Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many are powder coating verses painting your collectable bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 11:31 AM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being a novice I know nothing about choosing the correct finish for a classic or vintage bike. I think I would be more concerned about durability than looks, but I've heard it's possible to have both with powder coating. All things considered, is it wise to powder coat a high end collector bike? How will it affect the value if a collectable vintage bike is powder coated instead of painted? What are the cost differences? How many of you chose to powder coat verses paint your collectable bikes.

Pros and cons please.

Last edited by silvercreek; 11-29-11 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 11:42 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Liked 694 Times in 320 Posts
It really depends on what you have in mind for the bike. If you are planning a restore, then paint is the only route to go. No "true" collector is going to want a powder coated frame. If you just want to ride it, then powder coat is a viable option. A good paint job is a minimum of $300-$400 and if you go really nuts can be up to $1000. A decent powder coat is around $100. By decent I mean it is a 5 footer...it looks good about 5 feet away. Powder coating can be too heavy and you lose the details of pantographing and lug work, so if you want those preserved, then the cost of the powder coat just went up.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-29-11, 11:45 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I went paint, the painter is local and VERY reasonable.

Frameset after paint and surface applied VeloCals decals:

(color is off, it's more gray than bluish)

Without decals:

Lug closeup:

Old 11-29-11, 11:49 AM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I worked at both a powder coating shop (helper) and a paint shop (painter). In my opinion powder coating is a utility/commercial finish and paint is a quality restoration finish. You can pick your application to suit your needs. Most of my woodworking machinery and yard equipment restorations get powder coated, my bikes get painted.
Old 11-29-11, 12:11 PM
badger_biker

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
I went paint, the painter is local and VERY reasonable.
Very nice Keith! Did you use AP?
Old 11-29-11, 12:26 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 354 Times in 110 Posts
I'd only pc a foul weather utility bike. Original paint almost always looks better.

Anybody know of any decent painters near Chicago?
Old 11-29-11, 12:39 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Very nice Keith! Did you use AP?
I did in fact...lovely job...regardless of the value!
Old 11-29-11, 12:53 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think most folks are neither powder coating nor painting their "collectable" bikes if they're worried about (monetary) value. Most of the collector value of a classic bike is in cachet, and the cachet is lost along with the originality.

If it's a rider, then it can go either way like you said. Paint is probably better if you are thinking of it as a "nice looking" bike, but people have posted some pics of really nice PC jobs, too.

I used wet paint on mine, because I wanted to do it myself. It cost me $50 + 20 hours labor and was a lot of fun. If I value that time at the $7/hour it costs to see a new-release movie, I figure I saved $90 just in entertainment expenses. ;-)
Old 11-29-11, 12:54 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,987 Times in 1,321 Posts
Depends on the frame as well as the useage. Fillet brazed frames like Cannondales look just fine with powdercoat. Some lugged steel frames do not translate well with powder coat, especially if the PC technician has a heavy hand. Single color, opaque = powder coat. Fancy, metallics or graphics, I suggest wet paint. In either case, the person holding the color gun determines what it looks like, so pay accordingly.
Old 11-29-11, 12:57 PM
Preynmantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, once you remove the original finish, you have already removed the only real reason to be worried about what is on the frame. You have already taken off the original finish and no collector is going to give you top dollar for a refinished bike. While a quality paint job will likely bring more than a PC bike, I would submit that a quality PC bike will be better than a low quality painted bike. However, if you are looking for a restoration that is as close to the original as possible, paint is your best bet.

A good PC shop like Spectrum can give a finish every bit as pretty as most paint jobs. The cost can be as much or more than the paint job.

In terms of durablity, there is really no contest. A PC finish will always be more durable than paint. You run the risk of having a poor finish like mentioned above and losing detail around lugs. In my case, durability was my primary consideration. I will find out in a few days if it was worth it.

Cost? I believe that my total cost when I am done will be well south of $200 and I will have a bike with a base powder coat, painted on graphics, and a painted clear coat on top. It will be highly durable and very pretty.

I know that many would disagree with my belief that PCing is a viable option on a quality frame and be frankly apalled, but I prefer a more durable finish and in the end you are the one who has to live with it.
Old 11-29-11, 01:32 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Just dropped the 1991 RB-T off at the powder coater this morning. Chose a metallic brass. This is my first experiment with PC, so we shall see.
Old 11-29-11, 02:02 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Preynmantis
IMO, once you remove the original finish, you have already removed the only real reason to be worried about what is on the frame. You have already taken off the original finish and no collector is going to give you top dollar for a refinished bike. While a quality paint job will likely bring more than a PC bike, I would submit that a quality PC bike will be better than a low quality painted bike. However, if you are looking for a restoration that is as close to the original as possible, paint is your best bet.

A good PC shop like Spectrum can give a finish every bit as pretty as most paint jobs. The cost can be as much or more than the paint job.

In terms of durablity, there is really no contest. A PC finish will always be more durable than paint. You run the risk of having a poor finish like mentioned above and losing detail around lugs. In my case, durability was my primary consideration. I will find out in a few days if it was worth it.

Cost? I believe that my total cost when I am done will be well south of $200 and I will have a bike with a base powder coat, painted on graphics, and a painted clear coat on top. It will be highly durable and very pretty.

I know that many would disagree with my belief that PCing is a viable option on a quality frame and be frankly apalled, but I prefer a more durable finish and in the end you are the one who has to live with it.
I struggled with that with my Fuji Professional above. But, the rust issues the frame had really left me with no choice:

The pics make it look worse than it actually was. I really felt like the frame needed to be "explored" and really the only way to do that was strip the paint, ensure the integrity, and repaint. If I could have saved the original finish I would have.
Old 11-29-11, 02:10 PM
Preynmantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
I struggled with that with my Fuji Professional above. But, the rust issues the frame had really left me with no choice:

The pics make it look worse than it actually was. I really felt like the frame needed to be "explored" and really the only way to do that was strip the paint, ensure the integrity, and repaint. If I could have saved the original finish I would have.
IMO, you made a good choice. I found myself in the same boat with my Canopus, and I really wished I could have saved the original finish. In the end, I did what you did and stripped it all. I am on pins and needles waiting to see how it turned out. Should be done this week.
Old 11-29-11, 02:16 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
75% go to the coater. OK, 3 for durability, cost, and speed, one color. (1 week turnaround). 3x$70 = $210.
25% go to the painter. OK, 1 for high end quality and color; blasted, primed, 2 base/4 clear over decals. $350

I'm about to get very involved in coating a 4th frame. it's a higher end frame and I want it to be right. The coating guy is not an experienced painter, and I'm handling the masking of the chromed lugs, etc. Because I know I have to live with it no matter what, I'm trying to be proactive. (I really hate that corporate-speak, but that's accurate.)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-29-11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 02:44 PM
dphi 

Bikes: Motorola Merckx, '72 Paramount, '72 PX-10, CF Hill

Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Another factor when deciding between paint and powdercoat is the color you want to go with. For standard, non-metallic colors, powdercoating usually looks fine. When I got my PX-10 done, I didn't hesitate to go with powdercoating since Peugeots of that generation weren't exactly known for their paint quality, and all I needed was a basic semi-gloss black. If I were trying to get the perfect shade of Merckx orange, I might start looking into paint.

However, a good powdercoater that specializes in bicycles can pull off a great finish; as evident in the recent powerdercoat pictures thread.
Old 11-29-11, 03:30 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
I guess I don't get the whole premise of the question. Collectable bike = don't repaint or powder coat.

Now once a bike is so distressed it needs paint to survive, then that is a different question. Keith's bike above is a nice example where painting made a lot of sense.

But an original and collectible bike, the original paint and decals are a significant part of the value. I learned this the hard way with antique furniture (been buying/collecting antique furniture for almost 50 years). The stuff early on that I refinished now has a significantly lower value than the stuff I left alone. Patina = value.

It also depends what you call "collectible". To me, there are a few models from most brands that are "collectible", then there are a lot of nice models, average models, and then so so models.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-29-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 05:30 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I guess I don't get the whole premise of the question. Collectable bike = don't repaint or powder coat.

Now once a bike is so distressed it needs paint to survive, then that is a different question. Keith's bike above is a nice example where painting made a lot of sense.

But an original and collectible bike, the original paint and decals are a significant part of the value. I learned this the hard way with antique furniture (been buying/collecting antique furniture for almost 50 years). The stuff early on that I refinished now has a significantly lower value than the stuff I left alone. Patina = value.

It also depends what you call "collectible". To me, there are a few models from most brands that are "collectible", then there are a lot of nice models, average models, and then so so models.
You will have to pardon my inappropriate terms. I'm a novice when comes to knowing what's what in the bicycle world. All I've done for 45 plus years is ride them and fix them when they get broken. I still own my one owner '76 Schwinn Superior, '76 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2, a Takara and a 1998 Raleigh SC30. One of these days I would like to own a Schwinn Paramount. Please don't hesitate to correct me in my learning process.
Old 11-29-11, 05:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
A 1976 Superior is a pretty special bike second right behind the Paramount as I recall. Should continue to appreciate in value. I would be very pleased to add a Superior to my fleet! And I have yet to have added a 1970s Paramount either.

What is high end collectible bike is a continually changing list, and in the eye of the collector. For example, I have several Japanese built Schwinns, many would not consider them high end collectible bikes. Depends on your point of view. Replicating the original paint on a couple of them would be very costly and difficult. So even though they are not high end, they are desirable (IMHO) and worthy of maintaining the original paint and decals.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-29-11 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 06:13 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
A 1976 Superior is a pretty special bike second right behind the Paramount as I recall. Should continue to appreciate in value. I would be very pleased to add a Superior to my fleet! And I have yet to have added a 1970s Paramount either.
Old 11-29-11, 06:31 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i think everyone gave great answers. it is always a stirring debate.

me? i'll throw a rattlecan job of my chosen color on anything if it will look better than what's already there. i don't have any "collectible" bikes since i use them for utility.
Old 11-29-11, 06:42 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RFC
Just dropped the 1991 RB-T off at the powder coater this morning. Chose a metallic brass. This is my first experiment with PC, so we shall see.
Who did you go with, RFC? In the Phoenix area I've used AZ Powdercoat, just off of Washington and the 143 by the airport. $60 for the job, and the results were decent - not perfect, but a decent value for the price.

I'm interested to see what yours turns out like.
Old 11-29-11, 08:05 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Who did you go with, RFC? In the Phoenix area I've used AZ Powdercoat, just off of Washington and the 143 by the airport. $60 for the job, and the results were decent - not perfect, but a decent value for the price.

I'm interested to see what yours turns out like.
I went to San Tan Powder Coating in Mesa. This is a guy who used to work for a larger automotive coating/painting company that was acquired. He operates out of his garage and specializes in automotive, motorcycles and bikes, and advertises in the CL bike section. I saw his work and it looks fine. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-29-11, 08:46 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i usually pc, but i've got one nice bike that needs special masking to do it right, so i sent it back to the builder and had him repaint and chrome part of it. cost me a fortune. looks nice, but isn't as tough as the pc. i get just as many compliments on the pc as the wet paint at 1/4 the price. so i guess i prefer pc.