Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cables maintenance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cables maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 09:22 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cables maintenance

How often do you change the inner wire and how often the housing.

I recently noticed that the rear derailleur cable housing at the cable stop on the downtube is looking really frayed and a bit rusty. It seems odd because that isn't a moving part. The only other reason is user error during installation. Now I know that cannot possibly be the case since I built this gorgeous bike 3 years ago, so I'm guessing 3 years might be the time to change the housing. The inner wire has never been changed either. Am I playing fast and loose with my safety?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-24-13, 09:57 PM
GP

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shift cables every year. Brake cables every 4-5 years.
Old 01-24-13, 11:29 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't recabled my machine in a while. I figure change out the cables yearly (or when frayed/broken - whichever comes first) and the housing every few years.
Old 01-24-13, 11:44 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shifter cables yearly, brake cables....errr.
Old 01-24-13, 11:56 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatever you do, dont get the dam bell cables from wallyworld, grrrr, I put a set on just to get my bike up and running, I do plan on changing them, they never take a set, just keep stretching and stretching
Old 01-25-13, 12:11 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 509 Times in 384 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
How often do you change the inner wire and how often the housing.

I recently noticed that the rear derailleur cable housing at the cable stop on the downtube is looking really frayed and a bit rusty. It seems odd because that isn't a moving part.
Makes perfect sense because that's where the cable rubs the ferule and gets exposed to the weather. Also, many cable runs between cable stops aren't perfectly straight.

How long cables and housings last depends largely on mileage and how much of that was acquired in bad weather. In New England, when I raced, my cables got changed every season. As an old man in Colorado I once let my cables go three years, but there was already fraying going on inside the front shift lever. I'll never let that happen again.

Cables and housings should be replaced at the first sign of damage, deterioration, or just plain lousy performance. If the derailleur is slow to drop to a smaller cog, if the brake levers are slow to return, change your cables!
Old 01-25-13, 07:03 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yearly...May change out the RD cable and last piece of housing more often to keep the shifting crisp...

It's a perfect DIY winter project!
Old 01-25-13, 07:14 AM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jagwire cable sets aren't too terribly expensive on amazon and shifted a lot better than the 105 set. Might as well just change them yearly.
Old 01-25-13, 07:14 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At $1.45-$1.95 a cable, I have them stocked up. Each time I buy something, I add one of each to the order. Change yearly, along with housing.
Old 01-25-13, 07:36 AM
topflightpro

Liked 693 Times in 439 Posts
My cables are replaced 1-3 times a year. Housing is replaced annually.

And OP, yes, the housing is moving in the ferrule. Every time you turn your bars, it moves the housing, causing it to start to fray, and once it is exposed, it starts to rust. And the housing for the rear brake and RD is moving too every time you brake or shift. The movement may be small, but it enough to cause the housing to slowly fray.
Old 01-25-13, 08:56 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My cables are replaced 1-3 times a year. Housing is replaced annually.

And OP, yes, the housing is moving in the ferrule. Every time you turn your bars, it moves the housing, causing it to start to fray, and once it is exposed, it starts to rust. And the housing for the rear brake and RD is moving too every time you brake or shift. The movement may be small, but it enough to cause the housing to slowly fray.

Dammit! It's never ending fiddling. I just want a bike that doesn't need to have anything done to it.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-25-13, 09:18 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dammit! It's never ending fiddling. I just want a bike that doesn't need to have anything done to it.
Get a fixie. There's still moving parts, but no cables. Of course, if I rode a fixie without a brake, I doubt I'd live long enough to benefit from the reduced maintenance schedule.
Old 01-25-13, 09:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
When's the last time you broke a cable? With modern equipment, this stuff just doesn't need as much maintenance as in the old days.

I just replace cables if performance starts to go down, or there's a visual problem. Typically that's several years.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-25-13, 09:29 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
I've replaced everything once (in the last seven years) and replaced one of the back cables an additional time due to corrosion. Seems that cable is exposed to dripping sweat.
Old 01-25-13, 09:33 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I just replace cables if performance starts to go down, or there's a visual problem. Typically that's several years.
^^^^Me too!
Old 01-25-13, 01:55 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I always buy quality cables (Dura-Ace right now), then stick with them until I notice performance issues.

Cables, especially shift cables, are really where you can get some bang for your money.
Old 01-25-13, 02:14 PM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I replace all cables with Shimano cables yearly just before spring. Typically I change out the chain at the same time
Old 01-25-13, 05:23 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
When's the last time you broke a cable? With modern equipment, this stuff just doesn't need as much maintenance as in the old days.

+1

I think most of you seem to be going into the overkill arena!!
Old 01-25-13, 06:06 PM
ruindd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say hello to Di2
Old 01-25-13, 06:08 PM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
+1

I think most of you seem to be going into the overkill arena!!
I respectfully disagree. Shimano STI has had a reputation for breaking the shift cable head off of the inner cable and jamming it in the shifter. I have seen seen shifters turned to trash because of this. It happens with no pre-warning at all.
Old 01-25-13, 06:31 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
I replace every year, though I tend to change the housing under the handlebar tape less often.

Yes, you can get several years out of cables, but when they fail, it's a PITA. Having heads pull off shift cables when you're in mountains (has happened to me twice over the years) is really no fun.

Cable and housing is cheap and not waiting too long can prevent inconvenience.
Old 01-25-13, 06:44 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Shimano STI has had a reputation for breaking...
I've never had that problem with SRAM shifters.

...Hey, you set it up for me. It would have been rude to not take it. Badump Ba!
Old 01-25-13, 07:48 PM
Will G

Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts
Had the head of a shifter cable break off in the shifter. Very much a pain in the posterior to fix. I replace cables every year, housings when I have shifting issues or see any rust.
Old 01-25-13, 07:55 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 4,058 Times in 1,999 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Shimano STI has had a reputation for breaking the shift cable head off of the inner cable and jamming it in the shifter. I have seen seen shifters turned to trash because of this. It happens with no pre-warning at all.
+1. Replacing derailleur cables annually is a cheap and easy way to avoid the "cable-break-inside-shifter" headache.

For housing, I look at the condition of the housing ends. If there's any rust, I replace.

Old 01-25-13, 10:52 PM
martialman.45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with merlin. If its not broken, don't fix it . I need to start carrying an extra shifter cable in case of a failure, especially on the tandem as it would be hard to get a ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.