Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why do Simplex derailleurs have such a bad rep??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why do Simplex derailleurs have such a bad rep??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 04:42 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by :andrew
I didn't mean to start a derailleur war, but I feel like crap is a bit strong as well. I can understand why some may say to upgrade, but I just do not see the need to trash a derailleur that can potentially shift well after proper adjustment.
I agree. Besides, I don't want a Sun Tour on my French bike, even though the VGT was a superior derailleur. I really should get a LJ 5000 for it, but can't afford one.
Old 04-21-11, 04:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I agree. Besides, I don't want a Sun Tour on my French bike, even though the VGT was a superior derailleur. I really should get a LJ 5000 for it, but can't afford one.
The last UO8 I built up got a Huret Svelto initially and then, because I wanted better range, went with Suntour.
Old 04-21-11, 04:46 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's wrong with an Huret Alvit? They shift almost as nicely.
Old 04-21-11, 04:53 PM
rootboy 

Huret won't fit on my dropout. Alvit ? Talk about a piece-O-junk! ...heh heh...
Old 04-21-11, 04:56 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Because its well deserved?
Well deserved on the plastic ones. They went one step too far to cheapen up their product. Other derailleurs from that era were so much better, even the low end ones. Many of us who grew up in that era had them crack, self destruct, or whatever. I did, and I would not touch one.
Old 04-21-11, 05:02 PM
:andrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I admit when I put this bike together I was hesitant to buy a new Simplex RD after hearing people say they are trash on here. However, I decided that I would like to keep the bike original or at least French, and if it is meant to have an inferior derailleur so be it. With that being said though, if it explodes then I will probably use something else. I have several Huret derailleurs laying around and a Suntor VGT.
Old 04-21-11, 05:38 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
The "hate" for Simplex plastic DRs is just a form of self deprecation from Francophile C&Vers. It's could also be feeble attempts to exude the same attitude they saw in great French cyclists whom nothing seemed to be good enough.
I bet that despite the regular demonstration of pure hatred in this forum the black plastic,........deep inside the minds and hearts is the gigantic urge to name their first born son,..........."Delrin".

Chombeau.........

Last edited by Chombi; 04-21-11 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-21-11, 05:46 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Chombi
The "hate" for Simplex plastic DRs is just a form of self deprecation from Francophile C&Vers. It's could also be feeble attempts to exude the same attitude they saw in great French cyclists whom nothing seemed to be good enough.
I bet that despite the regular demonstration of pure hatred in this forum of their hate for the black plastic,........deep inside the minds and hearts is the gigantic urge to name their first born son,..........."Delrin".

Chombeau.........
.....hee hee hee. I wonder if you'd receive a "cease and desist" order from Dupont once they found out your son's name. Delrin. Kinda has a nice ring to it. Sounds better than "Alloy".
Old 04-21-11, 05:53 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am totally naming my next cat Delrin.
Or maybe my next Llama
Old 04-21-11, 05:54 PM
rootboy 

These Simplex/Crappola threads can be tiresome and I certainly don't want to find myself in the position of defending those goofy plastic derailleurs. I guess in the grand scheme of things derailleur, they weren't much good, to be sure. But I find this strident animosity strange. But, that's what opinions are for I guess. One of the first upgrades I did when I bought my PX-10 in 1971 was put a Campy NR on it. Would I rather be shifting my Nuovo Records? I guess. But I ride my French bike with the cheesy plastic derailleurs and have just as much fun. Almost.

Last edited by rootboy; 04-21-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-21-11, 06:12 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Lucien Juy bomber, soon to be tickin'
NOS SLJ Prestige Delrin plastique in CycloTourisme fashion.
Wouldn't dare to drop the tandem on 'em.
Can't wait to spread these gears!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jack Taylor spread 031.jpg (100.7 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg
Jack Taylor spread 030.jpg (100.8 KB, 415 views)
Old 04-21-11, 06:15 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Some people dislike them because:
- they're plastic
- they're French
- they break.

I do not deny any of these things - but I like them anyway.

- The RD's shift well -(not as good as a Vx or Duopar, but better than most.)
- The jockey wheels like to crack, but are replaced easily. (I believe I have used Suntour wheels in the past, IIRC.)
- The US-spec plastic Prestige shifters are pretty awful. I think much of the hate actually comes from these. (I probably wouldn't think much of a Cyclone either, if it was mated with these shifters.)

PS - The earlier comment on using Triflo to inhibit UV degeneration of the FD sounds good, but I think many are already too far gone.

Last edited by auchencrow; 04-21-11 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-11, 06:27 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
The Alvit is a hideous piece of work.

This on the other hand...

Old 04-21-11, 06:34 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
That is exquisite. I'd sleep with it every night underneath my pillow and reinstall it every morning for the ride.
Old 04-21-11, 06:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by zac
+10000, you stole the words out of my mouth. They were pure low end garbage, nothing nostalgic nor francophobic about it...they sucked pure and simple.
Simplex made a whole range of derailleurs, but the ones people in North America are most familiar with are the Delrin-bodied "Prestige" units. When new, these worked extremely well when paired with decent shifters. Unfortunately, most of them came of low-end bike-boom bikes and had Simplex's plastic shifters as well. These shifters were too flexible for precise shifts.

Over time, the plastic in the derailleur bodies would become brittle, and road grit would erode the pivots causing sloppy derailleur action. These problems all contributed to Simplex's poor reputation, particularly in the years after SunTour's sturdy and precise derailleurs became available on bikes at similar price points.

Simplex's detractors should keep in mind that many TdF champions won on Simplex equipment, even the much-maligned "Prestige" derailleurs. Simplex's dual-spring design was copied by Shimano in their early "Lark" and "Eagle" derailleurs, and is now ubiquitous in modern derailleurs.
Old 04-21-11, 06:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

see what you started? There's the lovers, and then there's the haters ...and never the twain shall meet.

I have one on my 40 year old Gitane and it still works fine. For what it was ..... it's OK. "crap" is a bit strong in my book.
Same here; works like a champ:

Old 04-21-11, 06:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
I installed a Prestige GT/RD on a friend's Dawe's months ago. Works remarkably well even on a wide Schwinn 5spd freewheel.........even after his years of practicing the outdoor storage method.
Old 04-21-11, 07:06 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 108 Posts
Criteriums held together better than Prestige, at least that's my experience. Jockey wheels weren't good on either. Front units were subject to cracking. I have no experience with the metal units, but have heard they are every bit as good, some say better, than same period Campy high end stuff.

I have been able to get 2 spares for the stock Criterium on my Mercier, and before too long will have to bite the bullet on some Bullseye wheels.
Old 04-21-11, 07:31 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Same here; works like a champ:

Ah, but that's no fair JohnDT. That's one of the GOOD Simplex derailleurs.
Old 04-21-11, 07:34 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The Alvit is a hideous piece of work.

This on the other hand...

YES. Beautiful. Perhaps the most beautiful rear derailleur ever made?
Uh oh, better be careful with proclamations like that.
Old 04-21-11, 07:51 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The Allvit (check your spelling) was definitely not a "piece-O-junk." When it was introduced in 1958, it was a good design - it simply outlived it's useful lifespan. It's easy to disparage, based on the fact that Schwinn used it beyond it's genuinely useful lifespan. But it functioned quite well compare to other wide-range derailleurs when it debuted.
Old 04-21-11, 07:56 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Because no one ever adjusted them correctly. Bikes back then left new from the bike shop barely in working order. Cables would stretch, clamps would loosen, and maybe one in a hundred people returned for their free 30 day tune-up. My first bike had a Simplex Prestige and it sucked. A UO-8 I bought a couple years ago had one too. It shifted like crap when I tried it out. I put new cables on and adjusted everything and I was amazed at how well it shifted. I know my first couple ten speeds worked purdy poorly, not because they were bad bikes with junky parts, but because I hadnt learned yet how to maintain them.
That's true: my UO-8 in 1972 started shifting (and braking, and pedalling, and steering) a whole lot better after I bought Tom Cuthbertson's "Anybody's Bike Book" which started my life-long love affair with bike maintenance. I actually quite liked the red plastic Simplex rear derailleur -- it was buttery smooth until it broke and I toured on them -- until the Suntour V-GT's came along. But the front push-rod thing was really nasty (photo in Randy's post #5 above.) If it got gritty the rod would just seize up and never again retract far enough to get a reliable shift onto the small chainring. The first time I saw a proper parallelogram FD that rose to meet the larger chainring, and that you could actually clean, I was sorely impressed.
Old 04-21-11, 07:56 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Picchio Special
The Allvit (check your spelling) was definitely not a "piece-O-junk." When it was introduced in 1958, it was a good design - it simply outlived it's useful lifespan. It's easy to disparage, based on the fact that Schwinn used it beyond it's genuinely useful lifespan. But it functioned quite well compare to other wide-range derailleurs when it debuted.
I know. Thanks. I've got nothing against them. Just throwing out a jab there , in the spirit of the thread. Should have used a winky face I guess.
Old 04-21-11, 07:59 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
.....hee hee hee. I wonder if you'd receive a "cease and desist" order from Dupont once they found out your son's name. Delrin. Kinda has a nice ring to it. Sounds better than "Alloy".
...or "Allvit"
Old 04-21-11, 08:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
...or "Allvit"
I've often thought that "Allvit" was a contraction of "Allez vite"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.