Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What did they give you as a retirement gift?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 07:47 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

50+ retirees. What did your co-workers give you when you retired? Did you like it? What would you have wanted more?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-25-13, 07:59 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My wife/coworker gave me a Kubota BX25......
Old 04-25-13, 08:16 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went into my superintendents office to inform her that I was going to retire 4 years ago I was not prepared for the result. Our discussion turned to what I was going to do with all my extra time away from work. She brought up the possibility of me returning part time and asked if that could be possible. I took a moment to reflect and stated I could continue to do my job in 3 days a week if I gave up specific responsibilities. Those responsibilities were the things I hated about my position that included a weekly 4-6 hr senior staff meeting with her and the supervision of several problem employees. I gave up those hated responsibilities and commitments and consider that a great retirement gift. I still will be summoned to the meetings for budget or strategic discussions but not on the weekly basis.
Old 04-25-13, 08:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some people like me couldnt have had it better. Back in 93 I took a buyout which included a years pay. I had a luncheon, and came back the next day and did the same job for another 15 years as a contractor. Then it got better, I got retirement pay, contactor pay, and then SS for 5 years. I actually retired for good at 70. Triple dipping was not too bad at all. Finally I could put away some money for old age. As far as fellow workers went, I got a cycling rain coat and a few other small things.
Old 04-25-13, 10:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
A lead parachute.
Old 04-25-13, 10:19 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I still have a couple more years. When I go, it will be quietly. No parties for me. More "junk" I don't need. Just celebrated my 30-year anniversary here at the Lab and was able to pick one of about 80 "anniversary gifts". It took two months to decide because it was all junk, stuff I already have, or stuff I didn't really want or need. Ended up ordering a chime wall clock.
Old 04-25-13, 10:26 AM
akwoodworker
akrider

Bikes: hand built lemond, lava done, 520 and a Louis Garneau I picked up in Thailand

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing but it was a union job. However the job gave me a retirement income which is something that is not too prevalent in the cooking industry.
Old 04-25-13, 10:27 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I went into my superintendents office to inform her that I was going to retire 4 years ago I was not prepared for the result. Our discussion turned to what I was going to do with all my extra time away from work. She brought up the possibility of me returning part time and asked if that could be possible. I took a moment to reflect and stated I could continue to do my job in 3 days a week if I gave up specific responsibilities. Those responsibilities were the things I hated about my position that included a weekly 4-6 hr senior staff meeting with her and the supervision of several problem employees. I gave up those hated responsibilities and commitments and consider that a great retirement gift. I still will be summoned to the meetings for budget or strategic discussions but not on the weekly basis.
Lucky person with a smart boss. I had a similar offer that turned out to be a full time job with more work than I had to start with. I put up with it for 18 months before I lost my temper and just walked out.

Like I said.......lucky fella.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-25-13, 10:33 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The day before I retired from the hospital I worked at one of the prima-donna docs reamed me a new ***hole.
On my last day the department gave a retirement breakfast in my "honor" and many wishes for a happy retirement.
That's it. No gold watch. No big bonus check.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-25-13, 11:46 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Nothing/zilch/nada!
Just glad to get the hell out alive (post office job) with a pension + benefits back in '95.
Boss wanted to give a big speech on the last day saying 'blah/blah/blah'.
Told him if he did I would take equal time and he would not like what I had to say about him.
No speech, no flowers . . . no regrets!
Old 04-25-13, 12:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The best days of my life after 50 years of work.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-25-13, 01:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,227 Times in 4,547 Posts
I've been in the car repair biz for decades and people rarely retire. Years ago a guy I worked with retired after 35 years at the dealer. He wanted to buy a new truck and the sales manager gave him a hard time until he went to the owner and asked for a different sales rep.
That was all they would do for him, give him the salesman he wanted.

Here, a guy retired a couple years back and they bought lunch for the shop. It was something.

I want to retire more than I've ever wanted anything.
Old 04-25-13, 01:47 PM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Effective December 31, 2011, I retired after 45 years in Law Enforcement. Last 16.5 years were as Deputy Constable (effectively I was Chief Deputy but our office wasn't large enough for that pay grade). My boss, an elected official, arranged a retirement party at the Event Center where I am active with the church. Several civic leaders were there and a proclamation from the city (where I was once on city council) was presented to me naming the 31st as my day. The other deputies and at least one or two friends collected funds and presented me with a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 acp. And it hasn't been off my side since that day. The fete was well attended with lots of church members coming by to wish me well. I had done some (116) TV spots while with a different agency and they had them playing on the TV screens during the entire event.
Old 04-25-13, 02:39 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got downsized out of the outsourcing company that had absorbed the division I was in, where I had worked for years (an electrical utility). They needed to get rid of some of the managers in order to save expenses. I was one of the few with an MBA, and working on an accounting designation so I could be more useful to the new company, so I guess they figured I would be more expensive, so I was let go. I was within a couple years of the gold watch, so no gold watch. I am still kinda sore about that! They did pay me for the next 17 months. My only regret now is that I didn't just move to Italy for about six months. I found my current job after 3 years, but I will only have been there about 10 years before I retire, so I don't expect anything at retirement, but at least it's another defined benefit pension, another income stream.

I've never seriously pursued any career path anyway. I'd just leave each day when it was time to leave, get into my kit, walk to the bike room, and get on my bike for a long ride. Any real goals I've had related to my cycling "career" anyway, and I have no plans to retire from cycling. No pay, but great health benefits.

Luis
Old 04-25-13, 02:46 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm telecommuting from California into the home plant in Iowa. Retirement is very, very near at hand. I neither want nor expect anything. My retirement "celebration" will have to be via Webex. Since I've got a combination of SS, some savings and defined benefit pension I won't starve. Would like to stay in California, however, despite how bad things have gotten. One of my sons, DIL and two grandsons are nearby so I need to stick around.
Old 04-25-13, 04:10 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I am curious why the OP asked this question. I can't answer it because I'm not retired. As I've been self-employed for most of my career, all I expect is a plate full of brownies and a few hugs.

Old 04-25-13, 04:18 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I got downsized out of the outsourcing company that had absorbed the division I was in, where I had worked for years (an electrical utility). They needed to get rid of some of the managers in order to save expenses. I was one of the few with an MBA, and working on an accounting designation so I could be more useful to the new company, so I guess they figured I would be more expensive, so I was let go. I was within a couple years of the gold watch, so no gold watch. I am still kinda sore about that! They did pay me for the next 17 months. My only regret now is that I didn't just move to Italy for about six months. I found my current job after 3 years, but I will only have been there about 10 years before I retire, so I don't expect anything at retirement, but at least it's another defined benefit pension, another income stream.

I've never seriously pursued any career path anyway. I'd just leave each day when it was time to leave, get into my kit, walk to the bike room, and get on my bike for a long ride. Any real goals I've had related to my cycling "career" anyway, and I have no plans to retire from cycling. No pay, but great health benefits.

Luis
Well written and a near identical story for me. My department was outsourced and we all got the boot.
Old 04-25-13, 04:19 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I am curious why the OP asked this question. I can't answer it because I'm not retired. As I've been self-employed for most of my career, all I expect is a plate full of brownies and a few hugs.
Probably related to a Foo thread..
Old 04-25-13, 04:50 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I received a Canon Digital Rebel EOS camera, which was the best one going back in '04.
I use it to take pictures of my bikes............
Old 04-25-13, 04:53 PM
Tandem427

Bikes: Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best gift of all, my freedom!!!

I have a plaque somewhere that is gathering dust.

I had a full year's worth of annual leave plus the maximum carry-over from the previous year so that was a nice bonus.
Old 04-25-13, 04:57 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also was downsized and as a gift I was able to keep the shoe that they used to kick me out - although I had to have it surgically removed!!!!.
Old 04-25-13, 04:59 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A box and the door after 23 years and a couple of buyouts. Couldn't have been a better gift.

Guy who handed me the box was working today, I rode my bike.
Old 04-25-13, 05:48 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, retirement. I can taste it. I penciled myself in for May of 2014. That would make it 34 years in the health care delivery business. My gift would be full medicare coverage for myself with an employer paid supplemental plan, full company paid medical coverage for my wife until she becomes eligible for medicare, a decent pension that I paid into for 34 years and social security that I paid into since 1966. If I wait until 2015 to retire, I pay for medical coverage at a high cost.
Old 04-25-13, 06:39 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I got the gift of knowing that I would never have to work again unless I want to. I don't want to.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-25-13, 07:11 PM
jim911

Bikes: 2013 trek domane, 2011 raleigh international nation

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
retirement gift

Originally Posted by metalheart44
My wife/coworker gave me a Kubota BX25......
My boss ordered me a new Porsche GT3. I hope she's not kidding!
It comes with conditions, can't afford to retire!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.