Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Decent single cog freewheel + what tool?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 08:09 AM
Hatchet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am converting a 1973 Schwinn Varsity to Single Speed and have a couple questions:

The bike has a 39T chainring and based on the info here, I was thinking of getting a 15T single cog. What is a decent (but not expensive) option? I've done some looking online, but aren't able to discern which once are good value for money.

What tool will I need to install/remove the single cog freewheel? Are most common single cog freewheels compatible with Park Tool FR-6?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-18, 08:37 AM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure of the quality, but Ebay has single speed freewheels for less than four bucks.
Old 04-12-18, 09:04 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Get a 16T or larger, adjust chainring size accordingly. Generally, 4-prong freewheel tools are cross-compatible with nearly all 16T and larger 4-prong style freewheels. Smaller than 16T you're getting into old-style flip-flop BMX freewheel territory which almost no one ever used/uses.
Old 04-12-18, 10:46 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
No tool is needed to install the freewheel. For removal, the Park FR-6 will work on most 4-slot single freewheel bodies, including Shimano. As 50voltphantom notes, single freewheels with a tooth count of less than 16T are designed for metric-thread, BMX-specific hubs.
Old 04-12-18, 10:54 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlvs2run
I'm not sure of the quality, but Ebay has single speed freewheels for less than four bucks.
I did see some that cheap, but not sure of the quality either.
Old 04-12-18, 10:54 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Get a 16T or larger, adjust chainring size accordingly. Generally, 4-prong freewheel tools are cross-compatible with nearly all 16T and larger 4-prong style freewheels. Smaller than 16T you're getting into old-style flip-flop BMX freewheel territory which almost no one ever used/uses.
Thanks for that info, didn't know that.
Old 04-13-18, 11:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Be careful with these. Some of them have no provision for a removal tool, and require destructive removal if you ever need to get them off the hub.
Old 04-13-18, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchet
I did see some that cheap, but not sure of the quality either.
If you have to wonder about the quality it is always best to pass. Cheap is cheap for a reason and it is probably best you don't find out.

My favorite freewheel is White Industries, it is not cheap in any sense of the word, it is however high quality, high engagement (especially on the Trials freewheel) and high durability. Plus it is made right here in the U-knighted Shash of 'merica in Petaluma, CA. I honestly have stopped riding fixed for a while because I love those freewheels so much, they just feel nice and look nice and perform so well I think about going back to fixed and then go naw!
Old 04-14-18, 11:33 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Sturmey Archer Single Speed Freewheel I have one of these and it works flawlessly. It cost me $17 and $10 for the removal tool from SJScycle
White Industries is great however your looking at $80 for it. A buddy of mine has a Origin8 Hornet 108 Performance Freewheel $34 and he commutes everyday with it and hasn't complained in over a year about it. These are all available online
Thanks for sharing that. I've already ordered a different SS freewheel, but I will try one of these on my next SS project - they are in the right price range are a good brand name. I had seen the White Industries as well, but they are pricey.
Old 04-14-18, 04:33 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've ordered several SS freewheels from Ebay, in different sizes.
The last one was $3.51.
^ That's a cog and lock ring, not a single speed freewheel
Old 04-14-18, 06:53 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ordered several different SS freewheels from Ebay. Do you think these types would be hard to remove?

Old 04-15-18, 12:36 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
[QUOTE=jlvs2run;20284450]I've ordered several different SS freewheels from Ebay. Do you think these types would be hard to remove?

From what I can see, the pictures that you have posted to are freewheels that cannot be removed except by destructive methods. There is no notches anywhere for a freewheel removal tool to interface with.

The first freewheel shown has two dimples for a pin spanner, but I believe that is just a way to assemble the cover on to the freewheel during manufacturing.

Second picture appears to show the back of the freewheel, with notches, but you won't be able to access those notches once the freewheel is actually on the hub.

Third picture, no notches or any other interface for a tool to remove the freewheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sturmey-Arc...6MxBeJ40mDBG7A

If you look at this SA single speed freewheel, you can clearly see the 4 notches at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions for a freewheel removal tool to interface with.

Last edited by *Scuba; 04-15-18 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 09:54 AM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the details and warnings.
Old 04-15-18, 11:59 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
jlvs2run

I did a little searching online, turns out that there is a company in Europe that makes an universal freewheel removal tool. But they are like $70.
https://uniorusa.com/shop-bicycle-to...threaded-hubs/

Or here is a demonstration video of how to destructively take off a freewheel, in the video, he is using a six speed freewheel for the demo. However, the mechanism is the same inside. That top cover is reversed threaded because of the way that the wheel would rotate, hence the reason for tapping to the right to loosen it.

Not a very difficult process at all. So, if you want to only spend less than $5 on a freewheel now instead of $15, you could ride that freewheel until the teeth are worn and you need to replace it, then just remove it via the destructive method and then put on a new freewheel (installation does not require a tool, just threads on normally and riding with tighten it). Also, if you don't have a big pipe wrench or channel lock plier like that for the final step, you can also turn the entire wheel over, clamp the freewheel body in a vice and turn the wheel counterclockwise to unthread it. Just remember to grease the threads when installing any freewheels.
Old 04-15-18, 12:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Do you think these types would be hard to remove?

I don't see any place for a remover tool to engage the freewheel body, so I suspect this would require destructive removal.

This one appears to use the standard, 4-prong remover.

Again, no place for the tool to engage, so destructive removal only.
Old 04-15-18, 01:09 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by *Scuba
jlvs2run

I did a little searching online, turns out that there is a company in Europe that makes an universal freewheel removal tool. But they are like $70.
https://uniorusa.com/shop-bicycle-to...threaded-hubs/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu-5aPLZ9pY

Or here is a demonstration video of how to destructively take off a freewheel, in the video, he is using a six speed freewheel for the demo. However, the mechanism is the same inside. That top cover is reversed threaded because of the way that the wheel would rotate, hence the reason for tapping to the right to loosen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

Not a very difficult process at all. So, if you want to only spend less than $5 on a freewheel now instead of $15, you could ride that freewheel until the teeth are worn and you need to replace it, then just remove it via the destructive method and then put on a new freewheel (installation does not require a tool, just threads on normally and riding with tighten it). Also, if you don't have a big pipe wrench or channel lock plier like that for the final step, you can also turn the entire wheel over, clamp the freewheel body in a vice and turn the wheel counterclockwise to unthread it. Just remember to grease the threads when installing any freewheels.
Thanks, that tool looks good.