Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is Bicycle commuting Hip?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is Bicycle commuting Hip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 06:29 PM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
LL Bean .....hip?........yea i guess if its the early 1980's and I was back at the University of Illinois.... if one considers preppy as being hip...maybe...
Old 09-09-13, 07:14 PM
peterw_diy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe Axciom told LL Bean that you bought bike gear and now LL Bean is sending you the cyclist cover instead of the car camping cover.
Old 09-09-13, 09:42 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I work with a lot of hipsters. They all drive Priuses. But lately I've noticed a lot more bike commuting. I think they think they are hipper then the other hipsters because they are even more eco friendly then the Prius crowd. I don't know. I just like riding.
Old 09-10-13, 12:44 AM
HydroG33r 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Bike commuting in the rain and snow is definitely hip. Fair weather, not so much. Just the other day, while waiting at a light during a downpour, someone on the sidewalk told me they thought what I was doing was really hip, and asked how could they be more like me. I just smirked, and rode on.
Quoting a Kyrgyz guy that I'm working with at the moment:

"It is easy to be cool when you are cool."
Old 09-10-13, 04:08 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShartRate
If you are a hip person and dress hip and have a hip bag and a hip bike and you can ride to work without becoming a sweaty mess, sure bike commuting can be hip.

If you are instead like me, and you are fat, wear bike shorts and an athletic shirt from Target, and have a Trek hybrid that you commute on and carry your crap in panniers and wear a dorky helmet and can't ride anywhere without becoming drenched in sweat, then no you are not hip.
Exactly what i was thinking, if you are the skinny fixie guy in SF or Portland maybe it'll get you some friends. The Clyde drenched in sweat with frizzy hair on a Fredified MTB maybe not so much.......
Old 09-10-13, 07:20 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
It's hip unless you care if it's hip, then it's not hip
Makes me think of HS days when the 'punkers' had to wear leather jackets and combat boots so that you could tell who the 'nonconformists' were.

Re: the new commuting fad -
1) I am glad that more cyclists on the road will bring better infrastructure for the rest of us, who will still be riding long after the flash in the pan has burned off and the crowd has moved on to go-karts or segueways or whatever.

2) There will be a few people from the trendy crowd who will be true converts and stick with it.

It's worth enduring the fad just for those reasons.
Old 09-10-13, 07:33 AM
joyota

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Blazer, 2004 Trek 4500, 2014 Salsa Fargo 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hip to be different and currently bike commuting in the US is pretty uncommon in most areas. That's my take on it, but not my reason for it. I just love riding and spending calories instead of petrol.
Old 09-10-13, 08:34 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
People think I'm weird for bike commuting, and my boss really encourages me to buy a car. Also, most everyone else I know.

Also, what is this "Fred" thing? Just now encountered the term...

M.
Old 09-10-13, 09:56 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I deleted the last few posts that were going in a political direction. Global warming, Republicans, and any other political-type stuff belongs in the P&R forum. Thanks for your cooperation with this.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-10-13, 10:09 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I just thought what we are doing is fun.
Fun is the part the "others" don't seem to get. The "others" seem to think we have ulterior motives; saving the planet, reducing our carbon footprint, saving money, don't have a car, can't afford a car, don't have a license, saving gas, a political statement, lose weight, exercise...whatever. Fun is the one thing they never think of, I started commuting just to work a little recreation into a very busy schedule. Nobody ever guesses that.

Marc
Old 09-10-13, 11:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I don't care if it's hip or not, I just hope more people do it.
Old 09-10-13, 12:12 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Hip? Gawd.. I hope not. Now that the fixed gear thing has totally flamed out, I can get back on my track bike again after a multi-year repreave. I've been commuting daily for 14 years and I would hate to have to give that up.
If something becomes popular and that is reason for you to give it up, then you my friend are even more concerned with what others think than those trying to be "hip"...oh the irony...you hipster, you

I for one won't stop doing what I enjoy just because more people find a reason to enjoy the same thing.
Old 09-10-13, 12:20 PM
alan s 

Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
If something becomes popular and that is reason for you to give it up, then you my friend are even more concerned with what others think than those trying to be "hip"...oh the irony...you hipster, you

I for one won't stop doing what I enjoy just because more people find a reason to enjoy the same thing.
I used to enjoy driving to work in my car...now so many people are car commuting, it's no longer hip. I now enjoy riding my bike to work. Hopefully bike commuting won't become hip.
Old 09-10-13, 12:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,175 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
commuting around europe has always been hip.

. . .
The urban areas in the US are becoming, in this sense, more European. That has long been true on the coastal cities but I live in the midwest and you see it here even in smaller cities.
Old 09-10-13, 12:28 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The urban areas in the US are becoming, in this sense, more European. That has long been true on the coastal cities but I live in the midwest and you see it here even in smaller cities.
I agree with you. I like the northeast costal cities very much. What I'd really like to see is more pedestrian zones with reasonable international shopping options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_zone
Old 09-10-13, 01:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
I think it's particularly hip if you're fat and don't have stylish clothing, because you're smart enough to see why it makes so much sense. You also want to give it a try and maybe lose weight and enjoy yourself at the same time.

Bike commuting is exploding in NYC now. I'm heartened to see so many people riding who are clearly not cyclophiles or athletes. My dreams are coming true. In the minds of Joe and Jane Average, bike commuting is starting to make more sense than all other ways of getting around.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-10-13, 01:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well, I tried it out for size on today's commute just to test. Rode out past the kids at the bus stop thinking hipster, ironical thoughts. I oozed hip on the mean streets, then switched to the Greenway to hip around there. I gotta say, none of that worked - it just felt like self-consciously trying to be pretentious. So I don't think it's hip yet.
Old 09-10-13, 01:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
it just felt like self-consciously trying to be pretentious.
But isn't that what's hip now?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-10-13, 01:57 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ShartRate
If you are a hip person and dress hip and have a hip bag and a hip bike and you can ride to work without becoming a sweaty mess, sure bike commuting can be hip.

If you are instead like me, and you are fat, wear bike shorts and an athletic shirt from Target, and have a Trek hybrid that you commute on and carry your crap in panniers and wear a dorky helmet and can't ride anywhere without becoming drenched in sweat, then no you are not hip.
Nonesense. That's true hip. The others are poseurs.
Old 09-10-13, 02:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Old 09-10-13, 02:49 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Liked 184 Times in 100 Posts
Edit: ^ Beat me to it...
Old 09-10-13, 10:45 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I question the major premise of your argument. Do you really think L.L. Bean is hip?
lol you are the only one that got the answer right lol lol
Old 09-11-13, 05:59 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
People think I'm weird for bike commuting, and my boss really encourages me to buy a car. Also, most everyone else I know.

Also, what is this "Fred" thing? Just now encountered the term...

M.
Fred is somebody other cyclists mock due to snobbery and/or envy. The original use is one of grudging respect - there may have been a real Fred who was an experienced utility or touring cyclist who could ride fast and far without spandex or a racing bike. So a racing club cyclist out training for a race dressed like a Tour de France rider would be mortified if some "Fred" on a commuter bike wearing non-racing clothes kept up or passed him.

Of course, many of us here embrace our Fredliness.

More recently the term has also been used to describe people who are seemingly over-equipped but under-skilled - maybe they bought a $5000 racing bike and putter along at 10 km per hour on the sidewalk with their bike set up all wrong, and have no idea other riders ridicule them, perhaps partly due to resentment.

Last edited by cooker; 09-11-13 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 06:22 AM
joyota

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Blazer, 2004 Trek 4500, 2014 Salsa Fargo 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I love the "Priceless Collection" sticker cuz that is a priceless photo.
Old 09-11-13, 02:47 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I'll never be hip then. I've been a little overweight but not obese, and I've been thin and ripped when I was much younger and a regular athlete. Through it all, I've always sweated profusely, especially from my head. My son has the same condition. Yesterday, he and a bunch of friends were outside playing and running around. Most of the other kids' heads were totally dry, but my boy looked like he had just climbed out of a pool. And he's not fat, at all. He has awesome six-pack abs at age five!

Signed,

Ol' Sweaty, who will never be hip.
Dude, my daughter has "sweaty-head syndrome," at 5! She's not alone! LOL!

I don't sweat too bad (unless its particularly warm out and I'm particularly slow...), but I will confess to being fatter than normal, particularly uncool in my attire selection, and just patently unhip... I guess I'm not ironic enough... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.