Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advantages to being a girl in the C&V game

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Advantages to being a girl in the C&V game

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 01:39 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Pontoon road bike silly woman!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 02-05-13, 01:48 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

My questions is... how do you ride out to an island?
Most of the islands large enough for bridges have them down here. It makes for some of the only climbing to be had.
Old 02-05-13, 01:48 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 75 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Cattywompus
Oh, forgot- I bought the bike sans pedals for $230. Fair price?
Yes; $230 is a very fair price for an early nineties Series 3 Paramount.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 02-05-13, 01:56 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 2024 A Homer Hilsen, 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Liked 3,588 Times in 1,108 Posts
So we talked over coffee about how after the initial start-up cost, cycling would be a great low cost and healthy way to spend time together, how he wouldn't have to wear skin-tight clothes to be comfortable on a road bike, etc, etc. So he let me buy him an early birthday present.
I brought it home yesterday:

Now I want to know: was it wrong of me to have a bike in mind before we even went out for the ride?
What a wonderful story! May you two have many happy miles together...riding with my wife is the best thing ever.
Old 02-05-13, 02:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Thanks, guys. I knew you'd be supportive.

I love that color scheme, Thrifty Bill. Mr. Wompus's bike has the red splatter over the blue, so he and I are discussing what colors would look best for tape and tires, etc. I'm going to post better pictures in a new thread so you guys can give me some ideas.
The neon green bartape came from Nashbar, its their own brand. They call the color "radioactive green." The green housing came from Niagara (I buy it in 50 ft rolls), the red on the ends of the bar tape is red silicone tape.

I bought that neon green bar tape on a lark. Then my wife's hairdresser wanted a bike, her one request was that it be "pretty".

Since then I've used that bar tape on other bikes, like this black S12S. I rarely/never use black bar tape. I am actually right now working on my first rehab with black tape in about 500 bikes. Green is one of the contrast colors in the headbadge and on the seat tube stripes.

Old 02-05-13, 02:50 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I am a little afraid that she'll get the C&V bug herself though. She's an artist, craftsperson, builds cigar box guitars, frequently makes costumes for the entire cast of the HS play, has spun wool for weaving, basically can make anything she puts her mind to. If she gets it into her head to do wrenching, she will overwhelm me.

I like her already. Let her get into wrenching, convince her to think of tools as accessories, and you'll never want for a blue-handled tool again.

You're welcome.
Old 02-05-13, 02:55 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The neon green bartape came from Nashbar, its their own brand. They call the color "radioactive green." The green housing came from Niagara (I buy it in 50 ft rolls), the red on the ends of the bar tape is red silicone tape.

I bought that neon green bar tape on a lark. Then my wife's hairdresser wanted a bike, her one request was that it be "pretty".

Since then I've used that bar tape on other bikes, like this black S12S. I rarely/never use black bar tape. I am actually right now working on my first rehab with black tape in about 500 bikes. Green is one of the contrast colors in the headbadge and on the seat tube stripes.

Niiiiiiice! That's it- I'm going outside for a proper photo session with the new steed. I want to see more pictures like that from everyone. MOAR!
Old 02-05-13, 04:02 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So he let me buy him an early birthday present.
I brought it home yesterday:

Now I want to know: was it wrong of me to have a bike in mind before we even went out for the ride?
Sweet baby jesus, that's a nice first road bike. and for your question, no it's not wrong, not if it's a C&V Schwinn paramount.
Old 02-05-13, 04:22 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
I then bought Nelli her first roadbike...
Sorry, couldn't resist..
Old 02-05-13, 04:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,866 Times in 2,509 Posts
Lady buys her man a $230 Paramount and has an EM ace-in-th-hole.
When he is ready to move up to a ______, she'll have a vintageMasi, DeRosa or Colnago (or something) waiting in the wings.

N+1 has nothing on CattyWompus.
Old 02-05-13, 04:30 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Lady buys her man a $230 Paramount and has an EM ace-in-th-hole.
When he is ready to move up to a ______, she'll have a vintageMasi, DeRosa or Colnago (or something) waiting in the wings.

N+1 has nothing on CattyWompus.

If anyone in the Heavens above is taking requests right now, please,PLEASE listen to Wildwood! coughDeRosa​cough
Old 02-05-13, 04:32 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theEconomist
Sorry, couldn't resist..
With those eyes? Who could say no?
Old 02-05-13, 04:38 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, lots of great bike eye candy in this tread. Love the Paramount and the Merckx. You guys will have a great time on them. I'm still slowly working on my wife's Tommasini with the hopes that it will be done by Spring.
Old 02-05-13, 04:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

If anyone in the Heavens above is taking requests right now, please,PLEASE listen to Wildwood! coughDeRosa​cough
The Pope rode Colnago, not sure if DeRosa requests get answered in Heaven. They ride Devilishly sweeet.
Old 02-05-13, 04:46 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures, man! Tommasinis have great paint schemes- show it off!
Old 02-05-13, 04:49 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The Pope rode Colnago, not sure if DeRosa requests get answered in Heaven. They ride Devilishly sweeet.
Okay, so a St. Christopher headbadge for a Colnalgo, and a St. Michael headbadge for a DeRosa, right?
Old 02-05-13, 05:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,045 Times in 1,722 Posts
Oh, forgot- I bought the bike sans pedals for $230. Fair price?
Not at all. It's a terribly unfair price, for the seller. Seriously, that's the deal of the year.

Are you and he the same size? That would be a lucky thing if you can swap bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-05-13, 05:09 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Not at all. It's a terribly unfair price, for the seller. Seriously, that's the deal of the year.

Are you and he the same size? That would be a lucky thing if you can swap bikes.

We're actually pretty close in stride length. He's longer in the torso, though. But how cool would that be? Race out on one bike, switch at the turn-around, and race back! Oh, this is gonna get good!
Old 02-05-13, 05:17 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you guys understand how competitive this might get. We've been beating the tar out of each other since before we started dating:
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
Old 02-05-13, 05:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

That's typical. For a man and woman of the same height, the woman will have the longer legs.

My mother is 5'4" and I'm 5'9" yet we didn't have to move the driver's seat forward or back when we shared a car. I have unusually short legs for someone of my height.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-05-13, 05:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I hope you guys understand how competitive this might get. We've been beating the tar out of each other since before we started dating:
OK, you earned your bragging rights here.

Don't be too tough on him. You know how delicate a man's ego can be.

Old 02-05-13, 05:36 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It gets better: the seller didn't want to make the deal on Sunday so he met me halfway yesterday. It saved me an hour of driving.

The man has seven kids and still has time to ride. I was impressed.
Old 02-05-13, 06:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Okay, so a St. Christopher headbadge for a Colnalgo, and a St. Michael headbadge for a DeRosa, right?
St Michael? (thanks Wiki).
I was thinking more like owning a bike that just makes you want to 'ride it like you stole it' - faster all the time.
Old 02-05-13, 06:11 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Pictures, man! Tommasinis have great paint schemes- show it off!
Did someone ask for Tommasini pics? OK, my Tommasini, with radioactive green bar tape and cable housing. Picked this one up off C/L last summer. It sat there for almost two weeks. Sure it had some challenges, but the price was right. Of course, it was 240 miles away, one way. Lots of nicer Tommasinis on this forum. But within my budget, this was a pretty nice find (mostly 8 speed DA 7400 STI, with some tricolor bits).

Last edited by wrk101; 02-05-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 06:27 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Liked 181 Times in 93 Posts
A 'rule' in the screenwriting of romantic movies, esp rom-coms, is that whatever travails the couple must go through before the happy-ever-after ending, they must 'meet cute.'

You guys definitely have that handled. I hereby call dibs on your story, and am registering it with the Writers' Guild-West.

Now I just need to figure out how to write a screenplay.

[IMG][/IMG]

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.