Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on 'fat bikes'?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

What are your thoughts on 'fat bikes'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 07:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
A fat bike would seem to be the SUV of cycling, since they can go most anywhere. They would make a great addition to any bike stable.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-22-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 07:59 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Liked 937 Times in 497 Posts
Shouldn't they be called full figured bikes or plus size tire bikes?
Old 08-22-17, 08:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
Curvy bikes.
Old 08-22-17, 09:00 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I'd like to have one, but I don't have any room for a Fat Bike in my storage building.

I don't know if I would ride a fat bike very often, so it's hard to justify the cost of buying a decent one with a good air fork.
Old 08-22-17, 09:55 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to assume you're talking about actual "fat" bikes, meaning 4-5" tires, and not the "plus" bikes that are all the rage now (3" ish tires.)

Fat bikes are FUN, but that's about it.

I've rented fat bikes a few times and went on the local trails in the winter. Let's get a few things clear here.
  • Fat bikes can't ride through any/all snow. (Anything deeper than 5 inches and you're stuck with all the rest of the mountain bikers.)
  • It's REALLY hard to pedal through snow.
  • Fat bikes can climb ANYTHING. I climbed the local sledding hill. (Without studded tires.)
  • They are SUPER stable, almost TOO stable. It's hard to lean them over into a turn. The stability is why going slow up a hill is so easy.
  • They have the best grip of any bike you'll ever ride. (Also makes climbing easier.)
  • They still suck on ice, and studded tires for them are hundreds of dollars.

Fat bikes do best on groomed/packed trails where there is less than 5-6 inches of snow. If the snow is super fluffy then you may be able to ride through something deeper, but if the snow has any decent moisture content, you're stuck like anybody else. The 4-5 inch tires just aren't wide enough to "float" "over" snow like skis/snowshoes do.

For me, fat bikes aren't useful enough to justify the high asking price. They can ride in SLIGHTLY deeper snow than a mountain bike, but only by 3-4 inches. That's a... very narrow window to justify spending $1000-$2000. They're awful on roads or anything smooth (even with the tires pumped up.)

And don't think I'm someone who has never ridden in snow. I've commuted through 5 straight Bozeman winters in -30--40 degree weather with tons of snow. It's easier just to ride a mountain bike with good studded tires.

Don't get me wrong, they're REALLY FUN, but too expensive. I ALMOST picked up two used locally for ~$500 and $650, but didn't have the cash spare at the time. That's about as much as I'd be willing to spend on one. (And they were nice ones too, the people just didn't want them anymore.)
Old 08-22-17, 10:00 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I'd like to have one, but I don't have any room for a Fat Bike in my storage building.

I don't know if I would ride a fat bike very often, so it's hard to justify the cost of buying a decent one with a good air fork.
You really.... REALLY don't need suspension with a fat bike.

It's all marketing hogwash. The tires are good enough suspension. Trust me.
Old 08-22-17, 10:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,070 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Fat Bikes do great on soft surfaces where regular bikes bog down.
They also do surprisingly well on stony, rocky trails by tracking straighter, smoother than bikes with narrower, higher-pressure tires.
^^^ this

They roll poorer on firm surfaces, and tend to fight the steering if you don't get the pressure right. Right now it seems like the 27+ bikes are becoming more popular. They're almost as good at the soft stuff while being more versatile and faster on more normal trail conditions.
Tire steering is an issue of tire choice, not fatbikes. I have Fat B Nimble tires for summer/gravel riding, these tires fight steering at low pressures (8 psi and lower) but are amazing to corner on black top with higher pressure (over 12 psi). However, my winter tires (Dillinger 4 studded), they run great on black top at 4 psi.

If I'd ridden a good Fat Bike a little earlier, I'd never have bought My 29er.
Whatever I could do on the 29er, I could also do with my 26". A Fat Bike though lets me ride stuff that simply isn't rideable on 2" tires.
+1

I'm a huge fan of my Pugsley, I've used it for an amazing variety of riding: snow, ice, gravel, ... I've biked places that no other bike could go. Fatbikes are trendy and some people buy them just for 'cool factor', but that doesn't stop them from being a great bike.

Riding across frozen Lake Minnetonka:
IMG_20170108_133856.jpg

Almanzo 100 gravel century:
65778889-Almz16-00430.jpg

Because gravel roads can look like this:
18952815_10109904000106315_6064482183691133482_n.jpg

Bushwhacking Nordic ski trails in the summer:
11870784_10153035788351444_6715689513545792265_n.jpg
Old 08-22-17, 02:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoGoGo
Hi Everyone,

I am a noobie here and just started looking into bikes. I was interested to get some thoughts about 'fat bikes'?

Are they a gimmick or do they serve an actual function?

Thank you all in advance! Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.
I've heard them compared to boats...it's better to borrow your friend's boat and return it than own one yourself

The only place where I can see that they excel would on soft sand surfaces and, maybe on some snow, although if the snow is that deep, I'd rather have skis.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-22-17, 02:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A fat bike would seem to be the SUV of cycling, since they can go most anywhere. The would make a great addition to any bike stable.

No, a mountain bike is the SUV of cycling. A fat bike is more like a rock crawler...it's best if you trailer it to the trailhead.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-22-17, 03:07 PM
Chuck Naill

Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I like to say that a Kona Sutra is the Subaru of bikes, go anywhere and do anything.
Old 08-22-17, 03:13 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, a mountain bike is the SUV of cycling. A fat bike is more like a rock crawler...it's best if you trailer it to the trailhead.
Nope, not in the least. I ride my Pugsley to all the local trails, summer and winter. My favorite trail is 10 miles from home (one-way), I ride to the trail every time. In winter conditions, I have a frame-mounted pump so I can dump air for the trails and pump it back up for the ride home.

Hell, I rode my Pugsley 20 miles to the start of the Westside Dirty Benjamin (100-mile gravel grinder) and road 20 miles back home.

I'm clearly not 'normal', but fatbikes are more diverse than most people give them credit.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-11-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 04:35 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
You really.... REALLY don't need suspension with a fat bike.

It's all marketing hogwash. The tires are good enough suspension. Trust me.
No. A half inch of undamped cushion from the tire is not the same as a properly sprung and damped fork. The bounce from the tires will do nothing to help you control the bike.
Old 08-22-17, 10:26 PM
MarcusT

Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
No. A half inch of undamped cushion from the tire is not the same as a properly sprung and damped fork. The bounce from the tires will do nothing to help you control the bike.
I went for a ride on my fat bike with friends on full suspension, gravel, sand, rocks, and water. I led the way most of the time. When we traded bikes, I was on the dually for 5 mins and I wanted my fatty back. Fatties do not replace suspension, but they are comfortable, and my friends all agreed with the fact they did not want to give it back.
Old 08-22-17, 11:01 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I went for a ride on my fat bike with friends on full suspension, gravel, sand, rocks, and water. I led the way most of the time. When we traded bikes, I was on the dually for 5 mins and I wanted my fatty back. Fatties do not replace suspension, but they are comfortable, and my friends all agreed with the fact they did not want to give it back.
I've been riding fat bikes for almost ten years now. They are fun, they have their place. They are not a replacement for suspension. And the need for suspension on a fat bike is dictated by the way it is used. Just like on a mountain bike.
Old 08-23-17, 03:40 AM
billyymc

Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Fat bikes are an extension of excellent marketing by bike companies. The same thing happened years ago in the whitewater kayak industry, and then in the ski industry -- companies convinced a lot of people that they needed at least six different boats or pairs of skis for specific conditions or they just weren't having fun.

They do a nice job ruining cross country ski trails.
Old 08-23-17, 05:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
...Right now it seems like the 27+ bikes are becoming more popular. They're almost as good at the soft stuff while being more versatile and faster on more normal trail conditions...
[ding, ding, ding...] We have a winner. " 27.5 +" tires are the more versatile choice. Plus, you get a bike that you can ride under varying conditions.
Old 08-23-17, 06:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by billyymc
Fat bikes are an extension of excellent marketing by bike companies. The same thing happened years ago in the whitewater kayak industry, and then in the ski industry -- companies convinced a lot of people that they needed at least six different boats or pairs of skis for specific conditions or they just weren't having fun.
Ummm.... Fatbikes aren't a new part of this n+1 thing... n+1 is as old as bikes.

Fatbikes are a fad, but that doesn't make them the wrong bike for the right person. I live in Minneapolis, we get lots of snow and ice, and we have great bike-specific winter single-track trails all around town. Anything less than 4" tires and you're stuck in the house riding Zwift (I don't hate Zwift, I just like the outdoors better).

Funny enough, when I got the Pugsley (gift from my loving wife), I didn't expect I'd like commuting with it since I had an old 26er with studded tires for winter commuting. Truth is, I only used the old winter commuter for icy days.

Only when morons don't know how to ride with the correct tire pressure. You'll never know I was fatbiking your Nordic trails, with the right tire pressure I leave no trace. (& I never ride in/near the classic tracks). And if you'd like to keep the fatbikes off the ski trails, help advocate for bike-specific single-track trails in your area.

Lastly, I see tons of people getting into the fatbike fad that are clearly getting sucked in the the marketing. So if you'd like to buy a fatbike, wait a year or two, there'll be a ton of lightly used fatbikes on Craig's List.
Old 08-23-17, 07:37 AM
billyymc

Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Ummm.... Fatbikes aren't a new part of this n+1 thing... n+1 is as old as bikes.

Fatbikes are a fad, but that doesn't make them the wrong bike for the right person. I live in Minneapolis, we get lots of snow and ice, and we have great bike-specific winter single-track trails all around town. Anything less than 4" tires and you're stuck in the house riding Zwift (I don't hate Zwift, I just like the outdoors better).

Funny enough, when I got the Pugsley (gift from my loving wife), I didn't expect I'd like commuting with it since I had an old 26er with studded tires for winter commuting. Truth is, I only used the old winter commuter for icy days.

Only when morons don't know how to ride with the correct tire pressure. You'll never know I was fatbiking your Nordic trails, with the right tire pressure I leave no trace. (& I never ride in/near the classic tracks). And if you'd like to keep the fatbikes off the ski trails, help advocate for bike-specific single-track trails in your area.

Lastly, I see tons of people getting into the fatbike fad that are clearly getting sucked in the the marketing. So if you'd like to buy a fatbike, wait a year or two, there'll be a ton of lightly used fatbikes on Craig's List.
HT - with regard to N+1, Fatbikes added another +1 opportunity that didn't exist. It's absolutely the same pattern as in ww kayaking and skiing. Some people buy into the "need" for a "quiver" of bikes or boats or skis. Some dont.

As for x-c ski trails - where I live we get about 12 good days of xc skiing a year. For some reason trail runners seem to think it's ok to run in the xc track. They don't know or understand or care about trail etiquette. Same goes for Fat bikes as far as I've seen. They ride right in the track. So rule of thumb is if you want to ski get up early and only expect one good day because runners and bikers are going to ruin the trails for skiing...once it freezes and sets back up after runners/bikes go through it's worthless.

My solution is go farther away, ski trails that are harder to get to.

I agree - there will be a bunch of fat bikes sitting in garages soon, and then on CL thereafter.
Old 08-23-17, 08:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

As for x-c ski trails - where I live we get about 12 good days of xc skiing a year. For some reason trail runners seem to think it's ok to run in the xc track. They don't know or understand or care about trail etiquette. Same goes for Fat bikes as far as I've seen. They ride right in the track. So rule of thumb is if you want to ski get up early and only expect one good day because runners and bikers are going to ruin the trails for skiing...once it freezes and sets back up after runners/bikes go through it's worthless.

My solution is go farther away, ski trails that are harder to get to.
It pains me to admit how few days we are getting for Nordic skiing, even in MN, our winters are mostly icy and cold - not much snow cover. In fact, that's why I dropped big $$ on studded fatbike tires, my old 26er frame cracked, so the only bike I could set up for icy riding was the Pug... and it is the ultimate ice bike!
Old 08-23-17, 08:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
if I had one I would use it:
  • during deep snow storms or right after
  • on softer sandy state forest roads
  • remote beach access points where I've hiked many miles to observe whales & seals. the slog on foot was always a significant project on foot
Old 08-23-17, 10:17 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Considering the history of fat bikes and how, where, and why they were developed no. They are not an extension of marketing. Yes, in a way they are the latest fixie- well, maybe gravel bikes are the new fixie now. And yes, there will be people who buy them and realize it isn't their thing.

But for a lot of us living in northern latitudes they open winter biking. And no, a mountain bike with studs is not a substitute. That is why people started making fat bikes.

As for crosscountry ski trails, if people are riding on the track -I'm assuming you mean the classic tracks. Then yes, they are ******bags and need to understand that isn't cool. Then again, if runners have been ruining the trails before, it sounds like the problem isn't fat bikes but people in general where you live.
Old 12-16-17, 12:33 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve put nearly 4000 miles on my Framed Minnesota 3.0 in the last 3 years. Mostly beach miles though I’ve also ridden local gravel trails, logging roads, highways, and the STP (back to back centuries). Heavily modified for my environment. Far greater adaptability then say my Colnago Dream, Defy 1, or Gary Fisher Wahoo.

Our extensive beaches and trails were the deciding factor as that environment is far safer than the narrow 2-lane blacktop.
Old 12-16-17, 06:25 PM
El Flaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my Bucksaw exclusively. The most fun I've ever had on any bike; and I've owned high-end Yetis, Gary Fishers, Treks, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0232.jpg (1.15 MB, 84 views)
Old 12-18-17, 09:19 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Liked 440 Times in 231 Posts
considering I don't even own a mountain bike I'd have to say that fat bikes are my SUV of cycling. I use them on snow or on normal summer single track and they work great.
Old 12-18-17, 03:21 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I just love the looks of fat bikes and love the smiles-per-mile. I don't ride my fattie in snow or sand. I just ride it to feel good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.