Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need to find a good deal on some wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 08:52 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm interested in the Enve 3.4's given what I have read about them but don't want to pay full retail. Anyone know where these or other high quality carbon wheels can be had good price? Did a search but haven't seen anything. Others here have mentioned that Zipps can frequently had for like half of retail. Where please? Thanks
Old 02-23-14, 09:26 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
AFAIK,there are no routine online deals on these as authorized dealers are required to comply with the manufacturer's pricing policies. Sometimes there are authorized sales (occasionally of previous year's models), and I've seen Zipps as much as 20% off at CC and, believe it or not, REI. Another potential option is through affiliation with an LBS as a team or club member, or some other sweetheart deal.
Old 02-23-14, 09:50 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Enve's are the hardest rims to find deals on. Good luck.
Old 02-23-14, 09:57 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitemax
I'm interested in the Enve 3.4's given what I have read about them but don't want to pay full retail. Anyone know where these or other high quality carbon wheels can be had good price? Did a search but haven't seen anything. Others here have mentioned that Zipps can frequently had for like half of retail. Where please? Thanks
I think you'll only find half off in your dreams. That's below wholesale. You can find slightly used Zipp wheels on ebay around half off occasionally, but unless it's really old stock, you won't find current model new wheels for that.
Old 02-23-14, 10:01 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Enve's are the hardest rims to find deals on. Good luck.
There's no need to put them on sale. the best products made sell well at full price.
Old 02-23-14, 10:14 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
If Zipps are half off, they are either used or fake.

You might check with some local builders and see what they can do with Enve rims and a wheelset
Old 02-23-14, 10:32 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderworks
I think you'll only find half off in your dreams. That's below wholesale. You can find slightly used Zipp wheels on ebay around half off occasionally, but unless it's really old stock, you won't find current model new wheels for that.
Originally Posted by StanSeven
If Zipps are half off, they are either used or fake.

You might check with some local builders and see what they can do with Enve rims and a wheelset
I got my 202s from competitive cyclist for $1899, then chainlove ran them for $1499 so I called and they refunded me the difference. They retail for like $2750 or so. It can be done, and they aren't fakes or used. Just got to be ready to pull the trigger when the good deal comes around. I originally got them on cyber monday, then chainlove ran them after Christmas so I was still inside their return policy to get the price adjustment.
Old 02-23-14, 10:38 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c_mack9
I got my 202s from competitive cyclist for $1899, then chainlove ran them for $1499 so I called and they refunded me the difference. They retail for like $2750 or so. It can be done, and they aren't fakes or used. Just got to be ready to pull the trigger when the good deal comes around. I originally got them on cyber monday, then chainlove ran them after Christmas so I was still inside their return policy to get the price adjustment.
I'll grant it's a nitpik on my part, but that's still not half off. Also, I remember the Chainlove deal. I'm pretty sure they were 2013 model wheels, not 2014. A great deal - no argument from me - and yes, when you find the deal, buy it. Pull the trigger if price is your primary driver for making purchasing decisions.
Old 02-23-14, 10:45 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I think you can get the stickers for most of these for around $50.
Old 02-23-14, 11:00 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Funny. Really don't care about the label, just want to get some quality wheels without breaking the bank. May ultimately look at the November Rails and I can get a pretty good deal at local Spesh dealer for the Roval CLX 40s if I can't find a deal on the Enve's
Old 02-23-14, 11:02 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
I'll grant it's a nitpik on my part, but that's still not half off. Also, I remember the Chainlove deal. I'm pretty sure they were 2013 model wheels, not 2014. A great deal - no argument from me - and yes, when you find the deal, buy it. Pull the trigger if price is your primary driver for making purchasing decisions.
Yep, same with Competitive Cyclist. The manufacturer has authorized sales like year end, last year models.
Old 02-23-14, 11:07 AM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah 2013s but my LBS wasn't able to get me 14s at the time and I couldn't justify paying full price for the 14s from eBay.
Funny. Really don't care about the label, just want to get some quality wheels without breaking the bank. May ultimately look at the November Rails and I can get a pretty good deal at local Spesh dealer for the Roval CLX 40s if I can't find a deal on the Enve's
Get the November wheels. I had their old set when they were doing open mold rims. They do a great job at building them up and their customer service is top notch. Jump in on their preorders and save even more money if you don't mind waiting. I did the preorder with a custom build, the wait sucked but they were great wheels and hte price was great. Novemeber is a great bang for the buck if you aren't concerned about brand names and bling.
Old 02-23-14, 12:21 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The November rails are at an attractive price --- There is a lot of chatter here and there about FLO wheels, which are reasonably priced, supposed to have good aerodynamics that comes at the price of additional weight. I do like how you can customize the FLO decals.
Old 02-23-14, 04:18 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I were in the market for carbon clinchers, I'd pick Boyd's new offering. Have his older open-mold , Boyd was great to deal with and the wheels were/are fantastic.
Old 02-23-14, 05:52 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought some Williams 38 carbon clinchers and had looked at Boyd and November. In the end, I figured they all have a good reputation and the Williams was a wheelset I could afford to replace more so than Boyd and November. I can always swing a set of aluminum hoops if I feel a need to not ride the carbon but I do not have a huge budget. I get my wheels tomorrow but will not have an opinion of ride quality until my new bike shows up. Interested in the rear hub Williams uses with 6 pawls with three teeth each and 60 ratchet teeth to engage into.
Old 02-23-14, 06:03 PM
GiantOCRC3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a set of Planet X carbon clinchers Christmas 2012. I currently have about 3450 miles on these wheels. Trued one time with a bike tune. They were $499 for the 50mm.
Old 02-23-14, 08:05 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Seems easier to do this. Buy some $300 wheels off Ebay from Taiwan and slap on some stickers. I doubt anyone at a glance would notice it's a fake.
Old 02-23-14, 09:47 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have a friend who rides the Williams wheels and is vey happy with them. And, nice to see someone who does not split infinitives!
Old 02-24-14, 10:18 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Chainlove has had Enve PowerTap wheels for as low as $1479. But they are tubulars and I think just 40mm rims, not the 3/4.

But you can probably find a great deal on some used ones. I paid $500 for a set of older Zipp 404s with tires glued on and an Ultegra casette, and I paid $600 for some Reynolds DV46 with tires glued on, three more brand new tires, and a box of a dozen tubes of Mastic.
Old 02-24-14, 10:37 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Enve 3.4 With powertap @ 20% off from my local shop. If you are local I can tell you where to get them.
Old 02-24-14, 05:05 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
I have a friend who rides the Williams wheels and is vey happy with them. And, nice to see someone who does not split infinitives!
I bought a set of Williams System 30's a few years ago and have been very happy with. They came in at 80 grams heavier than advertised but happens and for the $300 I paid for them, can't complain. I ride between 180-185 lbs. and have never had to true them. Hubs roll very smooth.
Old 02-24-14, 05:09 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get the November wheels. I had their old set when they were doing open mold rims. They do a great job at building them up and their customer service is top notch. Jump in on their preorders and save even more money if you don't mind waiting. I did the preorder with a custom build, the wait sucked but they were great wheels and hte price was great. Novemeber is a great bang for the buck if you aren't concerned about brand names and bling.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have read nothing but good things about them. But...the Roval CLX 40's are lighter at 1400 grams, I could probably get them out the door for $1,500 from local LBS and then I'd have local support for the wheels versus going with November being mail order. Any thoughts from others on this?
Old 02-24-14, 05:14 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's easy to find Zipp firecrests on eBay for under $1500.
Old 02-24-14, 08:40 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, I have read nothing but good things about them. But...the Roval CLX 40's are lighter at 1400 grams, I could probably get them out the door for $1,500 from local LBS and then I'd have local support for the wheels versus going with November being mail order. Any thoughts from others on this?
While any work or parts gotten locally would be on you, Novembers are built with standard spokes and nipples and whatever hubs you pick. If you like them better I would go ahead and get them.
Old 02-24-14, 09:46 PM
c_mack9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a 40 compared to a 54 and the hubs in the Novembers are probably better. My Tarmac came with some Roval alloy wheels that are pretty darn light for stock wheels but there's no comparing them to the 202s or the November 58s I had. I'm a spesh fanboy but there are better options out there for wheels, but on the other hand, they're local like you said, and 1400 grams is light, and you wouldn't have the wait time. Ask them if you can demo a set before you drop that much cash?