freewheel crank....that was a mind bender when i saw that....thought the bottom bracket was broken. Very interesting set up, cassette is fixed,,,,crank is freewheel. Cables are toast, so I have to work on it. And i think the cables are special to it.

The Houdaille is another strange one. The crank arms don't stay engaged with the front sprocket all the way around their rotation. There is like a dead spot through the rotation. I haven't ridden it yet, but it feels strange just turning the pedals on the bike stand. A huge 60 tooth sprocket, and a big step between the 2nd and 3rd sprocket on the freewheel. I think it was trying to fix the dead part of the pedal stroke, but it seems that clip on pedals were the better solution. I will try it once i get the tires and tubes replaced. That's really the only thing it needs besides clean/grease.

Yes, it is Suntour AG. ( i couldn't figure out what letters they were until you said that)
Old 04-20-11, 11:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The AG is one of the few freewheels ever made that could handle such a wide gear range... AG stands for Alpine Gear.
Old 04-21-11, 04:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I was picking through the various bins at the co-op today and came across a few shiny bits... the only piece I could not find was the hangar bolt for the derailleur which seems rather nice as it is pretty light. That Winner freewheel was threaded on to the unlaced hub and I thought the worst but it wasn't even hand tight and it is missing a spacer.

I love Campy pedals and the clips are L which is just right... and found a few other bits like the 7 and 8 hole Sunshine hubs and some random shifters.

And just when you think your day can't get any better you find that someone left you some spacers for a Suntour freewheel, among other things.

Old 04-21-11, 04:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

It has been a very good week...
Old 04-21-11, 05:06 PM
s34s0ns
whether man

Bikes: 197(?) Maserati MT-(?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I have yet to have seen a city where there were not deals to be found. In some towns, there are a lot more people looking, so the deals don't last long, but they are out there. When we take a vacation by car, I always carry a bike rack along. Every time I return, I come back stuffed with bike stuff. Last trip to Chicago, lets see: two bikes worth of nine speed DA components, trainer, Fuji Club, misc pedals, saddles, Tiagra STI, riding jerseys, Paramount jacket, machinist tool chest full of high end calipers.micrometers, etc., and so on. One of these times, I won't find stuff on a trip I am sure.
what's your strategy for looking? ...do you look on craigslist for each area you drive through? or just look out for local garage sales etc.?

I'm taking a road trip up north soon and hopefully I can get some deals.
Old 04-21-11, 07:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by s34s0ns
what's your strategy for looking? ...do you look on craigslist for each area you drive through? or just look out for local garage sales etc.?

I'm taking a road trip up north soon and hopefully I can get some deals.
Craigs List garage sales on the fly, ebay auctions along the route that end by the time I am on the road so I can do a quick local pickup along the way, C/L bikes for towns I am passing near (I define near pretty broadly) both ways, thrift stores along the way, and at the destination (mark the best ones on the GPS so I can find them quickly on future trips), etc. My wife has a Verizon card on her computer, so she is looking stuff up while I am driving. I never forget her scanning Indianapolis garage sales and seeing one that had TWO Merlin Titanium bikes for sale, at a garage sale.... WTF?? I hit that one, the bikes were a good deal, but the crate of spare components was an even better deal, so I bought that instead. Realize that garage sales patterns and timing vary by area, so in certain areas, they may only be on Saturdays, while in other areas, they can be Fridays, Thursdays, etc.

If you are just looking at C/L (and the bicycles for sale section), you really are only scratching the surface and are looking in an area where competition is fierce, and great deals only last nanoseconds. Its a phrase I hate, but it really works here, to score deals, you really have to think outside the box.
Old 04-21-11, 07:32 PM
JReade

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you have an android powered smart phone, you can get an app that scans cl with x search criteria and notify when new stuff gets posted. It can search all sorts of regions etc.
Old 04-21-11, 07:40 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not vintage in the least, but I've been kicking around the idea of a legit cyclecross bike, and this is what fell into my lap for a very attractive price. Aluminum frame and CF fork, but it's unique, which is what I like. It also has a real head badge and not a sticker. It's currently set up on a flip flop hub and I intend on eventually adding gears of some sort...either internal or conventional.

So yeah, here is my Van Dessel Country Road Bob

Old 04-21-11, 08:00 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
$30 Craigslist find:

Super nice guy selling it. Had a nice chat. Wonderful way to spend a morning.
Old 04-21-11, 09:28 PM
s34s0ns
whether man

Bikes: 197(?) Maserati MT-(?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigs List garage sales on the fly, ebay auctions along the route that end by the time I am on the road so I can do a quick local pickup along the way, C/L bikes for towns I am passing near (I define near pretty broadly) both ways, thrift stores along the way, and at the destination (mark the best ones on the GPS so I can find them quickly on future trips), etc. My wife has a Verizon card on her computer, so she is looking stuff up while I am driving. I never forget her scanning Indianapolis garage sales and seeing one that had TWO Merlin Titanium bikes for sale, at a garage sale.... WTF?? I hit that one, the bikes were a good deal, but the crate of spare components was an even better deal, so I bought that instead. Realize that garage sales patterns and timing vary by area, so in certain areas, they may only be on Saturdays, while in other areas, they can be Fridays, Thursdays, etc.

If you are just looking at C/L (and the bicycles for sale section), you really are only scratching the surface and are looking in an area where competition is fierce, and great deals only last nanoseconds. Its a phrase I hate, but it really works here, to score deals, you really have to think outside the box.
Thanks for the tips man, luckily my trip will be saturday/sunday on the drive up and the next saturday / sunday on the way back.

I should be in luck.

And my GF has an Iphone, any good craigslist scanning apps for that?
Old 04-21-11, 09:50 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I love the way you think. I am also am always looking outside the box in my regional area, but have also found deals on CL or ebay that were even worth the shipping. Also since I have a niche and fondness for folding bikes and have a decent bit of biz travel, I have bought at 4-6 bikes from CL and brought them back in suitcases as checked luggage on planes. Once I even went to Salvation Army to and bought a old school large suitcase to bring a newer Dahon back. I cleared over $300 in parts in resale on that purchase. You never know where the next deal is going to be. The fun is in the hunt!!!!
Old 04-22-11, 03:16 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out the toy I bought today to play with and then RE-Cycle for profit.
It's a Miele "Last Call" limo stretch low rider.
Just in time for the Savannah Bicycle Campaign Earth Day Wheelie around town tomorrow.
7.5 feet long and 3 feet of chain from crank to axle.

Last edited by kingfish254; 04-22-11 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 08:06 PM
melonbar123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An Avocet RII apparently owned by Della Santa. Always been a fan of the R1 saddles.
Old 04-22-11, 08:27 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
roll low and slow!

Originally Posted by kingfish254
Check out the toy I bought today to play with and then RE-Cycle for profit.
It's a Miele "Last Call" limo stretch low rider.
Just in time for the Savannah Bicycle Campaign Earth Day Wheelie around town tomorrow.
7.5 feet long and 3 feet of chain from crank to axle.

Old 04-23-11, 06:17 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Accompanied my wife to Goodwill, 50% off day today. I got there 30 seconds too late to grab a late model Schwinn MTB with speedometer. In great shape too. Little boy had it and asked if his mother would buy it. I was waiting for a NO! But he got it. Oh well, at least it made a kid happy.

I settled for these....

they were tucked away behind some golf clubs. $1.50 for new Freddy Fenders by Planet Bike! Consolation prize.
Old 04-23-11, 06:44 PM
Roger M 
Banned.

Liked 2,445 Times in 646 Posts
1990 in pretty remarkable shape.

Old 04-23-11, 09:42 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
A follow-up to my "You know you've got a reputation . . . . " thread from about a month ago. This is the Schwinn CrissCross that the guy mentioned was still sitting at the dump. While complete, it was an absolute filthy mess, and I probably spent more time cleaning parts than doing anything else. It's SunTour indexed shift, and the left shift pod was packed completely with the efforts of some kind of mud dauber wasp.

Since this frame fits me properly it's going to be my lunchtime commuter and kept at the office, replacing the slightly small AMF Hercules 3-speed that I've been using for the past year. Had it out for a 25 mile break-in ride this morning (finished the bike last night), and it's going to be an improvement over the 3-speed. The rides back from my wife's nursing home are going to be a lot easier. I do have to admit that first impressions of the SunTour index setup strikes me as being inferior to 7-speed Shimano, and the drivetrain may be replaced over this coming winter. Otherwise, first impressions of the bike are very good.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-23-11, 09:43 PM
ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda figured my mostly-original 1981 Stumpjumper "prototype" would be the crown jewel of my stable. Not so.

This is what I bought today from a guy in the next neighborhood over. It's even my size (60cm). I'm torn between building it up and having the coolest ride in the city, or mounting it above my fireplace mantle because it's a work of art.

Pre-serial number Tom Ritchey road frame. At one point, the previous owner had the frame restored with the correct paint type and color and had a couple of extras brazed on.

Repro "Palo Alto era" decals which in my opinion are not correct, but they are as close as you get if you have an early Ritchey.

Clamp on stem of Tom's design.

Ovalized seat tube.

Campy aero seatpost.

"Park bench" chain stay brace.

I'm not very into road bikes, but this frame has such a strong connection with MTB history, I'm in love with it.
Old 04-23-11, 11:02 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

This Ritchey is outstanding. You should post its own thread and highlight it with high res photos. The details are awesome.
Old 04-23-11, 11:21 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somehow everyone missed a Raleigh Grand Sports today on Craiglist with Dura Ace deraileurs and Stronglight cranks... must have been the stem shifters that threw everyone off.

Old 04-24-11, 02:59 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

most excited about this catch.. i got this mid 80s Diamondback Apex mtb frame for $15.. still deciding if i want the biopace triple crankset, blackburn rack and bottle holder for $25 more (lol jk, i decided i want em). the frame's been sitting at my LBS for a few weeks now.. I asked him about it today and he's all you can have it for whatever you want to pay.. i was like, uh $20, and he's like well you can have just the frame for $15 but i want the other stuff unless you want to pay more.. he even trusted me to take the frame home and remove the stuff myself.. course now that it's home i dont wanna remove anything
Old 04-24-11, 03:04 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

frantik... Looks like a pretty nice frame with great tubing and and some nice touches like the spoke holder on the chain stay... is there a chain hangar on the inside of the seat stay on the drive side as well ?

Looks like a great frame to build up a very decent commuter or a very nice touring / expedition bike.
Old 04-24-11, 03:15 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

yes it does have the chain hanger .. here's a pic of one that's built up

and i plan on making it in into some kind of city cruiser hybrid.. might put drop bars on, not sure what kind of handle bars i will use

Last edited by frantik; 04-24-11 at 03:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.