Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for good platform pedals

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 12:57 AM
Rocky_Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I've been commuting to school using some small ancient SPD pedals and flip flops on my road bike. It's not a lovely combination but my commute is only 2 miles. I would really like to get new pedals now. I really wanted some new clipless pedals but that just wouldn't be practical for only 2 miles. Mainly only because of the clipless shoes it requires.

So, I found the Nashbar Scratch Pedals:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_520498_-1

And I can pair them with the Nashbar Steel Toe Clips:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_175517_-1
Obviously I would wear shoes with this rather than flip flops. Idk if steel toe clips are worthwhile?

Or I can just go get the REI pedals at my local store,
https://www.rei.com/product/752205/we...-21-atb-pedals

Any recommendations?
Old 09-18-13, 01:49 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Unless you are riding a fixed gear bike, I don't think foot retention of any kind is necessary for such a short distance.

I'm rocking these myself (came stock on my bike ).
Old 09-18-13, 05:06 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I just procured these for my road bike: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not high end, but they function. That said, they're pretty hefty, and with some exaggeration I'd say they weigh almost as much as the bike itself!

M.
Old 09-18-13, 06:40 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
MKS are a favourite platform pedal. The Sylvian touring model is wide and double sided. You can use them with or without toe clips.
Should you toeclip? For 2 miles I would say no. I used to ride toeclips everywhere but switched to plain platforms for zipping around down and rarely miss them.
Old 09-18-13, 07:07 AM
macdonwald

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like these (pricey) Velo-Orange Sabot pedals for a no-retention option:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3_4_sabot.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-18-13, 07:16 AM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like these on my MTBs:

Wellgo MG-1 - https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Magnesi...ef=pd_sbs_sg_5
Old 09-18-13, 07:31 AM
qualla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=6922These are cheap, comfortable and reasonably secure. Not so much with the attractiveness.
Old 09-18-13, 07:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
I roll with theses.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...alf-clips.html

Old 09-18-13, 08:55 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Unless you are riding a fixed gear bike, I don't think foot retention of any kind is necessary for such a short distance.

I'm rocking these myself (came stock on my bike ).
I like this style too. I have cheaper knock-offs for winter riding. The spikes stick nicely to your shoes, partially replicating the benefits of clipless.
Old 09-18-13, 09:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
These : https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ergon-erg...als-prod27963/ and 'what ever' shoes ..

The reflectors wrap around for a greater reflecting angle..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-19-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 09:14 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky_Bike
Hello,
I've been commuting to school using some small ancient SPD pedals and flip flops on my road bike. It's not a lovely combination but my commute is only 2 miles. I would really like to get new pedals now. I really wanted some new clipless pedals but that just wouldn't be practical for only 2 miles. Mainly only because of the clipless shoes it requires.

So, I found the Nashbar Scratch Pedals:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_520498_-1

And I can pair them with the Nashbar Steel Toe Clips:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_175517_-1
Obviously I would wear shoes with this rather than flip flops. Idk if steel toe clips are worthwhile?

Or I can just go get the REI pedals at my local store,
https://www.rei.com/product/752205/we...-21-atb-pedals

Any recommendations?
I was going to say that these and any of the other suggestions are not suitable for flip flops but it appears that you'll be using shoes in the future.

These Nashbar (and similar track-style) pedals could make your feet sore, even in regular shoes, because of the limited contact area - you'd be best to wait until you have stiff-soled shoes for these. Mallet-style pedals, like many of the suggestions above would be better but, because of the "sharp" points to prevent you from slipping off, make sure you have a decent sole between your foot and the pedal.

You could consider a hybrid, a mallet-style pedal with a clipless cleat so you could switch between the 2 (an example would be the Mallets from Crank Brothers, https://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_mallet.php). Although you might not think that 2mi is sufficient distance to invest in clipless, I disagree, I often go on short runs/rides with the bike and benefit from the tight contact between my feet and the bike. Furthermore, bike shoes are stiff and help with the pedalling action and secondly, hybrid pedals would allow you to switch to clipless when you feel you'd like to without buying a second set of pedals or having to install/uninstall.
Old 09-18-13, 09:27 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's a two mile commute, there's no need to overthink things. I would just get a pair of these and be done with it:
https://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Alloy-P...dp/B002BW3HKU/

Toe clips you can remove, reflectors, reasonably lightweight, won't look completely out of place on a road bike. They're similar to the Wellgo pedals you found at REI, but less expensive especially considering toe clips are included.

Last edited by Dwayne; 09-18-13 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-18-13, 10:10 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I need two sets of the ones Dwayne linked right above.

I'm a "no clips, ever!" rider and need two new sets right now for a couple of bikes, but I don't like the ones with the little allen-head set screws sticking up out of them. A couple people told me they will rip up your legs if they come in contact with your skin. I mentioned that to an employee in a bike shop recently. He was wearing shorts and pointed down to the back of his legs and said, "Like this?" He was all scarred up from them.

I don't claim to have pretty legs but I prefer not to bleed any more than necessary.

I found a cool-looking set of pedals at a local REI store but didn't buy them after getting the strong-arm sales pitch to join their club from not only the cashier I went to but two of her colleagues (cult members?) who overheard our conversation and came running over to try to close the deal.

I'm still tempted to go back and brave the commission-hungry recruiters just to snag a set of these: https://www.rei.com/product/752213/we...14-city-pedals
Old 09-18-13, 10:54 AM
Rocky_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I was not expecting so many replies. Thank you all for the great suggestions. You are probably right about not needing those toe clips, things just get a little slippery in the winter but if I have one of those pedals with the studs then that shouldn't matter too much. I'll be wearing thick shoes, I'm not a converse kind of a guy.
The biggest reason I'm not digging the giant platform pedals is because I take sharp turns and it's nice not to have the pedal protruding out a significant amount. I used to have what Dwayne posted so I'll probably go with those, or a hybrid pedal as jrickards suggested.

@Squeeze - Those pedals certainly will work in ideal riding conditions but I would be careful of putting too much power to the pedal when it's wet out without the stabby stabby's to grip your shoes.
Old 09-18-13, 11:07 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Agreed about wet conditions with those. Some reviewers mentioned that as well. But they look so comfy! I know that's silly, but fortunately I live where it seldom rains. I'll probably never buy them but figured I'd mention them in the platform pedal thread anyway. They'd be perfect on a beach cruiser with bare feet.
Old 09-18-13, 11:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,603 Posts
i use these on my city bike https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...g-236g-pr.html

Old 09-18-13, 11:18 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I run pinned platform pedals on my MTB similar to the Wellgo MG-1's posted by @cat above. Yes they can tear up your legs if you're not careful, but I very rarely have that issue. The upside is that your shoes will stick to the things almost like they're clipped in. And they WILL NOT slip off when wet, ever.

I've used them plenty of times with stiff-soled flip flops and never had a problem, other than my flops are quite old and the pins have torn up the soles a little bit. But I don't care.

I just put a set of the Wellgo's like you posted from REI above, on my wife's bike, and those seem work pretty well for her and have good build quality. And they're actually even lighter than the stock plastic platforms that came with her bike!
Old 09-18-13, 11:22 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky_Bike
The biggest reason I'm not digging the giant platform pedals is because I take sharp turns and it's nice not to have the pedal protruding out a significant amount.
Right turn = right pedal up, left pedal down
Left turn = left pedal up, right pedal down

Advanced moves:
Right turn = lean bike to right, lean body to left overtop the bike
Left turn = lean bike to left, lean body to right overtop the bike

Reason, shifts centre of gravity back towards the tires and closer to the vertical point over the patch of contact between the tire and ground. I found it to be a bit disconcerting to do this but am getting used to it.
Old 09-18-13, 11:54 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Agreed about wet conditions with those. Some reviewers mentioned that as well. But they look so comfy! I know that's silly, but fortunately I live where it seldom rains. I'll probably never buy them but figured I'd mention them in the platform pedal thread anyway. They'd be perfect on a beach cruiser with bare feet.
And when it rains, pedals are the least of your concern (looking at your location, not far from Boulder, CO).
Old 09-18-13, 11:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
Foot retention isn't necessary, but some of us prefer it whenever it's available. It becomes a habit, and it's pretty harmless as habits go.

I happen to like these pedals and their ilk. They're SPD on one side only. On the other side, you can use street shoes. They are weighted in such a way that you can choose the side you want by flipping it forward or back. I get in quickly almost every time with no fumbling.

Nowadays, when I buy shoes, even shoes that will not be primarily for cycling, I try to buy SPD shoes. I have about four pairs of SPD shoes of various types. One is a racing shoe, one a hiking shoe, one a running shoe, and another is a sandal. Actually, I have two of each of the above, since I have two feet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-18-13, 01:33 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Originally Posted by Dwayne
And when it rains, pedals are the least of your concern (looking at your location, not far from Boulder, CO).
Well, given the recent tragic flooding in Colorado, I guess my comment looks silly. However, it's true. We get less than 20 inches of rainfall annually. I lived on the East Coast for most of my life, including several years at the beach, so I know what a “day of rain” is like, or even a whole week. With the exception of recent rain, that doesn’t happen here very often.

I don't even have fenders on my commuter bike. Will that get me banned from here?

Last edited by Squeeze; 09-18-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 01:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
REI pedals are not very large if you have big feet you might prefer bearclaw, I saw them recently on the forums, they look awesome.

I prefer plastic 1/2 clips aka mini clips w/o straps
Old 09-18-13, 01:55 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those Nashbar pedals have the same idea as the Shimano A530 that I love. It's almost too nice to be able just jump on the bike to the corner store and back with any shoes laying around and not worry about clips and straps screwing them up.

I just ordered (not here yet) some M520s that are double SPD and come with a plastic platform that "clips" in when you want it. They were quite a bit, relatively so, than the A530s.

If they don't work so well, I might try the Problem Solvers platform on them. I guess I could sell them with the pedals and buy some more A530s if all else fails!!
Old 09-18-13, 06:34 PM
Rocky_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the Boulder area too. I actually lived right next to Boulder creek last semester and have kayaked down it a few times when it is more lively. Was a little too lively the past week... It's still crankin away too, just not at flood status.
@gregjones - The Nashbar's are incredibly light too, the lightest platform I have found yet too. Only 228 grams!
Old 09-18-13, 11:51 PM
rms13

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I got some GT bmx pedals for about $12 for my commuter and they are great:

https://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/goods...on-pedals-9-16

Or if you want foot retention there are "normal" shoes that are spd compatible

https://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/footwear/city-spd

https://www.dzrshoes.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.