Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hard time getting weight off hands and signaling.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hard time getting weight off hands and signaling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 07:57 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,570 Times in 3,281 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You may need a bike fit. You don't need superhuman core strength to lift your hands off the bars.
Yeah, this.

On a bike that is properly fitted you should be able to remove your hands from the hoods and move to the drops (and vice versa) easily and with no haste because your butt is suspending your body mass. If your saddle is too far forward you'll start falling forward when you let go.
Old 05-02-12, 08:01 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Originally Posted by todayilearned

I think your saddle needs to go to the rear about a cm.
Old 05-02-12, 08:19 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reading the rest of the comments it looks like I was right......

an thats all that matters.
Old 05-02-12, 08:35 AM
seypat

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,536 Posts
Reading about the OP's problem I'm sensing 1 of 2 things.

(1) is he's a troll having a little fun. Or...

(2) he has some weak wrists/forearms. Might be time for a trip to the adult video store.
Old 05-02-12, 09:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Great drill while pedaling on the trainer is to get in a good aero position in the drops.

Then take your hands off the bars, and keep in the same position. Works the core muscles in a cycling specific manner.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-02-12, 09:17 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Your fit looks good enough. Your problem is not weight on your hands. Practice riding with no hands and then with either hand on the bar. Once you're comfortable doing that, ride with one hand on the bars while looking behind you and maintain your line. I think you just need practice.
Old 05-02-12, 09:20 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I agree on saddle position. I would try moving the saddle back a bit more. I generally shoot for balance over the pedals. If you feel like too much weight is on your hands shift everything back a bit.
Old 05-02-12, 09:58 AM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe rubbing tummy, patting head drills would be in order?
Old 05-02-12, 01:10 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to go talk to my fitter and see if I can figure something out.

The only difference between now and when I used to ride before is I've gained 20lbs thanks to Nutella.
Old 05-02-12, 06:47 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You look super cramped on your bike dude, you need a setback post with the saddle slammed most or all of the way back, and a ~120mm stem set ~15-30mm higher. If you can't take your hands off to signal something isn't a little wrong it's ridiculously wrong and you need to make some huge changes. You should be able to lift both of your hands off of the drops / any part of the bars and keep your position fairly easily without falling forward...
Old 05-02-12, 06:51 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
You look super cramped on your bike dude, you need a setback post with the saddle slammed most or all of the way back, and a ~120mm stem set ~15-30mm higher. If you can't take your hands off to signal something isn't a little wrong it's ridiculously wrong and you need to make some huge changes. You should be able to lift both of your hands off of the drops / any part of the bars and keep your position fairly easily without falling forward...
Thank You for your extremely valuable input.
Old 05-02-12, 09:47 PM
Six jours

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Edited for brevity and clarity... your bars are too low. By a lot. It's cool that you like to have your upper body parallel with the ground, but that preference is causing your problem. The bars are so low that they're forcing you to tilt your saddle downward. That forces you to use your arms to keep from sliding off the saddle. When you remove a hand from the bars in that scenario, you end up putting even more force onto one side of the bars with your other hand. This makes the bike unstable.

The solution is to level your saddle and then raise your bars so you don't feel "castrated". This frees your arms from the need to hold yourself in place on the bike and allows them to more easily control the bike. It has the "side" benefit of making you more efficient and more comfortable - which will translate into better performance overall.

Last edited by Six jours; 05-02-12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 10:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
So I've been cycling for a few months now and I'm building up strength around the torso area but I'm still having trouble getting weight off my hands so I can signal. I've tilted the saddle a bit upwards which helped but I still put too much of my upper body weight on the bars.

Advice?
Move your saddle rearwards.

Balance on the balls of your feet with your heels and butt against a wall and lean forward like you would to grab bicycle handle bars. Note how you start to fall.

Do the same thing in the middle of the room.

You don't fall over because your butt moves back and counter balances your torso.

It's the same thing on a bike.
Old 05-02-12, 10:06 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Really? Look at my arms... Now imagine what they would look like with a 120mm stem even if it is higher. I can lock my elbows on a 110.

Look at my foot. The crank arm is at 1 o clock. If I set it at 3 and move the saddle back just 1.5mm I get a small concave bend in my back. I had a 25mm setback post before the current one and it didn't fit well.

My CAAD is 58 and with a 90mm stem my reach is a bit more than I would like.
Old 05-02-12, 10:13 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practice and don't put all your weight on your hands...?

I thought this thread was weird and tried riding today with my hands just off the bars, and for me it's no problem on my road bike (slammed and flat back) or on my MTB (upright when in the saddle), so I'm not sure it's only a matter of fit that will solve the problem. Maybe OP just needs to keep from putting too much weight on the hands and practice more? Just guessing...
Old 05-02-12, 10:18 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My CAAD is 58 and with a 90mm stem my reach is a bit more than I would like.
actually it would help a lot to know three things:

1) a pic of you on the caad
2) do you have trouble lifting a hand off the bars on the cannondale as well?
3) did the same person fit you on the cannondale or different?
Old 05-02-12, 10:58 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Move your saddle rearwards.

Balance on the balls of your feet with your heels and butt against a wall and lean forward like you would to grab bicycle handle bars. Note how you start to fall.

Do the same thing in the middle of the room.

You don't fall over because your butt moves back and counter balances your torso.

It's the same thing on a bike.
What if you have a long torso and you've moved your saddle as far back as possible on a set-back post?
Old 05-02-12, 11:28 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if you have a long torso and you've moved your saddle as far back as possible on a set-back post?
Probably time for a bigger frame then
Old 05-03-12, 05:43 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its the bike.............pack it up and send it to me ASAP.
Old 05-03-12, 07:18 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
drew's example actually ignores the pedaling aspect. like I said earlier, I'm not religious about KOPS but I do recognize that there is a range of where your knee needs to be and this tends to be a little different for each person. just like saddle angles, everyone should be within a certain range-- no one should be much in front of KOPS, or way behind it.

you have to tune the saddle position around your knees and not your reach or your knees will have issues sooner or later.

you only adjust reach with the stem. if the stem alone can't give satisfactory reach and bar height, then you have a problem with the frame size.

I am pretty sure drew knows this, I believe he was just making a point about balance and the ability to lift a hand to signal.
Old 05-03-12, 08:16 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I dont claim to be an expert, but what has worked for me is to get on a trainer or find a nice slight downhill stretch of road. Put the pedals at 9 and 3 o'clock and lift your body weight with your legs so your legs are supporting as much of your weight as possible. When you do this, you will naturally shift forward and back so you are balanced over the pedals. When you get balanced, think about where your butt and hands want to be. If your butt is hanging off the back of the saddle, that tells you that your saddle needs to move back. If you're up on the nose, you need to move it up. If you are balanced and you feel scrunched with your saddle all the way back and you have a long stem, then your bike is probably too small. If you feel too stretched (which might just be a matter of getting used to something new), then your bike may be too big.
Old 05-03-12, 08:41 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I dont claim to be an expert, but what has worked for me is to get on a trainer or find a nice slight downhill stretch of road. Put the pedals at 9 and 3 o'clock and lift your body weight with your legs so your legs are supporting as much of your weight as possible. When you do this, you will naturally shift forward and back so you are balanced over the pedals. When you get balanced, think about where your butt and hands want to be. If your butt is hanging off the back of the saddle, that tells you that your saddle needs to move back. If you're up on the nose, you need to move it up. If you are balanced and you feel scrunched with your saddle all the way back and you have a long stem, then your bike is probably too small. If you feel too stretched (which might just be a matter of getting used to something new), then your bike may be too big.
I do exactly this with my bikes. Not sure how it compares to a "professional fit", but I feel very comfortable on my bike. I think if your goal is recreational riding, learning to tweak your own fit is the way to go. Maybe a pro fitter could squeeze a little more power out of me, but I don't really care. I can ride easily in the drops or on the tops, and I don't support any significant weight with my hands. I see lots of people on group rides who never use their drops. What good is a slammed stem if you can't get into a reasonably comfortable aero position?
Old 05-03-12, 08:48 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seypat
. Might be time for a trip to the adult video store.
This is what I hate about the 41. Always trying to get guys to spend too much money. If you spent a little less time here, and a little more just generally googling, you'd know that there's a world of free wrist strengthening content available on line.
Old 05-03-12, 09:12 AM
gregf83 

Probably time for a bigger frame then
Then you have to problem of higher head tubes and more difficulty getting the bars low enough. I think if you have a long torso you will naturally have more weight on your hands than someone with long legs and a shorter torso.
Old 05-03-12, 09:14 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think if you have a long torso you will naturally have more weight on your hands than someone with long legs and a shorter torso.
perfectly logical. as your torso becomes closer to horizontal, you have more weight on your hands as well.

less weight if you sit closer to vertical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.