Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Did my first real structured interval ride today

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 07:52 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After stumbling on this article: Weight Loss | Bicycling

I decided to give this "interval" thing a shot. So I wrote it down on a tiny piece of paper, taped it to my handlebars, and away I went. https://www.strava.com/activities/346987646

Long story short but it kicked my butt. And I will be doing it a lot more.
Old 07-15-15, 07:57 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Oh yes..... I didn't read that article YET but I know intervals are awesome in a hateful sort of way.
Old 07-16-15, 04:27 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started doing intervals over the winter by doing SufferFest videos on my Spin bike... The results for me at least have been nothing short of amazing! I'm definitely now a big fan of HIIT!
Old 07-16-15, 06:53 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I know that article was an overview with a bit of specifics but to expand on a few things that I had read but found personally....

- My metabolism was elevated for a significant time after my ride therefore burning more calories than I normally would have on a ride.

- My strength went way up at the end of my weekend rides. I was able to keep a higher pace and have more kick at the end.
Old 07-16-15, 07:49 AM
sriley4290

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so in North Atlanta the roads I ride on are pretty hilly, not huge, but enough to make you work much harder. that is what I use as my intervals. I try to really push myself going up the hills and then rest going down the other side, or shortly after the hill on the straight away. do you think that is as good as the plan you listed, or at least feasible? where I ride there really isn't a lot of straight flat riding.
Old 07-16-15, 08:31 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
so in North Atlanta the roads I ride on are pretty hilly, not huge, but enough to make you work much harder. that is what I use as my intervals. I try to really push myself going up the hills and then rest going down the other side, or shortly after the hill on the straight away. do you think that is as good as the plan you listed, or at least feasible? where I ride there really isn't a lot of straight flat riding.
There is a tad more science in HIIT work-outs, e.g. duration of HI, duration of recovery, number of repeats, structure of those 45-60 minutes. Same with running interval training, it's not just fast and slow. A three minute ladder drill is a killer. I've been using Spinervals on a stationary bike and it's hard to imagine doing the same work-out on a moving bike, you'd need 15-20 miles of no stop, great road. Not a lot of that around here.
Old 07-16-15, 10:12 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you need a power meter, or at least a HRM to be able to do intervals correctly?

GH
Old 07-16-15, 11:01 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
HIIT is a great way to improve fitness and speed at the same time. IMHO it won't do squat for increasing your endurance......

You do not need a power meter or anything as perceived effort works just fine. HIIT does not have to be as rigid as #FrenchFit makes it out to be to work however the more structured it is the more likely and predictable improvement will be.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 07-16-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 11:09 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Don't you need a power meter, or at least a HRM to be able to do intervals correctly?

GH
I use a HRM and I believe a power meter would be almost crucial for a racer, but I've done intervals with intensity just based on perceived exertion. Last fall I followed the century plan in the Time Crunched Cyclist book. The intervals in that program were mostly longer "steady state" intervals and I estimated the level of effort for them. There were also "over-unders" consisting of two minutes under lactate threshold and one minute over. For those, I'm certain I was "over" when I was supposed to be. I had some measurable improvement using that program without HRM or power.
Old 07-16-15, 11:12 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
HIIT is a great way to improve fitness and speed at the same time. IMHO it won't do squat for increasing your endurance.
I think you're correct on that one.