Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

long sleeve jersey's for hot weather - your favorites

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

long sleeve jersey's for hot weather - your favorites

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 02:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 565 Posts
No one mentioned this one Mens Long Sleeve Coolmax Jersey so I ordered one to try out. Fabric is a bit scratchy and their sizing chart is no good unless you like your jerseys loose. Said 38-40 chest is a large so that is what I got and should have gotten a medium as I like things to fit snug. Rear pockets are really wide but fabric is pretty stretchy so I think putting much weight in them would have them hanging low.

I'll try it out this weekend and see how it does in the sun/heat.

Last edited by Ogsarg; 07-26-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 11:35 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I don't like loose, scratchy, and ill-fitting jerseys so I wear sun sleeves by Specialized...apparently 30 SPF and the thinnest without being practically sheer. They do work since my arms get dark super fast and with these on, that process is significantly sower. I have started to put some good sunscreen on my arms too too.

I still have some white looser jerseys I got from Performance once but I keep those for the 70s. As with anything from Performance I have tried, the material and fit is subpar.
Old 07-26-17, 08:10 PM
Pedal Wench

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boure makes nice long-sleeved SPF jerseys - scroll down to the bottom of the page to see all the different styles: Sun Protection Cycling Clothing - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

For women, the Terry Soleil jerseys are remarkably soft and lightweight.
Old 07-28-17, 05:53 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I tried on some Rapha ones today...holy moly! Their Flyweight and Lightweight jerseys are incredible...thin, good snug fit, comfy, can't feel any seams at all. I bought a Brevet Lightweight jersey but the Pro line has some incredible stuff and I'm tempted to pick one up for the really hot/sunny days. Of course...not value priced at all.
Old 07-29-17, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I tried on some Rapha ones today...holy moly! Their Flyweight and Lightweight jerseys are incredible...thin, good snug fit, comfy, can't feel any seams at all. I bought a Brevet Lightweight jersey but the Pro line has some incredible stuff and I'm tempted to pick one up for the really hot/sunny days. Of course...not value priced at all.
The trick is finding lightweight, thin, breathable jerseys that offer sun protection though. Otherwise, what's the point of wanting a long sleeve jersey for hot weather.
Old 07-29-17, 12:20 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Short sleeve jersey + arm coolers from Ebay for like $4 a set. When I mountain bike I use the ones with the hex pads in the elbows. I can't see the advantage of using a one piece long sleeve jersey. Maybe someone can set me right.
Old 07-29-17, 02:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Jiggle
Short sleeve jersey + arm coolers from Ebay for like $4 a set. When I mountain bike I use the ones with the hex pads in the elbows. I can't see the advantage of using a one piece long sleeve jersey. Maybe someone can set me right.
1 piece is easier than 3. I also have 1-piece jackets, 1-piece bib tights, and 1-piece helmets.
Old 07-29-17, 02:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
1 piece is easier than 3.
Sure, but it's also less versatile and more expensive.
Old 07-29-17, 02:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sure, but it's also less versatile and more expensive.
But OP isn't looking for versatility or to potentially save money. He wants a long sleeve jersey for hot weather.

If this fits the OP, I have this jersey and it's great for warm weather.
https://www.geartrade.com/item/47355...ck-xl-like-new
Old 07-29-17, 02:59 PM
WhyFi

But OP isn't looking for versatility or to potentially save money. He wants a long sleeve jersey for hot weather.
Was I responding to the OP? Were you responding to the OP? "No" on both counts.
Old 07-29-17, 03:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Was I responding to the OP? Were you responding to the OP? "No" on both counts.
It's called "context".. typical BF thread though, someone asks for recs on long sleeved hot-weather jerseys, and I'd guess more than half the posts are about sun sleeves, long sleeve tshirts, and there's some other stuff about sweatbands.
Old 07-29-17, 03:31 PM
WhyFi

It's called "context".. typical BF thread though, someone asks for recs on long sleeved hot-weather jerseys, and I'd guess more than half the posts are about sun sleeves, long sleeve tshirts, and there's some other stuff about sweatbands.
Lol - except that's not at all the context of the exchange. "Context."
Old 07-29-17, 03:33 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
There doesn't seem to be much market supply of long sleeved hot-weather jerseys. Perhaps there's not much demand. Unless one of the few options fits what you'd what to wear, you've got many more options combining any conventional jersey with sun sleeves or sun screen. None of the long sleeved jerseys recommended so far are appealing to me.
Old 07-31-17, 10:37 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
No one mentioned this one Mens Long Sleeve Coolmax Jersey so I ordered one to try out. Fabric is a bit scratchy and their sizing chart is no good unless you like your jerseys loose. Said 38-40 chest is a large so that is what I got and should have gotten a medium as I like things to fit snug. Rear pockets are really wide but fabric is pretty stretchy so I think putting much weight in them would have them hanging low.

I'll try it out this weekend and see how it does in the sun/heat.
I wore this on my 65 mile ride Sunday and it worked out well. Didn't notice being any warmer than a short sleeve and despite being out for 5+ hours, I had no noticeable tanning on my arms. I did put some sunscreen on in the wrist areas.

I'll probably get another one in Medium but this one, while on the loose side was pretty comfortable. The Boure ones look nice also but at 3X the price I may have to wait for a sale. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-31-17, 10:53 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Wait for Rapha's not infrequent sales. Sign up for the Rapha newsletter and take their occasional "surveys," which offer hefty discounts as a reward for wasting a few minutes.
Old 07-31-17, 11:55 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Wait for Rapha's not infrequent sales. Sign up for the Rapha newsletter and take their occasional "surveys," which offer hefty discounts as a reward for wasting a few minutes.
Rapha's got a sale on now, including the flyweight jersey for $135.
Old 07-31-17, 12:03 PM
Chandne

For whoever reason, I find wearing thin sleeves and short sleeves cooler than full-sleeve jerseys. Maybe because the arms are thinner and a little more venting that way. I have started a recent love affair with Rapha but after buying some shorts, jersey, and jacket, I'm going to wait a few months. Thanks for the tips on their sales.
Old 07-31-17, 04:03 PM
drat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
Boure makes nice long-sleeved SPF jerseys - scroll down to the bottom of the page to see all the different styles: Sun Protection Cycling Clothing - Bouré Bicycle Clothing
I would second that. All my bike clothing is from them. I wear the long-sleeved jersey by itself when it is hot and sunny and then as a layer under a jacket when it is cooler. In between you can wear the long sleeve under a short sleeve and still keep the sun off your arms. They are also very cooperative at adjusting things like sleeve length.

I think Boure is also making "sol skins" for knee protection from sunburn, but I find them a little hot and uncomfortable.