Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Perpetual Ebay Listing ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Perpetual Ebay Listing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 12:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 620 Posts
Perpetual Ebay Listing ?

I "watched" a listing for an old Cannondale a while back because it was similar to mine, but since it's priced double what it's worth, it hasn't sold (was originally 4x its worth). However, it's still listed month after month for 29 day listings, but I never get the "An Item you were watching has been relisted" message. It just stays in watched items list.
What kind of listing method is this ? Isn't the seller paying fees each time ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-06-11, 01:29 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I've watched one frame be consistently re-listed for more than TWO years!

You'd think the seller would take the hint, eh?

I don't think the 29 day BIN listings are treated the same as auctions.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 09-06-11, 01:56 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Honestly, eBay should have a policy wherein if an item isn't sold in xx days, the price has to be lowered by a fixed percentage (like 10%) to relist it. I'm really irked by sellers who clog up the search results with crap priced at 2-3 times it's market value, and listed for what seems like perpetuity. Really, can't these sellers get the hint that no one is going to buy that crap at that those prices?
Old 09-06-11, 02:11 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I think you get these kinds of listings for free if you sign up for the $15 a month Ebay store. There's a 24" Schwinn beach cruiser, incomplete and incorrect for $400 here. Been there a looong time, too.
Old 09-06-11, 02:50 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I think you get these kinds of listings for free if you sign up for the $15 a month Ebay store.
Well this guy must be going broke then because he only has 2 bikes for sale, and $15 a month for a year+ is a lot of money ....

Old 09-06-11, 02:53 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Heck, there's a bunch of Mavic handlebars overpriced and collecting dust at eBay for almost a year now. What is bad is, everyone else selling Mavic bars are pricing them close to what the yoho had his at $200+ - $300+ (I got my NOS Mavic 350 bars last year for like 68 bucks!)....so they now all just sit there for months with no bids.
I noticed the same with a bunch of mafac levers too.

Chombi
Old 09-06-11, 02:55 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I think you get these kinds of listings for free if you sign up for the $15 a month Ebay store. There's a 24" Schwinn beach cruiser, incomplete and incorrect for $400 here. Been there a looong time, too.
Its better than that, the first 50 listings, EVERY MONTH, are free. They just bumped the final price fees to compensate. Just about negates the purpose of opening a store, unless you are going to list a lot of stuff. I tend to list 10 to 15 items a week, so this change is working pretty well.

While you guys are focused on bikes, I have sold some really low volume items, where it can take months before an interested buyer comes along. Now on bikes, there is enough demand where a bike realistically priced should move.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-06-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-06-11, 03:05 PM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Honestly, eBay should have a policy wherein if an item isn't sold in xx days, the price has to be lowered by a fixed percentage (like 10%) to relist it. I'm really irked by sellers who clog up the search results with crap priced at 2-3 times it's market value, and listed for what seems like perpetuity. Really, can't these sellers get the hint that no one is going to buy that crap at that those prices?
Yup. I find this really annoying as well. Not only does it fill up the search results with useless, overpriced trash, it encourages every other noob to ask 10X what his crappy backyard shed find is really worth.
Old 09-06-11, 03:10 PM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by Fissile
Yup. I find this really annoying as well. Not only does it fill up the search results with useless, overpriced trash, it encourages every other noob to ask 10X what his crappy backyard shed find is really worth.
And eBay probably likes this because the higher the price, the higher the listing fee.
Old 09-06-11, 03:17 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Whatever you do, do not write the seller and explain the true value of their item and make a reasonable offer. I never do that and I never get a discounted price. I've never paid $35.00 for a saddle that was listed for a year for $90.00, never happens. . . . don't waste your time.
Old 09-06-11, 05:07 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
Another on the never do list, never make a reasonable, but low, offer on a buy it now or best offer auction. I never do it, it never works, OK, it does work, but just don't do it!!!
Old 09-06-11, 05:19 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres a purple/white Ironman for 650$ and he hasn't fixed the tires or adjusted anything, the bike is not ridable. Called him because he's local and he thinks he'll get it because the bike is "rare". One man one dream.
Old 09-06-11, 07:48 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

You can put a price range in your search. I had a saved search for moderately priced wheels, with a high limit for price, to filter out the super duper wheels.

Old 09-06-11, 08:02 PM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Honestly, eBay should have a policy wherein if an item isn't sold in xx days, the price has to be lowered by a fixed percentage (like 10%) to relist it.
What about real low volume items, like this NOS Miyata Team frame/fork?

A forum member bought one of them.
Old 09-07-11, 09:27 AM
Fissile

I've been looking for a 1 inch threaded steel fork for some time, I've seen this ad gotta be for two years now. You'd think that the seller would drop the price to $10 to clear the thing out after two years of collecting dust, but nope. It's been $99 dollars for two years. Hope springs eternal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebrakenko-2...item43a67a7cd3
Old 09-07-11, 09:34 AM
bobn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about the guy who lists an item and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price again! I was waiting for the price to go down, not up. Go figure. I just gave up.
Old 09-07-11, 09:41 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I would like eBay to require a $100 fee to have the word "rare" in a listing.
Old 09-07-11, 09:49 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
I would like eBay to require a $100 fee to have the word "rare" in a listing.
After seeing this listing.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Handmad...item4aae8dfe07

maybe the fee needs to be $250!
Old 09-07-11, 11:40 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by bobn
How about the guy who lists an item and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price again! I was waiting for the price to go down, not up. Go figure. I just gave up.
That's actually a proven tactic. I've seen items not sell at a low price, then sell when relisted for a higher price. Similarly, I've seen an item not get any bites for weeks with a "Buy it now" price not much higher than the staring bid, then once someone placed a bid, things snowballed and the bidding ended up going beyond the Buy it Now price. This happened on a frame I wanted to buy. I watched it not move for weeks as I hemmed and hawed over the Buy it Now price. I figured no one wanted it at that price, so I put a bid in instead, confident I could get it cheaper that way. Just before closing, the bidding shot $50 past the original BIN price. I also had that happen with an item I was selling on eBay, but it was a smaller item not worth much, and the final bid was only a few dollars over the BIN price I had set for it. Lesson: if the BIN price is reasonable and you want the item, just grab it, don't go all cheap and try to save a few dollars by foregoing the BIN price and underbidding.

Last edited by southpawboston; 09-07-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 12:12 PM
Toeslider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember the details off the top of my head, but I was selling some custom-made photographic prints a while back on ebay using the 29 day renewing auction format. I was being billed $1 a month for the auction, whether I sold anything or not. Of course they ding you for a higher final value fee on the other side by doing it that way, but for certain items it makes sense.

Lets say you have a bike that someone MIGHT pay $500 for, but it won't sell quickly at that price. Maybe a good deal on that bike would be $200-$250. If you're not in any hurry to sell it, or maybe don't want to sell it that bad, you can advertise it on ebay this way for $12 a year. Not a bad way to go, in hopes of that one buyer coming along that can't live without your bike.

Remember, ebay is a service for SELLERS too. Some people just have the need to complain no matter what. The ones that complain about overpriced listings are usually the same ones that complain that they can't get a fair price for the stuff they are trying to sell. Deals are out there, and so are buyers. Just ignore the stuff that doesn't fit your needs. No one is forcing you to buy it.
Old 09-07-11, 12:16 PM
Zumkopf

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Schwinn Paramount, '74 Raleigh International, '75 Peugeot PX-10LE, '76 MKM Dominator, '80 Holdsworth Mistral, '81 Woodrup Giro Touring, '87 Bianchi Brava, '89 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, '94 Trek 1400

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
I've been looking for a 1 inch threaded steel fork for some time, I've seen this ad gotta be for two years now. You'd think that the seller would drop the price to $10 to clear the thing out after two years of collecting dust, but nope. It's been $99 dollars for two years. Hope springs eternal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebrakenko-2...item43a67a7cd3
Slightly OT, but there's a fair amount of research on buyers' reaction to pricing. Turns out an item priced at $99.99 will often sell better than the same item priced at $95 or even $90. The theory seems to be that the buyer thinks the former item should be $100 or more -- but it's less! -- while the latter items are believed to be priced at full value. Go figure.
Old 09-07-11, 12:24 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by Zumkopf
Slightly OT, but there's a fair amount of research on buyers' reaction to pricing. Turns out an item priced at $99.99 will often sell better than the same item priced at $95 or even $90. The theory seems to be that the buyer thinks the former item should be $100 or more -- but it's less! -- while the latter items are believed to be priced at full value. Go figure.
I think that's why gas is charged at a price ending in 9/10 of a cent (something I think should be illegal since they always round up as you can't pay with part of a penny).

Old 09-07-11, 01:43 PM
Fissile

Originally Posted by Zumkopf
I'm not a marketing expert, you're probably right. I picked that auction as an example because it's so far out on price only someone totally detached from reality would pay that much money for such a thing. Zebrakenko bikes were run of the mill Japanese bikes sold in department stores back in the 70's, not bottom of the barrel, but not high quality either. As far as I know the bikes have no collector value. That fork also doesn't have much appeal from a utility standpoint either. Cheap steel, stamped dropouts and the headset race seat is probably the old JIS standard of 27mm instead of the current 26.4mm. If you want just a replacement fork, you'd be better off getting a new threaded Nashbar carbon fork for $70. Like I said, I'm just amazed at what some eBay sellers will try.