Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

*Secure* Bike Check at Events

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 10:15 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I have very recently picked up a pretty pricey new bike - Cervelo R5 Dura Ace. Now, I'm starting to consider how to handle keeping it secure while traveling and at events. This is my first year of attending events and I've been pretty shocked to see how casually people with super expensive bikes and components leave them unsecured at events. They have more faith in their fellow man than I do most certainly.

My main question for this topic is what everyone's experience has been with what is referenced as *secure* bike checks at events? I'm going to guess that with what I've seen in terms of people leaving their $10k bikes with $3k wheels propped up against a wall unattended that the majority will say that there is nothing to worry about - it's *secure.* Is it? Is there any liability on behalf of the event if it's not and it was claimed to be possibly? Do they carry insurance for that maybe?
Old 09-10-15, 10:19 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I have very recently picked up a pretty pricey new bike - Cervelo R5 Dura Ace. Now, I'm starting to consider how to handle keeping it secure while traveling and at events. This is my first year of attending events and I've been pretty shocked to see how casually people with super expensive bikes and components leave them unsecured at events. They have more faith in their fellow man than I do most certainly.

My main question for this topic is what everyone's experience has been with what is referenced as *secure* bike checks at events? I'm going to guess that with what I've seen in terms of people leaving their $10k bikes with $3k wheels propped up against a wall unattended that the majority will say that there is nothing to worry about - it's *secure.* Is it? Is there any liability on behalf of the event if it's not and it was claimed to be possibly? Do they carry insurance for that maybe?
Motorcycle and Bicycle GPS Trackers - Spybike

These look interesting.
Old 09-10-15, 10:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I'm sure it has happened, but I've never seen or heard of a bike being stolen at a Century or similar event. I think your risk stopping at rest stops, or around the start of an event is pretty deminimus.

Park it with the other bikes, and keep an eye on it as best you can. Throw a lock on it when its on the car, and don't leave it on the car unattended other than short breaks where you're around the car.

And there are whole threads on here that explain why theft insurance for a bike is a lousy idea.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-10-15, 10:27 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
If you leave your bike in an area highly populated by other cyclists how would the potential thief know if you are no where in sight or you're the guy 5 feet away?
Old 09-10-15, 10:36 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,701 Times in 2,176 Posts
Depending on the event, this is where a 2d bike can come in handy; also you can get a cheap lightweight lock.
Old 09-10-15, 10:45 AM
andr0id

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've been doing cycling events for 40 years and never heard of a bike stolen from centuries or races.

I have read about an incident where bikes were stolen from a triathlon.
Old 09-10-15, 10:51 AM
HOWSER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
I've been doing cycling events for 40 years and never heard of a bike stolen from centuries or races.

I have read about an incident where bikes were stolen from a triathlon.
Happens all too often. Just this past summer we had a Cervelo stolen off the back of a car at a crit. The woman walked away for just a moment and it was snagged that quick. Was attached to her rack, not locked. I occasionaly her about bikes being stolen from the transition areas at Tri's too. Now that's brave!
Old 09-10-15, 10:53 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A secure bike check at an event might be like the transition zone in triathlons. Before you take your bike in, you have to put a sticker with your race number on the bike. In order to get the bike out, the number on the bike has to match your race number. They also won't let anyone into the transition zone who doesn't have a race number.

Thefts do happen at events, and it sucks. A couple years ago, a race director here had his bike stolen at a cyclocross race. It was probably someone who came in from out of town because the cycling community around here is pretty tight and word went out fast. As far as I know, it has never shown up at any of the local bike shops. However, a bunch of people chipped in $10-20 bucks each and bought the guy a replacement bike.
Old 09-10-15, 11:05 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Depending on the event, this is where a 2d bike can come in handy; also you can get a cheap lightweight lock.
+1

It is very easy to hide a 2d bike since you can easily slide it into a narrow crack and you can take advantage of it only being visible on one plane to hide it from view of most people.
Old 09-10-15, 11:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts

The question of insurance might become irrelevant, depending on the verbiage contained in the liability waiver that you will likely sign before participating in the event.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-10-15, 11:40 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
I've seen those while searching recently. Seems like a guy on here said he used a pet tracker of some sort to do the same thing. I need to do a search on that.
Old 09-10-15, 12:03 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
I was asked to do a bike check at a non-bike event this weekend, I think. I don't know if it will happen though. I could imagine some events would deal with bikes like a coat check. Check in the bike. Get a ticket. Check out the bike with the ticket.

The one race I went to last year was a cargo race. Once one got inside the "gate", I assume it would be frowned upon to take the bike back out until the start of the event, not that it couldn't happen. But, it meant that everyone was lounging around inside a fenced field with or without the bikes.
Old 09-10-15, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,198 Times in 7,603 Posts
Originally Posted by HOWSER
Happens all too often. Just this past summer we had a Cervelo stolen off the back of a car at a crit. The woman walked away for just a moment and it was snagged that quick. Was attached to her rack, not locked. I occasionaly her about bikes being stolen from the transition areas at Tri's too. Now that's brave!
While a somewhat different scenario since the bikes were left unattended for longer, five people had expensive bikes lifted from camp during the 2012 edition of Cycle Oregon at the end of the penultimate day of the event. We camped in a park on the outskirts of Klamath Falls, OR, a town that has seen better days. There was a public road bordering the camping area, which I am sure made things easier.

It comes down to situational awareness. Those of us who tour and are not of the mindset that there is a thief waiting behind every tree understand that. If I am doing Cycle Oregon and the lunch stop is in a field in Middle of Nowhere National Forest I won't think twice about letting my bike out of my sight while I fuel up. If I do my club's century this Sunday, which starts in downtown Philly, the bike will stay with me all times at the start, but not at the rest stops out in the 'burbs.
Old 09-10-15, 12:47 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by RPK79
+1

It is very easy to hide a 2d bike since you can easily slide it into a narrow crack and you can take advantage of it only being visible on one plane to hide it from view of most people.
Sometimes a less expensive bike may be a viable option.
Old 09-10-15, 04:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
+1

Yeah, but the saddles are so uncomfortable.
Old 09-10-15, 05:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
If you leave your bike in an area highly populated by other cyclists how would the potential thief know if you are no where in sight or you're the guy 5 feet away?
Maybe they would watch people leave their bikes and see where they go?
Old 09-10-15, 05:19 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
+1

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Old 09-10-15, 06:10 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put it next to a more expensive bike?
Old 09-10-15, 07:24 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'm sure it has happened, but I've never seen or heard of a bike being stolen at a Century or similar event. I think your risk stopping at rest stops, or around the start of an event is pretty deminimus.

Park it with the other bikes, and keep an eye on it as best you can. Throw a lock on it when its on the car, and don't leave it on the car unattended other than short breaks where you're around the car.

And there are whole threads on here that explain why theft insurance for a bike is a lousy idea.
I agree. I've done so many events in the last 30 years that I'm adding a new room just for the t-shirts. I've never heard of anyone loosing a bike at a rest stop or what ever.
Old 09-10-15, 08:45 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Think "safety in numbers."
Secure bike checks are good for keeping bikes in order, so you don't have to worry about where you put it and whether it's in anybody's way. Any sizable, close collection of bikes with riders coming and going is reasonably secure from theft. What's most vulnerable is the straggler out by itself, regardless of what kind of lock is on it.
Old 09-10-15, 08:59 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i take my Specialized Tarmac Mclaren out I just tie a string with a bell on it. If some one steals it i will hear the bell, then i will blow my whistle and alert everyone around. Or as others said use a second bike. It makes perfect sense to buy an expensive bike and not use it and also buy a chepaer bike to use it.
Old 09-10-15, 09:20 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by r8dr_rider
snip . . . Or as others said use a second bike. It makes perfect sense to buy an expensive bike and not use it and also buy a chepaer bike to use it.
I've always liked having 2 road bikes. Sometimes you have down time on a bike, sometimes it's just good to have a 2d bike. If I were worried about security, I might take the less expensive of the 2 bikes. Lots of good bikes out there and price doesn't necessarily equate to quality. But YMMV and you may feel that what is more expensive is always better.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-10-15 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 05:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Park it with the other bikes, and keep an eye on it as best you can. Throw a lock on it when its on the car, and don't leave it on the car unattended other than short breaks where you're around the car...
This thread does re-awaken thoughts I have had at the few organized events I have attended, but I do as you do at the start and rest stops. However, if I drive to a ride, I keep the bike inside the locked car, either in the family station wagon, or a rental SUV. In particular I just don't like transporting my high end bike exposed to the elements, especially at freeway speeds.
Old 09-11-15, 07:47 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This thread does re-awaken thoughts I have had at the few organized events I have attended, but I do as you do at the start and rest stops. However, if I drive to a ride, I keep the bike inside the locked car, either in the family station wagon, or a rental SUV. In particular I just don't like transporting my high end bike exposed to the elements, especially at freeway speeds.
This.

One of the main reasons we bought a van was so we could keep our bikes securely locked up inside to deter thieves. The one bike theft experience was because our bikes were beside the van, unlocked in a camp ground in a town where "nothing like that ever happens here". We've transported bikes on a rear rack since then, but only to get from one state to another, with a total of four bikes inside the van and four on the rear rack. There was a heavy-duty stainless steel chain and locks for it and the linchpin holding the rack on the towbar. Bike theft makes one paranoid like that.

Footnote: We eventually got the stolen bike back, three years later and after a happy coincidence while scanning through eBay.
Old 09-11-15, 08:03 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
My main question for this topic is what everyone's experience has been with what is referenced as *secure* bike checks at events?
I don't recall ever seeing a secure bike check at a century.

I'm going to guess that with what I've seen in terms of people leaving their $10k bikes with $3k wheels propped up against a wall unattended that the majority will say that there is nothing to worry about - it's *secure.* Is it?
Uh.... no.

Is there any liability on behalf of the event if it's not and it was claimed to be possibly?
Uh.... no.

Read the fine print. They aren't liable for anything.

Do they carry insurance for that maybe?
Maybe. Maybe not.

My rule of thumb is, don't buy a bike you can't afford to replace. I don't think I'm the only one who follows that maxim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.