Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Build it up or trade it in?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 12:26 PM
_dylan

Bikes: 1964 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

So, the bike that got me into the C&V and back into riding is the Sekine pictured below. I'm fairly sure it's a 1975 SHC 270. Medaille headbadge.

Two pictures are below: current state (the one where it looks blue) and when I first got it (the actual green color). Not much has changed.

However, I'm starting to think... I got this bike originally as a beater for a college campus. I'll graduate in May (may go to Washington for PhD--not sure yet), and won't necessarily need a college beater anymore. Soooo do I build this up? Or do I trade it/sell it for a new C&V road bike? I ride the 3 speed more often, but it's nice to get a good, fast, long distance workout ride every few days.

If I keep it, I'm thinking a repaint in either creme or black. It'll definitely take some work to clean it up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0650.jpg (86.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg
100_0607.jpg (100.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-22-13, 02:16 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you say Washington, if you mean D.C. you will probably need a college beater. Otherwise, it just depends on you. How comfortable is it? It looks a little small for you, based on the seat height. I don't believe that the frame would justify any major rebuilding from purely a cost standpoint, but I have spent inordinate amounts of money on bikes knowing I would never get my money back.
Old 07-22-13, 11:07 PM
_dylan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the time of that picture, I had the seat a little too high, I think. Of course, the frame could still be a little too small--even if just by a little. When I say Washington, though, I mean Washington state. I haven't decided if I want to skip my Masters and go straight into PhD studies yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to cart my bicycle up there with me if I do (but I'll certainly do my best).

The bike is comfortable and I have no problems with it--was just thinking it may be better to upgrade it with some nicer parts and a decent look if time/money allow. Of course, if I could trade it for something a bit better, I'd consider it. Just don't know if I want to completely part ways with the bike that started the itch. hahaha
Old 07-23-13, 12:05 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Liked 1,816 Times in 970 Posts
The SHC is a nice entry level road bike from days gone bye. Though nicely finished, Sekines of the SHC's quality level offer little more than a nice recreational ride quality, coupled with fairly nice and very functional Old School component group. However...

Since you have come to appreciate the different ride quality, compared to the three speed (roadster?) mentioned, of the Sekine, then think about the next level of ride quality. A ride quality offered by a higher end vintage road bicycle will, not sure how to best put this, blow your kilt up when you take a quality road bike, that fits you properly, out for a spin. So...

The cost to upgrade the Sekine, in my opinion, would be much better spent buying another old road bike. With luck, and perhaps a better understanding of How To Find Vintage Bicycles, you can come up with something that not only blows the kilt up, but knocks your socks off at the same time. Or...

If you seek workout opportunity, perhaps a Sekine Single Speed, the conversion of which would be a cost effective way to keep the bike and have something a bit different to ride, now and again...

Old 07-23-13, 05:12 PM
_dylan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The SHC is a nice entry level road bike from days gone bye. Though nicely finished, Sekines of the SHC's quality level offer little more than a nice recreational ride quality, coupled with fairly nice and very functional Old School component group. However...

Since you have come to appreciate the different ride quality, compared to the three speed (roadster?) mentioned, of the Sekine, then think about the next level of ride quality. A ride quality offered by a higher end vintage road bicycle will, not sure how to best put this, blow your kilt up when you take a quality road bike, that fits you properly, out for a spin. So...

The cost to upgrade the Sekine, in my opinion, would be much better spent buying another old road bike. With luck, and perhaps a better understanding of How To Find Vintage Bicycles, you can come up with something that not only blows the kilt up, but knocks your socks off at the same time. Or...

If you seek workout opportunity, perhaps a Sekine Single Speed, the conversion of which would be a cost effective way to keep the bike and have something a bit different to ride, now and again...

Thanks for all the feedback, randyjawa. I have really enjoyed the Sekine and I guess it has a small amount of sentimental value in it since it's the bike that got me into riding regularly, becoming a member of the boards, and everything else in my life that's bicycle related. But I do think I've decided I'm going to try and sell it to get something better or trade it. Not 100% sure on what I want to look for yet--but maybe something will just jump out at me.
Old 07-23-13, 05:40 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Around here, on trade in, you would get zero for that bike (or they would waive the usual discount on the new bike, charge you full MSRP, and then "give you" some trade in value. You know that game.

Anyway, sell it yourself to get some value for it.
Old 07-23-13, 05:53 PM
_dylan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Around here, on trade in, you would get zero for that bike (or they would waive the usual discount on the new bike, charge you full MSRP, and then "give you" some trade in value. You know that game.

Anyway, sell it yourself to get some value for it.
Yea, when I say trade, I mean trade with some other random dude selling a bicycle on CL. I typically don't deal with bike shops unless it's Smoopys in Murfreesboro. I was talking with someone earlier about trading for a nice Cannondale (not exactly a vintage one), and he was going to give me 150 dollars of credit for trading the Sekine. Extremely nice deal there, but I'm not sure I need to jump on that just yet.