Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of Butt pain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 06:07 PM
Bucknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I was an avid mtn biker and road rider a few yrs. Ago. I have taken a long hiatus and i am just now getting back into it. My first mt.bike ride (in a long time) over the weekend was exciting,my only issue is my Butt seems to hurt like it has never done before, the muscles are sore right where I'm positioned on the saddle. I have a specialized fitted saddle that I had loved yrs. Back. Can anyone give me some insight or tips on how to improve the "pain in the butt" so I can get back out and ride? Thank you for your time.
Old 08-15-16, 06:14 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Before you start spending money on new saddles and clothes just ride some more and see if your body adjusts. May just need a re-adjustment period after being off the bike for a few years.
Old 08-15-16, 06:27 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
Before you start spending money on new saddles and clothes just ride some more and see if your body adjusts. May just need a re-adjustment period after being off the bike for a few years.
Agree. Ride a few more times and give your rear time to adjust to being used again. Just like if you were a runner and stopped for a year, your legs would most likely be sore the first or second time out after a long hiatus.
Old 08-15-16, 06:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7677 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 1,875 Posts
Oh ... i thought this was a thread about divorce ....
Old 08-15-16, 07:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Sounds like ordinary sore muscles. Do some stretches after each ride. Easiest are lying flat on your back in bed or on the floor, grabbing under the knee and pulling the thigh to the chest. Hold a few seconds, repeat with both legs several times. The other is just crossover stretches, also easily done in bed.

There are other stretching exercises but those are the easiest and most effective for me to relieve lower back soreness and spasms.

Opinions differ about stretching before rides. Some theories claim it can weaken muscles. I do occasionally stop and stretch during rides, but that's to relieve spasms from old neck and back injuries. Mostly I stretch after rides. Helps since I ride only 2-4 times a week.
Old 08-15-16, 10:05 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
As you get back into riding, go for frequent short rides rather than fewer but longer rides. Give your backside time to adjust to the saddle and ease into your new activity.

Depending on how long it's been since you rode with any degree of regularity, your body might have changed a little and you might need to adjust your saddle a bit.

You're not as young as you were back then, so your recovery time will be longer too.

-Kedosto
Old 08-15-16, 11:43 PM
Gyrine

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestions:
1. Make sure the saddle height and set back are correct. Your body could have changed from "years back."
2. Check your position on the saddle. There are many posts on this forum that explain the "pelvis rotated forward" position. A sorter stem may also help with your riding position.
3. Make sure there is sufficient padding in your cycling shorts. Get new ones if not.
4. During any length ride, take short stints of peddling whilst standing to relieve the pressure in your butt and get the blood flowing. Short hills are a perfect opportunity to stand and get relief. Do this frequently enough and you may not get sore at all on your ride.
5. When all else fails, it's time to look at a replacement saddle. Again, your body may have changed.

I also like the suggestion above to try shorter rides; everyone's butt hurts on long rides.
Old 08-16-16, 12:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
First ... make sure your bicycle is set up correctly for you.
Old 08-16-16, 03:51 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The people who ride Brooks saddles for long distances are usually pretty particular about their saddles.
One gel saddle that gets a pretty good recommendation from that group is the Specialized Power Expert
Another is WTB Pure.
But also agree with those who say you have to get back in the saddle - there is a bit of desensitizing of nerves around our sit bones that just has to happen
Take some Naproxin or Motrin before you ride and see if that helps.
Old 08-16-16, 06:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 831 Posts
Based on my experience with having a tender butt, there are two possible issues at play. There are pressure soreness issues and there are friction soreness issues. For pressure issues, it takes a little time in the saddle and conditioning. I found that my butt needs a bit of dense padding on the saddle and a chamois that has dense padding. The friction issues can be dealt with by using a good quality chamois and using a good quality cream. I just rode RAGBRAI and found that my Nashbar cream wasn't up to the task. I developed very uncomfortable friction burns.

I suspect your issue at this point is pressure pain. Give yourself some time in the saddle. Failing that, try different saddles. Every butt is different.
Old 08-16-16, 06:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
After riding regularly all last summer and up until the end of October, after getting back on the bike this spring after a winter off, it took my bottom and hands a few rides to get back into shape. Give it a few more rides before going for anything drastic.
Old 08-16-16, 06:58 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
10 minute soak in Hot Water will help much.

Old 08-16-16, 08:00 AM
Bucknuckle

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies. I will see what happens in a few days.
Old 08-16-16, 08:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Butt getting hammered rather than just usual quest for perfect saddle for you, incomplete?

Add suspension seat post on a hard tail MTB when ridden off road where its rough?

dropper seat posts lower the saddle to be out of the way to use your legs as suspension.
Old 08-16-16, 11:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Eschew the hemorrhoid hammer DF frames and get some form of a recumbent bike or trike. Never have butt pain again.
Old 08-16-16, 02:42 PM
up on two

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we have all been down this road at our beginner stage, but I would get a real bike fit before you buy any saddles.
Pre-ride grooming is paramount to bottom comfort. Start with a clean backside, apply a little water based lotion, wear real riding shorts that are CLEAN and good hydration.
Then go ride, ride and ride until your bottom adapts to things.
In mtb riding, we will stand off the saddle and not get our butts slammed by the bumps. Most roadies I have ridden with, sit and take the jolts, which must also give them a lower back ache eventually and cause some sore butts too.
Old 08-16-16, 02:52 PM
CosmicF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, get your muscles used to riding again. When my wife and I got back into riding a year ago, she was convinced that the problem was the seat. She tried padded cycle pants, padded seats, etc... But, while my pain went away after a few rides, hers continued, because it was a chaffing issue with the padded layers. Once, I convinced her to give the seat a chance without all the gimmick stuff, she quickly got over the pain quickly.

Oh, and my butt looks great now, ha ha!