Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Road rage and dash cams

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road rage and dash cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 06:07 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Road rage and dash cams

I've just been watching some dash cam videos - hours of harmless fun... usually. Well, tonight I started on some road rage videos and it occurred to me that in the majority of the incidents filmed, the rage was actually started and fueled by the person with the camera. Sure, the other road user had done something daft, then responded to the rage and got heavily involved, but the rage was initiated and fueled by the camera operator.

Now the interesting thing is this. These road users (it takes all types) have not only filmed these incidents, but then posted them on youtube, apparently believing that they are in the right. Have they no understanding of their own behaviour?

Incidentally, I no longer watch bicycle cam footage, it usually upsets me.
Old 05-11-17, 06:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
I've just beenwatching some dash cam videos - hours of harmless fun... usually. Well, tonight I started on some road ragevideos and it occurred to me that in the majority of the incidents filmed, therage was actually started and fueled by the person with the camera. Sure,the other road user had done something daft, then responded to the rage and gotheavily involved, but the rage was initiated and fueled by the camera operator.

Now the interesting thing is this. These road users (it takes all types) havenot only filmed these incidents, but then posted them on youtube, apparently believing that they are in the right. Have they no understanding of their own behaviour?

Earlier this week I posted
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Nice video; makes me consider getting a camera. I too was astounded at the inconsideration of that driver.
I have those exact thoughts whenever I am passed, even when not too close by a motorist who does not slow down or move over slightly, just as an indication that they notice me. I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.
…How to get the message out? I find threads about what to say to a driver futile, since these are brief, often emotion-laden encounters, and often the cyclist makes a bad impression

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-11-17 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 06:55 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I've just been watching some dash cam videos - hours of harmless fun... usually. Well, tonight I started on some road rage videos and it occurred to me that in the majority of the incidents filmed, the rage was actually started and fueled by the person with the camera. Sure, the other road user had done something daft, then responded to the rage and got heavily involved, but the rage was initiated and fueled by the camera operator.

Now the interesting thing is this. These road users (it takes all types) have not only filmed these incidents, but then posted them on youtube, apparently believing that they are in the right. Have they no understanding of their own behaviour?

I must be an anomaly to you then, since I have never posted any of my commute videos online, and the videos are strictly for my gathering of far more detailed information on an incident; in my making of a report to law enforcement when the need arises.
Old 05-11-17, 07:09 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few years ago I was watching similar motorcycle videos. One guy in AZ uploaded a video of how many times he was cut off in traffic. Funny thing is that in nearly every case, he was the one riding in someone's blind spot. Yet he started the angry confrontations.

So it does go both ways.
Old 05-11-17, 07:18 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
A few years ago I was watching similar motorcycle videos. One guy in AZ uploaded a video of how many times he was cut off in traffic. Funny thing is that in nearly every case, he was the one riding in someone's blind spot. Yet he started the angry confrontations.

So it does go both ways.

In reviewing my videos, they have been useful in making me more aware of making certain adjustments to my riding style, which helped to lessen a number of incidents that I was having.
Old 05-11-17, 07:41 AM
55murray

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
Yep, definitely another one of the reasons I do not verbally engage with drivers. Past the heat of the moment, it seems any event is either partly or mostly my fault half the time. I was badly cut off a couple months ago in a bike lane by a driver turning right, but when I thought about it I realized that I was hanging in their blind spot for like a block and half. So now I make sure I'm not doing that.
Old 05-11-17, 08:22 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I too have noticed a correlation between those who post numerous incident videos online and excessive expressions of anger. I believe they're the anomaly, and its an expression of their personality that's exacerbated rather than caused by possessing a video camera.
Old 05-11-17, 09:34 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 254 Posts
Have they no understanding of their own behaviour?
I believe that this is the truth. There is a certain segment of the population which is completely incapable of seeing anything from any point of view other than their own. I truly believe that, no matter how egregious their behavior, they cannot view their actions objectively and they cannot conceive of the possibility that they might be wrong.

It is interesting to have an argument with one of these people - once. One quickly realizes, however, the futility of conversing with someone who is constitutionally incapable of entertaining any thoughts other than their own.

---------------
Old 05-11-17, 09:54 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I believe that this is the truth. There is a certain segment of the population which is completely incapable of seeing anything from any point of view other than their own. I truly believe that, no matter how egregious their behavior, they cannot view their actions objectively and they cannot conceive of the possibility that they might be wrong.

It is interesting to have an argument with one of these people - once. One quickly realizes, however, the futility of conversing with someone who is constitutionally incapable of entertaining any thoughts other than their own.

---------------
That characteristic is fully evident on the A&S sub-forum.
Old 05-11-17, 10:15 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I will watch bicycle cam footage. But not dash cam footage. Unless the driver who posted, thought they were totally in the right when they hit a cyclist.
Old 05-11-17, 10:20 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3409 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,902 Posts
An amusing incident happened here in CO a couple years ago.
A couple hicks in a motor vehicle were harassing a cyclist.
They got charged for their actions based on the video.

The funny part: The cyclist didn't have video.
The hicks took the video themselves and uploaded it.
(I don't recall if it was FB or Youtube)
Old 05-11-17, 10:27 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Hoisted by their own petard.

I so rarely get to use that expression.
Old 05-11-17, 12:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
I no longer watch bicycle cam footage
or it's really boring. including my own
Old 05-11-17, 12:41 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Hoisted by their own petard.

I so rarely get to use that expression.
Great expression. Thanks.

Old 05-11-17, 04:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
This.

I realized after watching my own videos from last year that I could improve some of my riding habits.
Originally Posted by dynodonn
In reviewing my videos, they have been useful in making me more aware of making certain adjustments to my riding style, which helped to lessen a number of incidents that I was having.
Regarding road rage videos, I usually check the original source before drawing any conclusions. TV news media often edit videos and take them out of context, and many YouTubers have learned that lesson well. So many videos are edited into propaganda or to manipulate viewers into clicking and commenting.

For example, the recent "CRV Lady" videos. Granted, she does appear to be a public menace. But in one notable video the TV station edited the dashcam video out of context. In the full original video it's clear the person recording the video overreacted and forced the confrontation by tailgating a driver she already knew to be reckless.

There's also a proliferation of self-appointed citizen journalists and cop-watch types. A few understand the concept of ethical reporting and how to record and report a story without becoming the story. Most don't. Too many CJs can't distinguish between noteworthy and mundane events. Others force confrontations, hoping to provoke cops, emergency responders, security guards, mall cops and private citizens into overreacting.

But I'd suspect most of us just record our rides for documentation in case of an accident, or injury that leaves us unable to remember the accident or unable to give statements or testimony. I delete most of my videos as soon as I get home because they're not interesting. I keep a few that record reckless driving. I use tags or keywords to make those easier to find later.

I don't upload most videos that show reckless driving (or reckless cycling by wannabe racers on the MUP). If I did I'd need to disable comments. YouTube is a troll paradise and I end up deleting most comments anyway.

Occasionally I'll keep the lo-rez version for a few weeks in case I need evidence to show what I was doing in an area (my camera records both HD and low resolution versions simultaneously). I often stop to photograph stuff along my rides -- wildflowers, interesting scenes, whatever. If some paranoid farmer, rancher or passing motorist reports some odd looking hippie dude lurking and spying on wildflowers I'll have video to show what I was doing. I tag those "junk" or "delete" and clear 'em out after a few months to make room for new videos on my external server.
Old 05-23-17, 01:23 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since adding cameras, I (believe that I) ride safer and more courteous than I did without.
Old 05-23-17, 01:57 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
Since adding cameras, I (believe that I) ride safer and more courteous than I did without.
I have no interest in having a camera, but my wife has mentioned it a few (pestered) times as a "good idea", and I might end up with one. The company I drive for is in the process of installing cameras in the trucks.

I don't believe it will change how I ride or drive as safety is already my primary concern, and if it were to motivate me to behave poorly, I would get called out on it very quickly..

I think the issue is those people who need attention, and suffer from anger manager issues, or are professional provocateurs.
Old 05-23-17, 02:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
That alone makes it worthwhile. I'd probably be tempted to go balls to the wall and emulate some Premium Rush cut scenes just to get a rise out of my wife, which is objectively a bad idea so that's out for me.
Old 05-23-17, 04:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Maybe that is the reason your claims have little to do with cycling.

Language Warning in some videos!