Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What bench vise due you use? Show us a photo!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 05:17 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts

Dealing with old freewheels C + V bikes is a pain, even with the proper breaker bars etc. Since I'm in the process of planning a new work area, would like to know what the bike forum veterans use and recommend in the way of bench vises?

Any other bench tools you find invaluable? No, I am not getting into frame building.
Old 06-25-12, 05:44 AM
reptilezs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
go to estate and yard sales. find a nice old vise. expect to pay about a 1$ a pound for a good vice. price varies. wilton is a classic but parker, reed, columbian, yost and starret/athol are good
Old 07-14-12, 01:12 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Sometimes You Get Lucky - A Vintage Versa Vise 90% off

Our town had its first ever community wide garage sale, with over 80 households participating. Not quite like those Kentucky highway sales, but a huge turnout. Anyway, I only made it to half the homes, looking for C & V bikes, picking up only one 24" Univega MTB for $2.

However, when I put this thread up 3 weeks ago, I had been looking months for a bench vise. Today, I picked this up, 1/2 through the 40 stops. I offered $5, but the seller wouldn't budge off his $10.00.

Anyway, they typically sell on ebay for $90-$193, so it's $10 well spent. I'm not a vintage tool collector, but I could learn to like it if I find treasures like this.

Also, in NJ found a mint looking Athol M & F 3 1/2 inch in NJ for about $45.00.

No more trips to the LBS!

Old 07-14-12, 02:20 PM
krome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 6" FPU vise from Poland. Purchased on Ebay a while back for $200. Weighs about 80#. Don't regret it at all. I have a Wilton at my work (I've got a machine shop there). I really like Wilton machinist's vises, but they are pretty pricey. I like the FPU I've got because it has an adjustable gib, you can take out any play in the jaws. The only thing I don't like about it is the jaws, but I'm going to make some smooth ones for it. It is a little different, as the movable jaw is in the rear. I've seen this style on German Leinen vises.

I've also got a 5" Chicago Morgan, that is a nice vise too, but the movable jaw has a good bit of play in it. Not really a big deal once you clamp your workpiece down well. Nice thing about the Morgan, the company is still around so I was able to get replacement parts for a 60-70 year old vise. They are in Milwaukee now.

Good money for a good vise is money well spent.

Last edited by krome; 08-10-13 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 02:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,629 Posts
As far as freewheel removal is concerned, a vise is a vise is a vise.

Where some people have issues is with swivel vises, which can slip (the swivel, not the jaws) when removing tight freewheels. The remedy is easy, loosen the swivel locks and swivel the vise all the way counterclockwise to the dead stop before removing the freewheel. Or modify the vise by replacing the T handle swivel locks with Allen head cap screws, then slip a spring over the end of a long arm hex key, and tie it to the vise so it's always there to change the swivel if needed.

Either way will end the swivel slippage that can be annoying (but doesn't matter otherwise) when removing a freewheel.

BTW- for really tight freewheels the issue isn't the vise, but the bench. If you can, secure the back of the bench to the wall on the end where the vise sits. (or both ends)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-14-12, 02:49 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Originally Posted by krome
Here is my 6" FPU vise from Poland. Purchased on Ebay a while back for $200. Weighs about 80#. Don't regret it at all. I have a Wilton at my work (I've got a machine shop there). I really like Wilton machinist's vises, but they are pretty pricey. I like the FPU I've got because it has an adjustable gib, you can take out any play in the jaws. The only thing I don't like about it is the jaws, but I'm going to make some smooth ones for it. It is a little different, as the movable jaw is in the rear. I've seen this style on German Leinen vises.

Good money for a good vise is money well spent.
Nice shade of green on the FPU!
Old 07-14-12, 03:44 PM
krome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Where some people have issues is with swivel vises, which can slip (the swivel, not the jaws) when removing tight freewheels. The remedy is easy, loosen the swivel locks and swivel the vise all the way counterclockwise to the dead stop before removing the freewheel. Or modify the vise by replacing the T handle swivel locks with Allen head cap screws, then slip a spring over the end of a long arm hex key, and tie it to the vise so it's always there to change the swivel if needed.

Either way will end the swivel slippage that can be annoying (but doesn't matter otherwise) when removing a freewheel.

BTW- for really tight freewheels the issue isn't the vise, but the bench. If you can, secure the back of the bench to the wall on the end where the vise sits. (or both ends)
Wiltons (newer ones anyway) have a serrated swivel that gives a positive mechanical lock on the swivel action. My FPU has a tapered locking action, and a very large swivel, so it hasn't been an issue yet. Other makes of vise might also have the serrated swivel, I'm not sure it is unique to Wilton. BTW, Wilton has a premium product line, and a much cheaper consumer line. They are the same in name only.

A bench should be fastened to the wall or floor or both, in my opinion. Immovable object is the goal. I don't like wasting energy moving the bench around.
Old 07-14-12, 03:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Our town had its first ever community wide garage sale, with over 80 households participating. Not quite like those Kentucky highway sales, but a huge turnout. Anyway, I only made it to half the homes, looking for C & V bikes, picking up only one 24" Univega MTB for $2.

However, when I put this thread up 3 weeks ago, I had been looking months for a bench vise. Today, I picked this up, 1/2 through the 40 stops. I offered $5, but the seller wouldn't budge off his $10.00.

Anyway, they typically sell on ebay for $90-$193, so it's $10 well spent. I'm not a vintage tool collector, but I could learn to like it if I find treasures like this.

Also, in NJ found a mint looking Athol M & F 3 1/2 inch in NJ for about $45.00.

No more trips to the LBS!

Way cool vise, and deal of the year on that price! I have several vintage vises, along with some vintage tool boxes and tools. Can't just have vintage bikes...
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 07-14-12, 04:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
My bench vise is a 3-1/2" Sears Craftsman. It's one of their better models since the lead screw is covered by the shank of the movable jaw which keeps the chips, etc. out of the adjustment screw. I have it fastened to a very heavy work bench with two 3/8"x3" lag screws and one 3/8"x4" hex head bolt with a fender washer and nut on the under side of the bench. It has NEVER moved while removing any freewheel or other job. AS FB noted, swiveling it to one of the stops is useful when you want to apply a lot of torque to something clamped in it.

I've made some smooth, non-marring jaw liners from two 3-1/2" long pieces of aluminum 1" angle stock.
Old 07-14-12, 04:20 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Originally Posted by wrk101
Way cool vise, and deal of the year on that price! I have several vintage vises, along with some vintage tool boxes and tools. Can't just have vintage bikes...

May have to start a show us your tool chest thread! I found one Kennedy machinists for free, it was my Cub Scout Master's, and I paid $10 for the plumbers model at a garage sale.

All of my dad's tools fit in a one tray fishing tackle size box. LOL
Old 07-14-12, 05:10 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
4" Wilton with swivel base here. I'm sure I have photos that show it, but they pretty much all look the same.
Old 07-14-12, 05:17 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a sturdy old Wilton 4 1/2", but I can't figure out how to photograph it without showing my incredibly messy workbench!
Old 07-14-12, 05:26 PM
jim hughes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waldowales
I have a sturdy old Wilton 4 1/2", but I can't figure out how to photograph it without showing my incredibly messy workbench!
What Photoshop is for!
Old 08-09-13, 02:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Man Cave Garage Sale Finds

Scored two vintage Columbian vises, made in Cleveland OH, today. The big one has 10" wide jaws. Anyone know the model number?

Also, the ultimate headset and bb adjustable wrench, 16"!
Old 08-09-13, 03:26 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Below is what we had in the shop I worked. What's important in a vise used for heavy work (frame/fork alignment, fixed cup removal, etc.) is the following:
  • Solidly mounted to a base that is also rigid and anchored.
  • Forged is better than cast - if you can afford it. Cast vises are more likely to fail, but a good one is still likely strong enough for any bike work. Absolutely do not purchase a vise made of grey cast iron (different than ductile iron that is cast, which is fairly strong.
  • Built to maintain the jaws in a parallel alignment, both horizontally and vertically, when clamped.
  • A bonus is a slide that allows forks blades to straddle it, such as the rectangular one on the Craftsman.
  • Another bonus with the Craftsman were the pipe jaws, used for cutting fork columns.
I mounted our vise so that the rear jaw was a bit in front of the bench edge, so that I could mount forks in it with the blade extending down (great for stuck stems). A pair of plastic jaws completed the assembly. The specific one we used is still available on eBay - Sears Craftsman model 51871, and Sears still stocks parts for it!. From what I can see from reviews the current made in China Craftsman vise bears no resemblence to the vintage real thing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
craftsman vise.jpg (27.5 KB, 251 views)
vise jaws.jpg (18.8 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 08-09-13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 03:52 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
The specific one we used is still available on eBay - Sears Craftsman model 51871, and Sears still stocks parts for it!. From what I can see from reviews the current made in China Craftsman vise bears no resemblence to the vintage real thing.

That's why I buy vintage vises, because they continue to be iron workhorses. They cost more than new ones from China, but it's the difference between pro grade and homeowner grade tools. A vintage Columbian #508 mechanics vise sold 60 days ago for $950 on ebay.
Old 08-09-13, 04:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,367 Posts
Here's shots of my two currently in use. One is a Columbia which i got when I had a shop in Cleveland. Had a young female customer recognize it and complented me on my choice. Turns out she was the grandaughter of "Mr. Columbia". Second is the one I use more often, A Rapid. I use it's self done handle positioning wing nut frequently. My Wilton Tradesman is at work. Very worn and worth every penny. Andy.
Attached Images
IMG_0815.jpg (90.6 KB, 248 views)
IMG_0816.jpg (95.9 KB, 247 views)
Old 08-10-13, 06:48 PM
graycenphil

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great thread. I never thought that much about my vises, much as I like and use them. I didn't even know who makes them, but here they are: The one in the garage, with the pedal next to it for perspective, is a cute little device, with a clamp to hold it to the bench, making it kind of portable and very useful. There is no make or brand anywhere on it. The big one is in the basement, and is a great vise and anvil. The base swivels and the fixed jaw rotates. It is a Rock Island 851 if that means anything to anyne.

Sorry - I have no idea why they came in upside down, and I'm not smart enough to fix it.
Attached Images
image.jpg (97.0 KB, 251 views)
image.jpg (98.4 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by graycenphil; 08-10-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 07:22 PM
krome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scored two vintage Columbian vises, made in Cleveland OH, today. The big one has 10" wide jaws. Anyone know the model number?
Bear in mind, vises are sized by the width of the jaws, not how far they open. I have not heard of a 10" Columbian. They might exist, but 8" is the usual "biggest one". The blacksmith crowd pays big money for big vises.

It is the bike equivalent of calling a bike size 26" when they are really talking about the wheel size.
Old 08-10-13, 07:31 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bear in mind, vises are sized by the width of the jaws, not how far they open. I have not heard of a 10" Columbian. They might exist, but 8" is the usual "biggest one". The blacksmith crowd pays big money for big vises.

It is the bike equivalent of calling a bike size 26" when they are really talking about the wheel size.
Thanks for your expertise! Do you know why the first pictured vise has taller and thinner jaws? Is it more of a woodworkers setup? I've only seen this style on Versa Vises.
Old 08-10-13, 07:35 PM
krome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your expertise! Do you know why the first pictured vise has taller and thinner jaws? Is it more of a woodworkers setup? I've only seen this style on Versa Vises.
sheet metal workers' vise. The thin jaws allow for bending sheet past 90º. But it has a really large opening, so it may be a vise for another specialty. Maybe a patternmakers' vise? I'm involved in the machining trades, so outside of mechanics' and machinists' vises, I'm not as knowledgeable.

Edit: Nope, not a patternmakers' vise. Probably a sheet metalworkers' vise. Nice vise, just the same.

Last edited by krome; 08-10-13 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 08:15 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

sheet metal workers' vise. The thin jaws allow for bending sheet past 90º. But it has a really large opening, so it may be a vise for another specialty. Maybe a patternmakers' vise? I'm involved in the machining trades, so outside of mechanics' and machinists' vises, I'm not as knowledgeable.

Edit: Nope, not a patternmakers' vise. Probably a sheet metalworkers' vise. Nice vise, just the same.
Thanks again krome. So many experts on this forum from so many different fields, from A to Z literally!
Old 08-10-13, 08:21 PM
krome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again krome. So many experts on this forum from so many different fields, from A to Z literally!
Thanks for the flattery. The only thing I'm "expert" in is wanking off. I'm pretty good at machining though. Wouldn't say I'm expert. Decent bike mechanic too. Not yet into framebuilding, but working towards it. Just to do it, mind you.
Old 08-10-13, 08:31 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Thanks for the flattery. The only thing I'm "expert" in is wanking off. I'm pretty good at machining though. Wouldn't say I'm expert. Decent bike mechanic too. Not yet into framebuilding, but working towards it. Just to do it, mind you.
In case your needs expand beyond your machine shop........... these seem pretty cool. Techshop was at the Detroit Bike Show with some frame builders.

https://www.techshop.ws/Floor_Plan.html

I am thinking of signing up to use their lathe, but I need a copier to make stair spindles.
Old 08-10-13, 08:54 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've got a record vise model SQ5. It's a beast of a vise and it's got a quick-release which is pretty handy. There's also a pipe clamp on the fixed jaw side. Unfortunately it's not in a proper workshop at the moment and is serious overkill for my apartment-based shop. It's got a swivel base as well... plan on using it for a lot more than just popping off freewheels. I only have it barely photographed in the background of this shot. I should weigh it tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.