Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Who knows the real deal on The Copenhagen Wheel?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Who knows the real deal on The Copenhagen Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 04:34 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
People who ride electric bikes really belong in a Prius. I see them occasionally with a smug look on their face, pretending to be pedaling. Who are they kidding...a little sweat isn't going to kill you.
A few perhaps, but most I'm aware of use it primarily for getting up hills when they have a heavy load or, for a few older or disabled folks, to allow them to get out and ride at all. I am though a big supporter of strict limits for those used on bikeways, like being limited to tapered assist only (eg, no throttle) and no assist beyond 15mph.
Old 01-19-14, 05:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5907 Post(s)
Liked 2,776 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Currie's has quietly been on the market for a few weeks. Rather than get ahead of themselves with marketing they appear to be planning to get ahead with actual product in peoples hands (or on their bikes) and then do the heavy marketing.

https://www.currietech.com/electron-wheel/
I think once this and the C-wheel are out you'll see an acceleration of development. I like that it's afront wheel which is a simpler install, and combining a slope sensor with an input torque sensor makes sense.

However, I'm not thrilled at all about a front disc wheel which can become very problematic in crosswinds (why disc's aren't used up front anymore). I think it only get better from here.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-19-14, 05:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I seem to recall the US, and the Soviet Union putting peeps into space as far back as the early sixties...
His point was that we don't have the will or the ability to anymore.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-19-14, 05:20 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Currie's has quietly been on the market for a few weeks. Rather than get ahead of themselves with marketing they appear to be planning to get ahead with actual product in peoples hands (or on their bikes) and then do the heavy marketing.

https://www.currietech.com/electron-wheel/
Because that's a front wheel it will be difficult for them to implement a proportional assist like a rear powered bike could. It's also for 26" wheels only which eliminates road bikes. Regenerative braking would also be more complicated to implement.

I've no idea if the Copenhagen wheel will succeed but, on paper, it is a far better deal than the one from Currie. Frankly, I think they'll have trouble becoming profitable selling the wheels at $800.
Old 01-19-14, 05:21 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You're not serious?
Old 01-19-14, 05:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5907 Post(s)
Liked 2,776 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Because that's a front wheel it will be difficult for them to implement a proportional assist like a rear powered bike could. It's also for 26" wheels only which eliminates road bikes. Regenerative braking would also be more complicated to implement.
The wheel already has a crank (input torque) sensor with wireless connection, so that's no barrier. Front wheel motor systems have an advantage because they're immune to changes in drive trains, allowing owners to more easily transfer the wheel to a new bike if/when they decide to.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-19-14, 05:39 PM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm not thrilled at all about a front disc wheel which can become very problematic in crosswinds
Agree. I wonder if they needed that much space (doubtful), thought it looks better (not sure I agree with their aesthetic sense :-), cheaper and fewer problems than having a super large diameter hub with short spokes (likely).
Old 01-19-14, 05:41 PM
gregf83 

The wheel already has a crank (input torque) sensor with wireless connection, so that's no barrier. Front wheel motor systems have an advantage because they're immune to changes in drive trains, allowing owners to more easily transfer the wheel to a new bike if/when they decide to.
It has a crank arm sensor to detect motion. I didn't see any reference to a torque/power meter which is considerably more complicated and would require the crank to be sent to the manufacturer. I suspect it's a simple accelerometer which allows them to turn the motor on when you're pedaling but it wouldn't implement a proportional torque output like they are planning on the C-wheel.

I'm not sure what you mean by changes in drive trains. Powertaps allow you to swap a freewheel for Shimano/Campy support.
Old 01-19-14, 08:26 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 201 Posts
I think this has been partially touched upon, but I see one big problem with add-on electric assist wheels that aren't part of a complete E-bike system: a bicyclist who can achieve speeds of 20-30mph and faster under their own power will almost certainly have gained the riding experience, confidence, and equipment needed to ride safely at those speeds in the process of attaining that level of fitness, but what about the unfit rider who hasn't been on a bicycle for years? And what if the bike they add the Copenhagen wheel to happens to be an old-bike boom model complete with flexy brake calipers and the 1977 stock original brake pads? Selling a motor to someone who isn't prepared to control a bicycle at speed makes them a danger to themselves and everyone else on the same route.

For the record, I'm especially wary of electric-assisted riders because I've actually been crashed into by one who didn't understand how to operate a bicycle on a roadway (lane position, turn signaling) and didn't have the handling skills or reflexes to steer straight when I shouted my alarum that he was veering directly into my path (leaving me nowhere to go but into the curb).
Old 01-19-14, 08:43 PM
gregf83 

I suppose but there is a lot more power and speed available to any rider the first time they go down a hill. New riders seem to figure it out and I don't imagine a little 250W motor is going to have much of an impact particularly when you consider there is no throttle. The only way to get any power out of the motor is to start pedaling. If you stop pedaling power stops, if you pedal backwards the motor will brake.
Old 01-19-14, 09:39 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I think the ability was never in doubt. My assumption is, that in the past few decades, there has not been an overriding commercial or strategic reason to send people into space. I notice a lot of unmanned probes going here and there however, questing for basic information in the service of science.
Old 01-19-14, 11:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

You're not serious?
Of course I am -- since retiring the Shuttle a couple years ago, we (the US) have no way to send people into space on our own.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-19-14, 11:46 PM
gregf83 

Of course I am -- since retiring the Shuttle a couple years ago, we (the US) have no way to send people into space on our own.
You have the ability, but not the desire.
Old 01-19-14, 11:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

You have the ability, but not the desire.
It doesn't matter how much know-how and desire we have -- we could not send a person into space tomorrow. That's the only definition of "ability" that counts here.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-19-14, 11:59 PM
gregf83 

It doesn't matter how much know-how and desire we have -- we could not send a person into space tomorrow. That's the only definition of "ability" that counts here.
Of course you could. It wouldn't be on a US made rocket but you would have zero problem sending anyone you wanted into space. I have the ability to drive into town even though I didn't build my own car
Old 01-20-14, 12:05 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
The age of manned space flight is basically over. Our technology has made it obsolete. There will still be people going up, via some of the private ventures, but nothing like we figured would happen back in the previous decades.

M.
Old 01-20-14, 12:08 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Of course you could. It wouldn't be on a US made rocket but you would have zero problem sending anyone you wanted into space. I have the ability to drive into town even though I didn't build my own car
We can ask Russia or China if we can tag along on one of their trips, that's all we can do at this point.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-20-14, 06:14 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think once this and the C-wheel are out you'll see an acceleration of development. I like that it's afront wheel which is a simpler install, and combining a slope sensor with an input torque sensor makes sense.
Not a torque sensor; it only measures cadence. Combined with the slope sensor, you can adjust input based on grade.
Old 01-20-14, 06:18 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
By the way how many on this thread, have had to ride home into a Gale Force headwind to get home?
In Denmark, no less.
Old 01-20-14, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
wind power generators are a large % of the electricity generated in DK , for a reason, of course..

Pedal-electric bikes also sell in NL slightly south and west of the same North Sea.
Old 01-20-14, 05:01 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
The age of manned space flight is basically over. Our technology has made it obsolete. There will still be people going up, via some of the private ventures, but nothing like we figured would happen back in the previous decades.
This. No reason for people to go into space,just put up a satellite and let Hal do the work. We don't need anything on the Moon,or from Mars

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-20-14, 05:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Man, I don't know what you guys are paying attention to re: space, but here are some factoids.

The US interregnum in manned rockets is not due to lack of willpower, need, or funding. It is due to the big switch in policy from Bush 2 (Moon as prep for Mars) to Obama (asteroid mission) which has required the cancel and/or redesign of a lot of rockets and capsules. In addition the administration decided to fund development of new smaller launch vehicles intended for ISS missions rather than sending a huge one.

Constellation, which was going to Moon and then Mars was canceled as such. But the Orion capsule continued. Now it's supposed to be headed for asteroid exploration. The rocket is much like Ares V and for now is called SLS. This is a very big rocket, on par with Shuttle and Saturn V.

SLS-Orion's size makes it a bit silly for Station flights. For that, NASA now has two different companies providing cargo rockets, Antares-Cygnus from Orbital and Falcon-Dragon from SpaceX. Dragon is doing abort tests this year and might be flying manned by next year, though they didn't get as much as desired in the 2014 budget and I suppose might slow down.

Boeing and several other smaller companies are developing capsules or spaceplanes intended to launch on top of currently available rockets.

NASA's budget has not dipped.

It's not over.

(Far too off topic and far too close to home)