Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I bought real Oakley cycling glasses, right?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I bought real Oakley cycling glasses, right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 01:27 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Pfffffffffffffhahahhahahahah

You seriously are comparing fake/real sunglasses to the difference between Walmart bikes and high end road bikes? Oh man, that's a good one, thanks for the laugh!
People that weren't into bikes or lacked knowledge about them would laugh that you think there's a difference between Walmart bikes and high end bikes.

You're only laughing on the outside
Old 08-10-17, 02:45 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
A photographer, specifically a good one, telling me about the quality of an optic based on real world experience holds more value to me than some online geek quoting me statistics done on an optical bench. So run along now and go read up DXO optic testing or the latest hi-fi magazine test on the latest "High End" $2000 cables.
I have been around lots of great photographers, and most of them couldn't care less about sharpness of lenses past a point. Their number one priority is light, subject matter and composition. I don't care about DXO, and am not an optics geek. I know a bit about them, and I called you on your BS not because I care, but because you were being a jerk to another poster and claim some technical superiority based on your eyes, but that is BS. Now you run along with your bionic eyes, and put them to use.
Old 08-10-17, 03:01 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
I have been around lots of great photographers, and most of them couldn't care less about sharpness of lenses past a point. Their number one priority is light, subject matter and composition. I don't care about DXO, and am not an optics geek. I know a bit about them, and I called you on your BS not because I care, but because you were being a jerk to another poster and claim some technical superiority based on your eyes, but that is BS. Now you run along with your bionic eyes, and put them to use.
Glass (optics) superiority only matters when it comes to your eyes, always! I have Sigma Art glass that tests off the chart yet looks blah on a large screen. So yes, you can tell the superiority of glass by site alone, not some geek written chart or software that you and your fan boy subscribe to. Not interested in doing optics measuerbating that gets your approval. So run along now.
Old 08-10-17, 03:10 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Why do people with a shared interest end up being mean to each other?
Old 08-10-17, 03:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
It's freaking sunglasses, jeez. Just make the sun less bright. I don't need 100x markup for some giant "O" on my glasses. This reminds me of a Brian Regan bit. "This refrigerator keeps your food cold for $500, this one keeps your food cold for $800. This one right here...$1200, keeps your food cold!"

I wonder who I triggered by simplifying sunglasses into "make it less bright"? BTW, I have both real Oakleys, and Chinoakleys, and they are both fine. Yes, the real ones are better, but I ride all day in my fake ones with ZERO problems. Maybe I just have better eyes than everyone else?
Or worse!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-10-17, 07:08 PM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glass (optics) superiority only matters when it comes to your eyes, always! I have Sigma Art glass that tests off the chart yet looks blah on a large screen. So yes, you can tell the superiority of glass by site alone, not some geek written chart or software that you and your fan boy subscribe to. Not interested in doing optics measuerbating that gets your approval. So run along now.
Again certainly no fanboy, I don't have any software. I have no charts and I don't really care. My favorite lens is a Canon 24-105, which will certainly win no sharpness contests. You were being a jerk and arrogant. There is a big difference between camera lenses and telescopes vs comparing high end non magnified eyeglasses. I am not going to argue that fact with you, but any difference between high end manufacturers of cycling glasses will be subtle at best barring a defect. That is a fact. I am done with you and this thread as I have highjacked the crap out of it. If you are going to be rude when someone asks you a question at least have a legitimate reply.

Good day sir
Old 08-10-17, 07:08 PM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Why do people with a shared interest end up being mean to each other?
It is the internet man. Nature of the beast I guess.
Old 08-10-17, 07:21 PM
Myspokeisabroke

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is some great advice here, some good questions, and a lot of ego BS. In another place, there is a forum or blog or web page dedicated to optics, light, transmission, propagation, and human eyeballs. Testing and results by a qualified individual with data. I found one long ago regarding hunting rifle scopes. Zeiss, Nightforce, Swarovski, then Leopold and Vortex. Then all the cheap crap that works but is inferior. So far, this thread sure ain't it.
Old 08-10-17, 08:49 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
Again certainly no fanboy, I don't have any software. I have no charts and I don't really care. My favorite lens is a Canon 24-105, which will certainly win no sharpness contests. You were being a jerk and arrogant. There is a big difference between camera lenses and telescopes vs comparing high end non magnified eyeglasses. I am not going to argue that fact with you, but any difference between high end manufacturers of cycling glasses will be subtle at best barring a defect. That is a fact. I am done with you and this thread as I have highjacked the crap out of it. If you are going to be rude when someone asks you a question at least have a legitimate reply.

Good day sir
Oh poor you. Stop playing a victim. All I said was the optics in my new POC glasses were superior to my Oakleys. I own both and the contrast in the POC Zeiss optics looks much better than my Oakleys. Do I have your permission to say that? What followed was some dude named Noodle Soup asked for proof. I replied the proof was in my eyes to which he countered with a laughing emoji. To my eyes is arrogant? Really? I need scientific testing to remark on the optics of cycling glasses? BTW this Noodle S*** had also attacked me on previous post regarding purchasing high end groupset from the UK. He works at an LBS and doesn't like someone posting good deals that are online. Explains a lot.
Old 08-10-17, 09:55 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Yesterday I was just riding along when some little kid riding the other way waved and said "Hi" and "I'm wearing sunglasses too". Honestly, what's the point in me buying genuine Oakleys if some little kid with his $5 sunglasses can't tell the difference?

PS in before the lock. Been a while since we've had one of those hasn't it?
Old 08-11-17, 12:51 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have Julbo Bivouak Sunglasses (Cameleon) sunglasses ..... I found these on a cyclepath.... highly regarded by mountaineers and people who ski

Brilliant, and never fogs up as it has slots in the lenses .... fits perfect as you can bend the earpiece parts to suit

It's category 2-4

if I lose or damage them, I will buy anoither pair
Old 08-11-17, 10:11 AM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh poor you. Stop playing a victim. All I said was the optics in my new POC glasses were superior to my Oakleys. I own both and the contrast in the POC Zeiss optics looks much better than my Oakleys. Do I have your permission to say that? What followed was some dude named Noodle Soup asked for proof. I replied the proof was in my eyes to which he countered with a laughing emoji. To my eyes is arrogant? Really? I need scientific testing to remark on the optics of cycling glasses? BTW this Noodle S*** had also attacked me on previous post regarding purchasing high end groupset from the UK. He works at an LBS and doesn't like someone posting good deals that are online. Explains a lot.
In that case perhaps I erred. I did not know you had history with him.

I actually laughed at the eyes remark myself. I thought it was funny.

The arrogant part was the list of lenses ect, run along pissy boy, but dead horse, over and done. Sounds like the guy is antagonizing you. Had no idea. Excuse my shorthand as too much time devoted to this thread.

Last edited by reef58; 08-11-17 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 11:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Stop playing the victim.

I attacked you? Oh poor you.

FTR, I do not work at a LBS(or work for Oakley).
Old 08-11-17, 05:58 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
The biggest problem I have regardless of lens quality is seeing the road imperfections in the shady spots on a sunny day.

What's best for this?

This one really interests me. Does anyone have suggestions? It's brutal on mt descents when you go from full sun into a fully shaded turn. Around here it's fairly common to find gravel & larger stones on mt roads.
Old 08-11-17, 07:57 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
If the OP can tell the difference between those very high quality standards and cheap junk, then we agree, it matters. But it sounds like he can't because he posted here. And that was my question. If the cheap junk can't be discerned from "real", what good is "real"?
It's not the visual inspection that matters. What matters is when you're hit in the glasses by a rock and the cheap glasses show why they are cheap glasses. My eyes are worth the "real" Oakleys.

Last edited by longbeachgary; 08-13-17 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 08-12-17, 08:07 AM
Myspokeisabroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is " category 2-4" ?
Old 08-12-17, 01:23 PM
draganm
b*r*ly ridi*g

Bikes: Masi Evoluzione

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no intention of joining the "optical quality" war but is no one here bothered by the peripheral vision, as in "complete lack thereof" , from the cycling branded or general "sporting type sunglasses" catering to athletes? I just have a hard time with the need to turn my head 130 degree's to see the cement truck bearing down on me when I can see it with a quick glance thru cheap frame-less style glasses.
I've tried a a few different "cycling advertised brands" and they all feel like this.

I know this will probably lead to endless ridicule, but I really like these a lot, 3M outdoor safety glasses from Home Depot $6.50

Old 08-12-17, 01:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by draganm
no intention of joining the "optical quality" war but is no one here bothered by the peripheral vision, as in "complete lack thereof" , from the cycling branded or general "sporting type sunglasses" catering to athletes? I just have a hard time with the need to turn my head 130 degree's to see the cement truck bearing down on me when I can see it with a quick glance thru cheap frame-less style glasses.
I've tried a a few different "cycling advertised brands" and they all feel like this.

[I MG]https://www.rochellegriffin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bigstock-Horse-Racing-23476265.jpg[/IMG]

I know this will probably lead to endless ridicule, but I really like these a lot, 3M outdoor safety glasses from Home Depot $6.50

[IMG]https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400_compressed/7b/7b9031da-83f0-4867-b5a5-5f1a134d4d94_400_compressed.jpg[/IM G]
3 words: bar end mirror.

I wore Mike Homes branded safety sunglasses for a while. The 3M ones are nothing to frown at.
Old 08-12-17, 01:40 PM
draganm
b*r*ly ridi*g

Bikes: Masi Evoluzione

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
3 words: bar end mirror.
Certainly not averse to trying one, especially now with so many selfish A-holes texting and driving on the shoulder. Bar end mirror could be a life saver if you don't hear that quiet , aerodynimic car coming up behind, with you lined up on the license plate
is there one you can recommend. Light, sturdy, affordable?
Old 08-12-17, 01:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by draganm
Certainly not averse to trying one, especially now with so many selfish A-holes texting and driving on the shoulder. Bar end mirror could be a life saver if you don't hear that quiet , aerodynimic car coming up behind, with you lined up on the license plate
is there one you can recommend. Light, sturdy, affordable?
Sprintech's is my favorite. Have them for both my dropbar bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Roa.../dp/B01N33V0PC

You can also get left-hand only. They're not cheap, but they hold adjustment well and the optics aren't too bad (plastic reflector-so you don't need worry about shattering it.

For awareness of traffic NVM tinnitus, CatEars are also the bomb as well.
Old 08-12-17, 02:45 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
I ordered some Oakley's a few years ago from what looked like the real website. I got them in the mail. They were "Oakeys" and not even worth the postage. I got scammed and no recourse. I called the CC company. Charges were reversed.
Old 08-12-17, 11:31 PM
dim

Originally Posted by Myspokeisabroke
What is " category 2-4" ?
Cat 0 lenses are either clear or have a very light tint, they are used for safety glasses or spectacles where you need to see clearly what you are doing.

Cat 1 lenses are for casual use, used as a comfort filter in cosmetic and fashion eyewear.

Cat 2 lenses are the most common category to be found in sunglasses, for general use they provide good protection from visible light and from UV rays. This lens will have a tint which allows through less light than category 1 but more light than category 3 ( General Purpose, watching and taking part in sport)

Cat 3 - Provide extra protection from both visible and UV light. These lenses will usually only allow less than 20% of visible light to penetrate the lens. This means that they will block out 80%+ of light. (Open mountain ranges)

Cat 4 - Provide a high level of protection from visible and UV light. These lenses are not to be worn when driving as they are too dark. These lenses will allow less than 10% of light to transmit through the lens. They are to be used for specific situations only - not for a pair of everyday sunglasses. (High altitude trekking and mountaineering.)

so ..... ideally, you want lenses that automatically cover/adjust from category 2 through to category 4 (like the Julbo sunglasses)

Last edited by dim; 08-13-17 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 07:38 AM
Myspokeisabroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Dim !! I haven't noticed the ratings on eyeware so I'll look closer. About ready to get a good pair of eye for myself and GF.
Old 08-13-17, 07:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

so ..... ideally, you want lenses that automatically cover/adjust from category 2 through to category 4 (like the Julbo sunglasses)
Nonsense.

Transition lenses are great if light conditions change slowly, or if you aren't moving at a high rate of speed. They suck for fast descents with rapidly changing lighting.
Old 08-13-17, 11:05 AM
dim

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Nonsense.

Transition lenses are great if light conditions change slowly, or if you aren't moving at a high rate of speed. They suck for fast descents with rapidly changing lighting.
it's photochromic lenses

these are on my wish list

https://www.julbo.com/en/10/news/why...asses_738.html

and saying that, I have an old pair of Serengetti Drivers (with the brownish Corning Glass lenses) .... I paid a lot of money for these 15 years ago and they are brilliant for cycling long distance (they fog up for commutes though ... short rides where you start and stop often)

The new Serengetti lenses are now made of plastic .... my daughter has a pair for driving, and they are crap compared to my old pair

Last edited by dim; 08-13-17 at 11:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.