Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Comfortable shoe for casual biking that I can also walk in?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 02:06 PM
Chziime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am having more trouble than I should finding a new biking shoe.

Literally whenever I am not biking, I wear Merrell Gloves, which are amazing. They're extremely comfortable and like walking barefoot.

For biking, I wear my old Reebok Crossfit Nano 4 sneakers. However, I had to toss them because they fell apart over the years of exclusive use (they were my only shoes until I got the Glove).

I did some research and bought a Giro Rumble VR in both size 45 and 46 (I am US 11.5). The 46 was a bit too spacious and the 45 too small. A short bike ride in the size 46 was uncomfortable and painful to the bottom of my feet, and while testing out the 45 for a brisk walk, my feet were aching considerably after just a few minutes. So - I think I can ONLY wear minimalist shoes like the Gloves and CF Nanos at this point. My feet just don't like the hardness of the biking shoes.

I feel I may be limited to sneakers, especially given the fact that I don't bike "seriously" (no more than 1 hour a few times a week). I might even just hung out the same Reeboks! Still - do you have any suggestions as to what might work?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 02-01-18, 10:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
What type of pedals do you have on your bike? If they are the pedals that came with it, consider upgrading to some platform pedals.

I am currently using Merrell Moab hiking shoes with platform pedals and have no problems. I have also worn vans and tennis shoes with platform pedals and did not experience any discomfort.
Old 02-02-18, 07:48 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
normally I wear a Sketcher Vigor 2.0 all the time, riding, walking, hiking, at work. They are comfortable to me, and not too expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When the weather gets a little colder, or when I feel I need over ankle protection I wear a Sequioia Walking/hiking shoe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

And for riding I change the shoe strings to Lock Laces https://www.amazon.com/LACES-Elastic...c+shoe+strings
Old 02-02-18, 09:40 AM
Chziime

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, my pedals are what came with the bike, Wellgo M-21 ATB Pedals.

What's a recommended platform pedal that's around ~50? There are so many options...
Old 02-02-18, 10:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Chziime

What's a recommended platform pedal that's around ~50? There are so many options...
Welgo has decent platform pedals for the pricepoint under $50.

As for shoes, if you don’t run clipless and you don’t like a stiff sole, there is really not much point in looking at cycling specific shoes. A stiffer sole is usually one of the primary goals in a cycling shoe.

Even relatively “soft soled” cycling shoes are going to be more stiff than most sneakers.
Old 02-02-18, 10:53 AM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I'm wearing trail running shoes, working for me.
Old 02-02-18, 12:57 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chziime

I have Race Face Chesters on one bike https://www.amazon.com/Race-Face-Che...G49VH4BIB&th=1

And Shimano Saints MX-80 on the other. https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-MX...o+saint+pedals

Wellgo MG-1s are decent also and a little cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-MG-1-M...als&th=1&psc=1
Old 02-02-18, 01:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Generally for pedaling you will want a stiffer shoe than a sneaker. Better support. As said get a bigger flat pedal. I like sandals or a low hiking boot. Keen sandals work great for me for the summer, thick stiff sole, airy and plenty of support. Chrome, 661, vans and 510 all have something that would work.
Old 02-02-18, 01:44 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
IMHO, look at some new pedals, Fyxation makes some great options across the price scale and tons of colors also.
The Rumble VR is more of a clipless shoe. I would like at a sneaker type that strikes a balance between stiffness (on the bike) and comfort (off the bike).
Old 02-07-18, 11:46 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Casual biking at 1 hour or less? Wear whatever shoe you want, it won't matter much.
Old 02-08-18, 05:28 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
5-10s are good shoes.
Old 02-23-18, 02:07 AM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
dirtbag

I will also suggest FiveTen. I have their Dirtbag shoe and love it. It is definitely a softer, more flexible sole than I would prefer for most biking, but works on big flat pedals and is very comfortable for other use. My riding buddy uses the Freerider, which is very popular and he also wears his all over. It is more substantial than the Dirtbag, though.