Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restoring / touchup paint advice needed- Jack Taylor Super Clubman pic heavy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 08:52 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Liked 350 Times in 117 Posts

Hi All,

Looking to get some advice on touching up some spots on a 1968 Jack Taylor Super Clubman. It has some minor surface rust and some chips throughout that I plan to attend to. There is also 2 small areas that have been primed on the seat stay. I don't want to repaint as the original flamboyant pale blue should clean up nice and like my bikes original. Any advice on paints that matchup with the JT colors? Prefer something that will work for small and medium areas? I know Bilenky does restorations and is a consideration. Below are some pics in its current as found state, plan to get after it today and shine up some parts, maybe tend to some rust. Any touch up advices is appreciated.

Here is a pic of the worst area

Old 10-04-14, 08:54 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,353 Times in 481 Posts
VERY cool bike..
Old 10-04-14, 08:58 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Beautiful bike. Unfortunately, that second pic of the top tube is a big ouch. In my limited experience on touch up, doing an area that large is going to be very tricky. As you know, you're going to have to scrape that rust and any bubbling under the paint, down to bare metal, prime and paint. And on an area that large, it is going to look quite funky if done with a brush. Though I suppose you could try it. My recommendation, FWIW, is an airbrush. But that is very involved too. And a LOT of work.
Old 10-04-14, 09:04 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,353 Times in 481 Posts
I would treat the rust and enjoy the patina. Most of the time (not always) touch ups look bad.
Old 10-04-14, 09:11 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
I agree, Sloar. Touching that place up just isn't going to look good.
Old 10-04-14, 09:12 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Liked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I would treat the rust and enjoy the patina. Most of the time (not always) touch ups look bad.

+1 An OA soaked towel or Barkeepers Friend will clean it right up.
Old 10-04-14, 09:31 AM
gomango

Liked 263 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
+1 An OA soaked towel or Barkeepers Friend will clean it right up.

Agreed.

I wouldn't paint it. Really tricky to get it right.

Thorough cleaning of entire bike in the off season and needed maintenance.

Get some new brake pads, quality tires and some bar tape. Perhaps cable housings.

Voila, a winner.
Old 10-04-14, 09:39 AM
nlerner

Liked 7,734 Times in 2,870 Posts
In some places, you can develop a color match with Testors model paint, but I agree that the top tube is too large an area to be inconspicuous. Treat with rust inhibitor (EvapoRust is good), then wax.
Old 10-04-14, 10:10 AM
auchencrow

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
... I agree that the top tube is too large an area to be inconspicuous. Treat with rust inhibitor (EvapoRust is good), then wax.
+1
Old 10-04-14, 10:22 AM
Vonruden

Thanks all!! The forum has spoken...love this place. Would you recoomend Bar keepers or Evaporust??
Old 10-04-14, 10:29 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Liked 426 Times in 285 Posts
Super neat. Terrific color contrast especially with those sporty Taylor graphics.

Me the odd duck
No doubt some purist would leave it as is but I'd go for a spray touch-up but not the entire top tube. Just enough to get the eyesore out yet wouldn't overdue the touch-up. There's plenty of other acceptable character flaws on it. If the entire top tube is done, its going to oddly stand apart from the rest of the bike. IMHO doubt many one would devalue a 'preserved' bike. My thought would be to make it look like it wasn't painted. Don't want the eye drawn to the repair.

If you have the patience and time, read on.

Just an amateur but if mine:
Would pull the fork and take it to a PPG or Sikkens auto paint supplier - scan or chart match. Wouldn't fully strip the paint on the top tube. Obviously the rest of the bike would be protected from overspray. I would also finely mask but very close to the better area of pin stripes. Being this would be a 'blend' process, a portion of the top tube would be left exposed. First, using a wax remover, top tube must be impeccable devoid of any oil or waxes. Then scuff using a 220 grit sand paper to just level the rough and raw areas to original paint surface elevation. Final scuff 320 grit. Definitely air-brush duty (Paasche) or small high quality touch-up sprayer. Start with a very light coat of grey tone primer - and only on the worst area - absolutely no thick or spray up to the masked area - . Keep it thin as possible. Ever so lightly sand the primed area with 320grit. Two part urethane paints today lay down nicely and cure quickly. Follow the paint suppliers spec / ratio data sheet to the 'T'. Finish spray with a fine nozzle using multiple light coats. Just get it to where it gets the pigment down and it feathers, blending to the original exposed painted portion. Avoid overdue doing it and know when to walk away. Let it fully cure per data sheet instructions.

(note: If into the belief of bake curing, first let the paint set-up for an hour before moving. Then pull the masking. Lay an old sheet in a vehicle to protect the interior, carefully prop set the bike frame inside, close the windows and leave the car outside in hot sunny day.)

After its 'fully' cured, expect the feathered / blended edges to have some minor work needed. With a high quality airbrush, probably should look quite good as is with very little over mist. But if so, ever so lightly sand with 1500 to 2000 grit - just enough to just get any of the over mist off. After all this, its time for rubbing compound. After that, is another quick swipe with wax remover. Match the white pin stripe and tie in with the original. Lastly, decide whether to clearcoat the entire frame. Pour a glass of scotch.
Old 10-04-14, 10:46 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,789 Times in 986 Posts
When did you get this?

That is SPECTACULAR!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-04-14, 11:20 AM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
When did you get this?

That is SPECTACULAR!
Thanks Crank Addict. You too Golden Boy. I picked it up last weekend from member 4x4xfar. I was willing to travel to the Philly area to pickup however it turned out his parents lived in the next town and he was visiting. I was trying to downsize, however too good to pass up. If not, I would be keeping the Peter Mooney frame I have for sale.

For now, I'm going to deal with the rust and ride. I do need a long 26.4 steel seatpost if anyone has.
Old 10-04-14, 11:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,789 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
Thanks Crank Addict. You too Golden Boy. I picked it up last weekend from member 4x4xfar. I was willing to travel to the Philly area to pickup however it turned out his parents lived in the next town and he was visiting. I was trying to downsize, however too good to pass up. If not, I would be keeping the Peter Mooney frame I have for sale.

For now, I'm going to deal with the rust and ride. I do need a long 26.4 steel seatpost if anyone has.
Congratulations!!

How on earth are you not taking a whole phone full of pix and posting them on every internet site that lets you?

Really, that is an amazingly special and a 'lifetime' find.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-04-14, 12:30 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Congratulations!!

How on earth are you not taking a whole phone full of pix and posting them on every internet site that lets you?

Really, that is an amazingly special and a 'lifetime' find.
Takes time to wade through 29 other "amazingly special" bicycles to get to this one.

This guy is loaded with keepers.
Old 10-04-14, 07:03 PM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by gomango
Takes time to wade through 29 other "amazingly special" bicycles to get to this one.

This guy is loaded with keepers.
Thanks Grady. I have had to part with some good ones to attain the newer ones. I tend to love em and leave em...keeping the ones that feel just right.

Trying out some Evaporust and Maudite...more to come

Old 10-04-14, 08:17 PM
vqstaphbeard

Bikes: AR Cycles Randonneuse, Raleigh Competition, VeloOrange Piolet Prototype, LeJeune Townie, Motobecane Campeur, AR Cycles roadie, Rickert track, Cannondale SM 500, '55 Schwinn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent find! Looking forward to the outcome. I agree with the masses and am a fan of original patina. I've not tried evaporust but have heard good things.
Old 10-04-14, 09:06 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
Very nice! Nothing bad enough to warrant touch up. Keep the spot oiled once the Evapo Rust is done. Blems. lend character.
Old 10-05-14, 01:21 AM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An ocassional wipe with EvapoRust after the initial derusting/rinsing will inhibit new rusting.
Old 10-05-14, 07:10 AM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome frame, love that blue on blue finish.
+1 on the Testor's model paint, might be able to procure a direct match at your local hobbyshop. 1 Testors Aztek Sky Blue Airbrush Color Paint 1 2 oz 14 7 ml AT415 | eBay

Are those Simplex Touriste chainrings ? I have a few laid in for an early Tourist, wouldn't have expected to see them on a '68 Super Clubman.

Hope she cleans up well & rides nice!
Old 10-05-14, 10:28 AM
inkandsilver

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing. Beautiful bike - and patina is no problem.
Old 10-05-14, 02:03 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 628 Times in 235 Posts
I applaud those who can look at digs and rust and call it patina. Perhaps I'm somewhat OCD but it bothers me on my own bikes. I'm all for the paint retouch. I have a cupboard full of different sprays and cans and often mix and match them. A sable artist brush, a plastic or metal cup to spray in and lots of patience pays off. Spraying in a cup works well because you have very thin paint but as it dries its thicker for nicks and voids. Multiple coats are usually required.

The 76 Supercycle and 75 Sekine were both done with GM sprays in this manner. A lot of the paints were purchased cheaply at FMs as outdated colors.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00531.jpg (101.1 KB, 149 views)
DSCF1117.jpg (101.8 KB, 147 views)
DSC00535.jpg (87.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 10-05-14, 02:25 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Liked 261 Times in 96 Posts
good luck. Mine is going to Bilenky.

pics make it look better than it is, by far.

Old 10-05-14, 02:28 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by -holiday76

Does Bilenky do the painting or does it go to Fresh Frames?

Any idea about ball park cost for a respray and decal set?
Old 10-05-14, 04:09 PM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by -holiday76

Please keep us posted, I may follow suit. What year or serial number is yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.