Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Now THIS is what it looks like when your parts bin throws up!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 12:32 PM
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Someone recently posted a thread about their parts bin throwing up and creating a beautiful and period correct Raleigh International or something similar...that's not what this is.

I've been wanting to build up a flat bar roadie and I've also been wanting to try out a single speed. I'm at my parents' for Christmas break and realized I have all the parts here to kill two birds with one stone and build a flat bar single speed...

The frame is too big for me and I have to slam the seatpost but the top tube length is perfect with flat bars. I got the frame sans fork from fellow C&V'er bikemore for free as it had been crashed (bent dropout and derailleur hanger) and was camouflaged with a few layers of paint/primer and covered in electrical tape. There are remnants of a Columbus decal on the downtube but I can't make out what it is. It is very nicely built but has had a hard life...

Here she is in all her glory. GT hybrid fork, mini-V in the front, Campy sidepull in the back, Campy chorus crank and a 40 year old Brooks Pro. I've ridden it around the block and through the woods and it rides pretty nicely. If I like it and the fit works I'm going to repaint it and add the biggest tires the rear triangle will take (like 28's) and pull off the big ring on the crank.

Simonelli 1 by telepciaka, on Flickr

Simonelli 3 by telepciaka, on Flickr

Simonelli 2 by telepciaka, on Flickr

Simonelli 5 by telepciaka, on Flickr

Simonelli 4 by telepciaka, on Flickr

Simonelli 6 by telepciaka, on Flickr
Old 12-21-11, 03:16 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perhaps I am no longer the undisputed king of Mudblood builds!

Noice work. Noooooiiice.
Old 12-21-11, 03:20 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a fun beater. I especially like the mismatched tires. I'd ride it over the hill and through the woods, and to the pub for a pint.
Old 12-21-11, 03:29 PM
ColonelJLloyd

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I dig it.
Old 12-21-11, 03:31 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
What kind of frame is it? I like the ratrod approach to the build. There are far too many members on these forums that are OCD beyond belief when it comes to their builds and, ultimately, this is about riding bikes and having fun, isn't it?
Old 12-21-11, 03:38 PM
ctmullins 
Lurker

Bikes: Various home-built frankenbikes

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Salmonella in the wild! Yum!
Old 12-21-11, 03:42 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Cool looking ride, kinda Mad Max style.
I bet if you could get a 650B rear wheel or rim, and a long enough centerpull, you can fit a huskier tire at the back. The front's hybrid fork doesn't look like it'll hinder a tire up to 45mm.
Old 12-21-11, 03:44 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ctmullins
Salmonella in the wild! Yum!
That's Italian isn't it? I like that, I may have to borrow it for my rat rod parts bin build.
Old 12-21-11, 04:03 PM
jet sanchEz

Liked 887 Times in 397 Posts
This is really cool, we should all do a parts-bin-only build. Maybe instead of the Velo Cheap-Off?
Old 12-21-11, 04:11 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Now that's more like what my parts bin pukes up.
Old 12-21-11, 04:15 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't decide whether I like the campy crank or the single pivot/v-brake more.
Old 12-21-11, 04:18 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
I can't decide whether I like the campy crank or the single pivot/v-brake more.
Neither, it's the paint damage.. it builds character.
Old 12-21-11, 04:22 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by photogravity
There are far too many members on these forums that are OCD beyond belief when it comes to their builds and, ultimately, this is about riding bikes and having fun, isn't it?
Old 12-21-11, 04:23 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Neither, it's the paint damage.. it builds character.
Yeah, I was just thinking we could start of line of bikes like these and charge a pretty penny.
Old 12-21-11, 04:36 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,913 Times in 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
That's Italian isn't it?
Originally Posted by WNG
That's Italian isn't it? I like that, I may have to borrow it for my rat rod parts bin build.
Depends on your definition of "Italian." Gian Simonetti was one of the guys in the soap opera that was Masi California. I believe, but am not at all certain, that he came from Italy to work at MasiCal.

Depending on who you ask, he was either (a) one of the primo builders or (b) a guy who couldn't braze his way out of a wet paper bag but who worked by the door and shmoozed anyone and everyone who came in, convincing them that he was "all that" while others did the real work. In the wake of the MasiCal supernova, he and Mike Howard then made Medici frames in SoCal, which at some point morphed into Simonetti frames, also made in SoCal. (At some point, Howard had some serious legal troubles, and I assume without knowing that that was a major reason for the change of moniker for the frames.)

By my reckoning, that makes an American frame, but opinions may differ. FWIW, Classic Rendezvous lists Medicis in the USA section, not the Italy section, and there is no Simonetti section in either place.

Full disclosure time: None of this is from my first-hand knowledge, but rather is from stuff I've read written both by folks who were there and folks whe weren't but talked to people who were. For one example, there is a link to an amazingly long and bitter exchange of e-rants in Classic Rendezvous in the Medici page. It deals more with who was a better friend to Mario Confente and his widow than with Medici/Simonetti frames, but there is some pertinent stuff. Don't start reading the exchange unless you (1) have a high tolerenace for increasng levels of pettiness and nastiness and (2) have an hour and a half with nothing else to do. Unfortunately, I once had both at the same time . . . .

None of this is in anyway meant to cast aspersions on the OP's bike. I hope it rides great and serves you well.
Old 12-21-11, 05:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,837 Times in 1,710 Posts
That looks like fun - and I LOVE the custom paint

Curious about one detail: shouldn't the knobbier of the tires be on the back? Seems like asking for a high-side with all that grip up front!

Or maybe I'm just showing my ignorance regarding Mudbloods (whatever those are)...?

DD
Old 12-21-11, 05:18 PM
gomango

Liked 263 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
This is really cool, we should all do a parts-bin-only build. Maybe instead of the Velo Cheap-Off?
Good idea.

That's essentially what my Casati is at this point.
Old 12-21-11, 05:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,837 Times in 1,710 Posts
^ My Casati can beat your Casati

(in the "Looks Uglier Than Sin" category)

DD
Old 12-21-11, 05:41 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
From my parts bin...

Old 12-21-11, 05:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
+1 Great idea. Dig out whatever parts and pieces you have laying around, and built it up.
Old 12-21-11, 05:45 PM
ColonelJLloyd

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 Great idea. Dig out whatever parts and pieces you have laying around, and built it up.
I'm on it!
Old 12-21-11, 05:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Sounds much like the Velo Cheap Off... but I could play when I get back to my shop as I have a few spare bits lying around and hanging from the rafters.
Old 12-21-11, 05:54 PM
jet sanchEz

Liked 887 Times in 397 Posts
Maybe for the new year? This is a pretty busy time for a lot of people.
Old 12-21-11, 05:59 PM
kc0yef 

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I think you build this because Simon said to
love the build I am doing a winter project with flat bars eeerp I have a box called parts vomit
Old 12-21-11, 07:46 PM
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the comments and I love the parts bin build-off idea! Up until recently I had a tricolor, Arabesque and C Record group in my "parts bin"...but that sort of thing doesn't count. For this build-off it needs to be real bottom of the barrel type stuff that has been cast off into "I might use this someday"-land. Not the "saving for the right frame" parts.

The frame is a "Simonelli" LL not TT. Confirmed by the engraving in the BB shell.

It rides pretty well but desperately needs a beefier tire in the back if I'm going to do any kind of off road riding. Unfortunately, all of the cross tires I have and the x32 Paselas are too big...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.